3 Million Mile Volvo Engine Tear Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Valvoline White Bottle ? Better than GTX ? Seriously ?
shocked2.gif

I've heard people say VWB has a weak add pack and they don't trust the oil to protect their engine.

Heavy trolling tonight?

Good and cheaper alternatives to Castrol GTX also include - Formula Shell, Chevron Supreme and Havoline Conventional .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Good and cheaper alternatives to Castrol GTX also include - Formula Shell, Chevron Supreme and Havoline Conventional .

How do you know? If you know something none of the rest of us know, please share.

Otherwise, its just an opinion and that's good enough reason to make your own selection but that's all it is.

I would sure like to find a way to pick the "best oil" for my use.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Valvoline White Bottle, Valvoline MaxLife, Pennzoil Yellow Bottle, Mobil 5000. Usually less expensive and better. I.M.O. div>

At our Walmart.com:

All are 10w30's..
Castrol GTX $17.47
PYB $15.27
VWB $16.97
MS5k $14.44
QSGB $14.44 (for 5w30, the 10w30 was coming up at $26.)
Supertech $11.97
Magnatec 5w30 is $17.88 (this is a full synthetic mind you.)

I would agree with Steve on the price of GTX. Can't say I've ever bought Castrol GTX either.
Their synthetics on the other hand are another story. I like their Magnatec and A3/B4 offerings. Magnatec is a huge bargain and a good oil for Ford EB engines. I try to get their Euro oils on sale at parts stores with filters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder
they exclusively used Castrol 10w40 in the fast furious movies, so we know its good
smile.gif

Ehhhhh. That makes me want to go dump my Edge 10w40...

Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder
they exclusively used Castrol 10w40 in the fast furious movies, so we know its good
smile.gif

With Spoonage engines and NOS? Bruh... No way!
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Valvoline White Bottle ? Better than GTX ? Seriously ?
shocked2.gif

I've heard people say VWB has a weak add pack and they don't trust the oil to protect their engine.

Originally Posted By: StevieC

Over priced for what performance you get. JMO that there are better conventional oils on the market than GTX for the price.

On 1960's quality oil? I seriously doubt it. Even well maintained engines in the 1970's were done at 100,000 miles.
Maybe they used a time machine to send back some modern synthetics??

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rshaw125
On 1960's quality oil? I seriously doubt it. Even well maintained engines in the 1970's were done at 100,000 miles.

I'm sure that Castrol GTX in 2017 is not the same oil as Castrol GTX in 1965. Castrol GTX in 1965 would not be able to meet today's standards. It was good oil for the time and that's all anyone can expect.

What I do suspect is that he changed the oil often in the first couple of decades. And drove gently and (mostly) long distances.

Originally Posted By: ecotourist

I'm sure that Castrol GTX in 2017 is not the same oil as Castrol GTX in 1965. Castrol GTX in 1965 would not be able to meet today's standards. It was good oil for the time and that's all anyone can expect.

What I do suspect is that he changed the oil often in the first couple of decades. And drove gently and (mostly) long distances.

OK boys, there's an article about the history of this car, found HERE.

One of the key quotes is as follows:

Quote:
Perhaps owing to the fact that he is a former schoolteacher, the Long Island native literally goes by the book in terms of maintaining his 3-million-mile Swedish car. Gordon lives by the owner’s manual. He reasons that nobody can highlight the maintenance needs of the vehicle better than its creators. Therefore, the original paint color, the strong engine (which has been rebuilt twice) and other accessories of the Volvo P1800 are still intact to this day.

The engine has been rebuilt. Twice. So the engine doesn't have 3 million miles on it.

Another article goes into a bit more detail indicating:

Quote:
In all the years Gordon's been driving the P1800, the engine has been rebuilt just twice. The first came after 680,000 miles, when Gordon insisted on a complete teardown even though the dealer said it wasn't needed.

"Like they said, there was nothing wrong," Gordon said. "I learned my lesson."

Gordon set the Guinness record back in 1998 when he passed 1.69 million miles. The car kept running like a Swiss watch until last year when he had some trouble getting over the Rockies. Another engine rebuild brought everything back in order.

"It was still running, but I was losing compression," he said. "I had one bearing that had some wear on it, and I had a cracked piston ring. I was losing oil pressure, but the cylinders and so on had very little wear on them."

So, as far as intervals:

Rebuild #1: 680,000 miles
Rebuild #2: ??? Maybe somewhere around 1.7 to 1.8 million? So over a million anyways between this one and the previous.

Present engine has the remainder, so maybe around a million as well.

Originally Posted By: mikered30
The video is just an advertisement for Castrol GTX.

Really? I never would have guessed.

A 1950's era engine with 3 million miles? No.

As per my post above, it has been rebuilt twice.

Umm... NO. Every one of our family's 60's and 70's engines went over 140K miles. They were still going at that point just got a newer vehicle. Many had even more miles than that. Of all of them, only one was retired due to engine problems. And that one, not due to lubrication related issues. Just unleaded gas in an engine without hardened valve seats. Got tired of rebuilding the heads every 80K miles.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Was Castrol GTX even around when that car was new?

I do know that it wasn't around for a short time in the late 80s, back then Castrol's conventional oil was called XLR, that's the oil I ran in my new 1988 Dodge Shadow ES Turbo.

The oil actually migrated into the metal? How does that work?
The car owner was a big believer in quality gas fwiw. I think he used Shell.

I wonder why they overhauled if it was doing so great.

Before M-1, GTX was widely considered the premier oil. Not without justification, apparently.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Did they actually overhaul the engine or just simply take it apart and inspect it?

If you read any of the Volvo mechanical manuals they are very big on measure & inspect. Machine or replace only if it falls outside tolerance. You won't get a precise answer though without talking to Irv. He's probably got the records. Apparently he's a pretty approachable bloke.

Not uncommon to "rebuild" a volvo 4 cylinder donk with rings, bearings and a quick hone. The B16/18/20 is a lightly stressed pushrod, iron block/head. If you don't wring them out the pistons and bores last pretty much forever. Not unusual to have a minimal ridge and full crosshatching at half a million clicks. If you drive it easy (as Irv has) and distance I can well imagine it doing the miles he's done with nothing more than bearings, rings and a hone. Even in boats where they see full load for a significant proportion of their hours they just keep going and going.

I love the P1800E, but it was known as the "sheep in wolfs clothing" for a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back