MotorGuard M100 install on Triton V10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, was able to install my last MotorGuard M100 on my Triton V10. Took about an hour to do and used fittings and hoses left over from other bypass installs. I did not drain the oil but changed the full flow filter, took an oil sample and added 3 ltrs of top up oil. Here's some pictures and comments are welcome.

That braided hose scares me, but the install looks great. Nice location choice!

The pressure hose is leftover from my Amsoil install and the return line is nylon covered steel braided hose, all very good hoses with hydraulic hose fittings.

What are you running for oil and full flow filter in your V-10? What kind of TP roll did your new bypass system get? It will be interesting to see if you get more miles on the V-10 before the filter goes cold than your 6.4. I can only assume that you will with the reduction in soot loading.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
What are you running for oil and full flow filter in your V-10? What kind of TP roll did your new bypass system get? It will be interesting to see if you get more miles on the V-10 before the filter goes cold than your 6.4. I can only assume that you will with the reduction in soot loading.

I bought the cheap Napa, Pro-select brand of oil filter and it had Mobil 1 5W20, so I added 3 ltrs of the same to top the system off. I used a roll of VirJoy I brought from HongKong. I wanted to get rid of those rolls so I used that. With this gas engine I'm sure I'll be able to get at least 10,000 miles if not more on a roll. I'll send my sample off to the lab and see what the oil's like, doesn't look like the oils been changed in a long time and looks like the engine has been run far too long between oil changes.

A310

Real nice set up!!! I just bought a 2008 F350 Cab Chassis 4 x 4 with the V-10 and 6-speed manual trans. I'm planning on hooking up a Frantz Oil Refiner from Ed Greany. Good to know that I can tap into the oil port as you have noted.

Xtell, it's standard 1/4 inch pipe thread and really easy to install. Keep us posted on the Oil Refiner as I think it's very close to the same size as the MotorGuard.

A310,

Yes, the Frantz Oil Refiner is a new design and slightly larger than the traditional Frantz Filters. I have been looking for a manual transmission truck for quite a while and the used 2008 Ford F350 Cab Chassis is got is in real good condition and I want to install bypass filtration on the engine oil supply line. The 6-speed manual transmission on this truck also has an internal oil pump and oil cooler. I'm just throwing this out there - but do you think I could run a Frantz bypass filter (on the transmission fluid line) in a parallel hook up with the return line, or maybe run a standard remote filter, that uses a spin on engine oil filter and run that in-line? I can't seem to find any data / specifications as to what the oil pressure the manual transmission oil pump on these Ford Trucks is.

Originally Posted By: xtell
A310,

Yes, the Frantz Oil Refiner is a new design and slightly larger than the traditional Frantz Filters. I have been looking for a manual transmission truck for quite a while and the used 2008 Ford F350 Cab Chassis is got is in real good condition and I want to install bypass filtration on the engine oil supply line. The 6-speed manual transmission on this truck also has an internal oil pump and oil cooler. I'm just throwing this out there - but do you think I could run a Frantz bypass filter (on the transmission fluid line) in a parallel hook up with the return line, or maybe run a standard remote filter, that uses a spin on engine oil filter and run that in-line? I can't seem to find any data / specifications as to what the oil pressure the manual transmission oil pump on these Ford Trucks is.

I think you can run a Frantz inline filter on the ZF6 without any problems. All you have to do is drill out the orifice in the Frantz and it should flow more that enough oil for the ZF6. I spoke with Ed Greeny about doing the same on my 5R110 and he said will flow more than enough oil for my automatic as well. I took the safe route as the 5R110 needs a lot of oil flow through the cooler and rigged up my Amsoil/MotorGuard Dual remote instead. I made a Frantz fuel filter and drilled out the oriface and it really flows fuel, so I think it would work great in your application. Give Ed a call and pick his brain and see what he says.

Originally Posted by beanoil
I've looked for months, almost daily on eBay for an original MG100.
They just don't come up for auction. Plenty of Frantz though.

True, they are getting very scarce indeed. I found one a few months ago and bought it for a guy who wanted me to convert an M30 to an oil filter. I convinced him that it would be better to just find an M100 as it would be much cheaper than paying me to convert an M30.

Thought I would update this thread as it's been ten months and 10,000 miles of service for this MotorGuard M100. I'm replacing the rolls when they no longer flow oil which is 2000-2500 miles. In the 10,000 miles I've changed 5 rolls in the M100 and 2 full flows. I think as time goes on and the engine is finally cleaned up I will be able to increase this to 5000 miles between M100 roll changes, but only time will tell. I'll start doing yearly oil analysis from now on to keep taps on the TBN and state of the oil. Here's the latest report I got from Blackstone Labs.

Excursion.jpg

Originally Posted by A310
I convinced him that it would be better to just find an M100 as it would be much cheaper than paying me to convert an M30.

What converting is needed?

Why can't you use a regular M30 from air line use...... and use it as a bypass oil filter, just like it is?

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by A310
I convinced him that it would be better to just find an M100 as it would be much cheaper than paying me to convert an M30.

What converting is needed?

Why can't you use a regular M30 from air line use...... and use it as a bypass oil filter, just like it is?

You might be able to run a stock M30 with the plastic cores but I'm not certain at what temperature they fill start to melt or soften up. He wanted me to make a Ralph Woods style converted M30 which is a great filter, but I've been too busy working on my Detroit swap to be making filters. I've made a few of the converted M30's and they are really nice filters, but in my opinion are no better than the M100. This is on of my M30's converted:

IMG_3623.JPG

IMG_3654.JPG

IMG_3653.JPG

IMG_3647.JPG

I just searched to see if I could find either the M100 or the converted M30's, but no luck.

FYI: If one happens to search for Ralph Woods products, please make sure your search filter is on. There's another very popular Ralph Woods who does things that definitely are not related to bypass filtration.

holy crap that shows to be dirty as heck, by chance does anyone know that method or system Blackstone is using for PC testing

Originally Posted by Purpfox
holy crap that shows to be dirty as heck, by chance does anyone know that method or system Blackstone is using for PC testing

To the best of my knowledge Blackstone uses the pore blockage method for PC.

A310, how's the M100 and V10 doing these days? Is it finally cleaning up or are you still plugging up bypass elements every 2500-3000 miles? I'm at about 1500 miles on the 4Runner Oil Refiner right now and it's still warming up relatively quickly so it must still be flowing alright. I check it about every 200 miles 5-10 minutes after a cold start to see if it's warm so that I can hopefully catch it relatively soon after it stops flowing.

Hope all is well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back