Ski Boat Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
i did put a new impeller in this spring and have 1 sitting on my shelf for the coming spring. I also did the tranny fluid when I changed the oil. I used a wix oil filter. Not sure where the fuel filter is yet but I probably won't do that one every year. I actually have a 1/2 closed system so the block is full of antifreeze - it was a huge reason why I got this boat - super easy to winterize. This engine has 375 HP and WOT is 5500. I tested the compression when I got it and it was 180 on each cylinder.

I think 20w50 would be too thick for Ohio - sometimes we start skiing when it's 50 out. I think the 15w50 is on the edge of being too thick.

Cost is not a big deal to me - I will use whatever is best for my engine. Most of my Mastercraft friends run Rotella 15w40. I really feel the M1 15w50 was pretty trashed at 57 hours - seemed thin. I know color is not a big deal but it had a gritty feel to me. I was not expecting that. But I know I'm running this boat a lot harder than the last guy - he was a wake boarder.

I think you are already way ahead of the game....I have been deeply involved with ski-boats and the sport for over 40 years. None of the inboards that I am involved with....likely 50 or more over the last 40 years, none have worn out an engine before very high hours. Winterization problems have occurred on several with cracked blocks in the spring, this has also occurred with "professional" winterization. I like your closed loop cooling system and encourage those without it to refill the block with antifreeze after draining for the winter. These are "car motors" and were not really designed to guarantee total drainage...it seems a few "puddles" remain inside the block. The other failures have been heads, headgaskets, etc and issues involving cooling and water system plugging, exhaust manifold burnout and water intrusion. Keep using any good 15W40 and enjoy!

I'm talking about any engine that isn't just a complete wuss. Marine is a high performance application when you consider what the engine is doing.

A 50 will not stop or slow your engine from starting, and since it's on a thermostat regulated system, the engine oil won't care what the outside temp is once you're running. Marine V8 engines have never been known for low oil temps under load.

Thanks Guys - I'll keep on using the premium blue this year. If I notice anything odd I will check out that Schaeffer's oil. Looks like they have a retail store close to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back