2010 Taurus Limited not recognizing key fob

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a 2010 Taurus limited with 100k on the clock. It has the push-button start and I have started having issues where it doesn't recognize the key fob and the car won't start. It seems to help if I press the lock/unlock button on the fob and then it will usually work. The problem was sporadic but now is much more common. I have already replaced the battery in both the fobs, so this doesn't appear to be the issue. What could be the problem and how much it would cost to fix? I hate to not be able to drive to work one day because it won't recognize the key.

Side note:
Does anyone else own this vehicle and is frustrated with the fact that the keyless ignition doesn't save any hassle? I can't unlock the car without taking the fob out of my pocket (unless I mess around with the keyless entry but that's even more hassle than using the fob) and there's no button on the exterior door to lock the vehicle, so I actually have to fumble with the keys MORE than I would with a normal ignition. The whole purpose of keyless ignition seems to be entirely negated on this oddly designed vehicle.

This must be the "PROXIMITY Key Fob" w/push button start?
The FOB needs a new battery. Even though the batteries start out at ~3.0v-3.3 v when new, when the drop down to ~2.9v or less, they need replacing. This is what I notice with mine and I have to replace the battery more often than I'd like or should. But, it is what is is.

You won’t be stuck if your fob battery goes dead. Ford vehicles with push button start have an emergency slot to put the fob in. The vehicle will then start even if the fob battery is dead. Depending on the model the spot should be either in the glove box or center console. The owners manual will tell you all about it.

Also to lock the door hit the 7-8 and 9-0 buttons simultaneously on the door pad.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cb_13
You won’t be stuck if your fob battery goes dead. Ford vehicles with push button start have an emergency slot to put the fob in. The vehicle will then start even if the fob battery is dead. Depending on the model the spot should be either in the glove box or center console. The owners manual will tell you all about it.

Also to lock the door hit the 7-8 and 9-0 buttons simultaneously on the door pad.

True - also, all automakers have this backup system....people just don't read their owner's manuals.

I have a full implementation of keyless go on my Mercedes. It has buttons for both locking and unlocking. I guess Ford did a cheaper system where the fob is only a keyless ignition system instead of entry and start/stop. The only nice thing about Ford's system is that you can lock the keys in the trunk, you probably need to put the keys in a faraday cage to block the signal as it's also set up not to lock the car if it detects that the keys are in the car. Only drawback with MB's older implementation was that the buttons to lock/unlock would get water inside eventually and you'd have to replace the door handles to the tune of about $300 each, the regular door handles were just $90.

As for your problem, it's probably the same as the MB systems. Either the key fobs electronics are going bad, you used bad batteries (cheap ones on ebay are unreliable) or the ignition system is going bad. To rule those out, switch to using the other key fob to rule out a bad key fob and get fresh batteries. The worse case is a bad ignition system. And yes, you can put the key in the ignition so that if the battery dies in the fob, you can still start the car. I'm not sure if Forscan would work with this year. That allows you to actually program new keys in Ford cars. If the keys were bad, in theory you could just buy new keys and program them to the car if Forscan works on this year, assuming the ignition system isn't bad.

The door pad should lock the keys in the car. Another fob just won’t. I very rarely take the keys out of my wife’s Fusion when driving it. I use the key pad to lock it, unlock and open the trunk. Saves me from packing around her mess of novelty keychains.

Ford has now went to the perimeter sense keys where they’ll unlock the door with a touch if the fob is nearby. Mercedes is just a few years ahead in the technology department though!

For the 2010 Taurus there's a box in the center console. Pull up on the flap and insert the fob. The car will scan it dead battery or not and the car will start.

To enter the car, walk up to it and run your finger up and down the keyless portion of the door frame. The numbers will light up and the door will unlock. No need to remember any code - just run up and down the numbers and the door will unlock if the fob is close by.

Make sure you are using GOOD batteries - I usually get 2-3 years out of them before the system gets cranky and then it's off to new batteries.

When you say it won't recognize the fob, does the display say NO KEY DETECTED or is it just dead?

Good information. I know this Q isn't intended however, I will comment.

With my car, it reads "NO KEY DETECTED", in the center dash.
I will have to read my OM to see what to do in the case where the engine won't start due to a dead key fob battery.

Thanks(I'm not hi-jacking the post)!

CB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back