Question on FRAM CH9972 filters (see photo)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys,

I just picked up the last 2 Fram CH9972 filters at a Tractor Supply clearance for $.79. Not a bad deal. But I'm curious why the end caps look different. Once is Made in the USA and one is made in China, but they are both the same part. Is one older? I'm just looking for information--I'm sure both of them will work and were a steal at this price.

Boy that's gotta be a perfect representation of USA vs China quality. I wouldn't even use that filter on the right.

Honestly, they're probably ALL made in Chine now, right? The filter material looked OK at a quick glance. I'll inspect it more closely after work. I don't think the current Fram's even have end caps, do they? I know the Toyota OEM filters I've been using do not.

It is plastic or rubber. I didn't examine it too extensively, but it is definitely not paper fiber, which is what the one on the right appears to be.

Looks like the date code on the USA made filter is Y22611 = 261st day of 2012. China made filter date code is 010916 = 91st day of 2011.

I just did a change on my gf's corolla, see sig for Fram part #. The end cap was plastic like the one pictured, but had made in China stamped on it. Used it without thinking twice.

Originally Posted By: mrdctaylor
It is plastic or rubber. I didn't examine it too extensively, but it is definitely not paper fiber, which is what the one on the right appears to be.

That's good to know. That's what my eyes suspected. Thanks for reaffirming my suspicion.

Dang. Those are pretty old. Then again, I've bought OEM filters by the case that were at least that old when I got to the end of it. :)

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
China made filter date code is 010916 = 91st day of 2011.

Not Jan 9 2016? Or Sept 1 2016?

Some of the filters at the tractor supply by me that are being cleared out are *completely* rusted. Others are in boxes so old that they aren't even orange anymore.

Just a washed out faint orange.

And a box design I don't ever remember seeing in the 13 years I've owned cars.

Last edited:
I see Fram apparently has recently switched production of their Extra Guard 10358 cartridges from USA to China. Except for the media, the new Chinese ones are constructed similar to the Tough Guard, which was already Chinese, and has plastic end caps. They appear better constructed than the old USA Extra Guards, in my opinion. I'm currently using a Tough Guard.

I wouldn't use either honesty because of the age and design.

As much as I like Fram, their cartridge filters just scare me. I've read about plenty of fitment complaints and seen a few with end caps separating from media.

You'll never get a recommendation from me.

After you're done with those, use Mahle oil filters thereafter
smile.gif

Does Fram actually manufacture their carts or do they just buy them from another company?

Here is a pic I took of the 2 Fram filters and an OEM Toyota. They seem pretty equivalent quality-wise.

From left to right: Fram (China), Fram (USA), Toyota.

Here is a pic I took of the 2 Fram filters and an OEM Toyota. They seem pretty equivalent quality-wise.

I like the one in the middle the best.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I like the one in the middle the best.
The newer Chinese 10358 Frams I've seen look a lot like the middle one. I believe the Toyota one is the best (most reliable) design, although its media may not be as efficient as Fram's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back