rear defroster tab repair - any experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.
does anyone have any experience with atom adhesives aa-prod-123 or Frost Fighter defroster tab repair adhesives or solder repair?

I've "fixed" my passenger side rear tab several times now - the second time it broke, it tore the solder pad right off. Since then, I've tried the permatex repair kit (junk) as well as trying to solder it. The trouble with soldering is that I tried using 60/40 rosin core solder and it definitely doesn't stick well. I was going to try silver-bearing solder but I'm not sure what type of flux I should use - acid vs rosin. Otherwise, I always get nervous when I hit the glass with a 300W solder gun, so I thought I'd give the adhesives a shot again.

so far, these two look to be the best shot - I know loctite makes a kit, but it's basically the same thing as the permatex kit - rear-view mirror adhesive with small bits of copper and I've tried it twice now. So far, soldering has given me the best results, but I know I'm not making a solid connection and risking my rear window shattering everytime I heat it up.

No luck with the Permatex kit either. Didn't have the guts to try soldering. Best repair was an uninsulated ring eye terminal on a pigtail. I held the shank against the contact patch by jamming the tip under the weather stripping.

One of the tabs on the rear glass on my Suburban came off. It looked like solder on the window to me so I put some flux on the solder and heated it up with a big soldering iron. As soon as it was liquid, I pressed the tab back into it and let it cool. This was about three years ago and it has been working fine ever since.
I'm pretty sure the key was to get it hot fast so not to damage the defrosting grid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back