Common Heavy Equipment Engine Oil Myths (2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
pretty standard stuff.

Although the part of that link thats fun for me is the one that talks about looking/ smelling using your human senses vs analysis on the oil as actually having merit - this is fun one here at bitog.

its a bit like asking Robbie the robot to commit murder...the whole place goes into overload.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UncleDave
pretty standard stuff.

Although the part of that link thats fun for me is the one that talks about looking/ smelling using your human senses vs analysis on the oil as actually having merit - this is fun one here at bitog.

its a bit like asking Robbie the robot to commit murder...the whole place goes into overload.

UD

Some of those old time methods have merit. I worked in North Africa and the Mid-East on gas turbine engines and often we got stuck fixing big diesel gen-sets to keep our systems working. An older diesel mechanic taught me a trick to find a dead cylinder on these big multi-cylinder engines, an otherwise almost impossible task without special tools. You put a drop of oil on the exhaust header where it comes off the engine an watch it sizzle. The one that does not sizzle is the dead cylinder. It sure saves a lot of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back