German Scrabble Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can read German, these long concatenated "words" are actually quite logical and easy to use. I would rather prefer this than the way that some American industries make up silly terms for something.

(but I get the joke)

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
If you can read German, these long concatenated "words" are actually quite logical and easy to use. I would rather prefer this than the way that some American industries make up silly terms for something.

(but I get the joke)

Agreed.

Funny story - When I was in high school, one of my German teachers taught us a German 'compound' word which I still remember to this day...

Windschutzscheibenzwischenmotorkugellager

Translated, basically the little ball bearings in a windshield wiper motor.

I read (and recommend) the book, "Getting the Bugs Out", the story of the Volkswagen Company. GREAT BOOK.

It was reported hat one member of the team which was assigned to refresh a VW ad campaing found the word in some paragraph from years before.

It meant "Joy of driving / traveling", or some such. They worked fahrfegnugen into some roughed out ads and presented them.

The chiefs actually got sick.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Anyone remember farfegnugen?

It is Saturday morning; they are out working on their cars.
Or they were smart enough to get rid of them and buy themselves some Toyotas!!
57.gif

When I lived in Germany, I blamed concatenation for the size of German trucks. They had to be big enough to put the concatenated name of the cargo on the side.

Gasoline powered self-propelled lawn mower would be: Benzinbetriebenerselbstfahrenderrasenmäher.

And yes, I made that up.

Some long time ago, in another land, I worked as an editor for german publishers.
The quest around the office was for the longest word:
I can't remember the exact word, but it was 65 characters and it was about a barge on a river...

Originally Posted By: bmwjohn
why? can't they import Indian kids to Germany also?

they can't do that, we won't let them off the reservation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back