0W-16 is here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
edit...I take it the difference in fonts on the pic was what grabbed your attention and thus accusations ?

I have no idea what the cricky-[censored] you're talking about...

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Here's the paper at the SAE site...
http://papers.sae.org/922342/

The curve is EXACTLY what the stribeck curve tells you should happen.

The paper stated that they FORMULATED oils to meet those grades...not that they bought off the shelf 0W20s...it's in the description.

BTW, did you read the thread that you linked to ?

DanielLD was claiming that Stribeck doesn't work, when he doesn't even grasp what it is, per his later admissions...that his lab would have used it if it did....how would a UOA lab use the Stribeck curve in UOA ???

BTW...hanging off his coat-tails is pretty unbecoming, as I've been in touch with his "mentor"...that's all I'll say.

Oh great, they "formulated" their own 0W-20! ***** Sounds legit!

Yeah, what a great ducking SAE paper!

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: Tony10s
Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: Driz
I’d wait a few years at least. Let the other guy be the one to find out how thin is too thin.

I have a belief that the engineers who say this oil is OK in the motors they have designed know more than the shade tree mechanics on BITOG.

Whatever. What about when vehicles that were spec'd for 5W-30 were then suddenly back-spec'd to 5W-20. Didn't the engineers know what they were doing when 5W-30 was originally spec'd for those vehicles? And then Ford changes back to 5W-30 again for some applications. I believe people can read the writing on the wall.

People can think for themselves and decide whether or not they will run these CAFE-driven oils (5W-20, 0W-20, 0W-16, etc).

I used M1 5-20 in 1978 in an engine calling for 10-40. No CAFE then and the 5-20 performed very well. 0-20 still performs well today. I have put about 400K on Ford engines with 0-20 in recent years.

This is coming from the person who also said people should use what is spec'd for the vehicle and that he would use 10W-40 if the owner's manual called for it. And regardless of your constant posts about how long you've used Mobil 1 5W-20/0W-20 or whatever, these thin oils like 0W-20, 0W-16, 0W-12, etc, are CAFE driven.

Tony10,
Yes, I would use a 40wt oil if the engine called for it today. 40 years ago things were much different than today with all the spec's we have now. Back then(1978) I lived in Maine and had to endure the cold sub zero starts with all 16 lifters clacking because of very poor oil flow to the upper end of my Chevy V8. M1 5-20 solved that problem. Today 0-20 oils perform very well in engines calling for 20 wt. CAFE or not.

Last edited:
CAFE may have been the pusher for 0w-20 oils but the oil companies have responded with solid products. New paradigms are tough to adjust to for many but as time goes by we see that the thin oils are just as durable for the applications they are specified for as are the other grades of oil.

Tig1 is just one of millions who use 0w oils with success.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
CAFE may have been the pusher for 0w-20 oils but the oil companies have responded with solid products. New paradigms are tough to adjust to for many but as time goes by we see that the thin oils are just as durable for the applications they are specified for as are the other grades of oil.

I would re0lace durable with adequate,

Today 0-20 oils perform very well in engines calling for 20 wt. CAFE or not.

My 2016 5.3 Tahoe loves Mobil 1 0w20. Was in several 2015 plus livery Suburban's over the summer in NYC and asked the drivers what oil they used. They all said 0w20 and Mobil 1 was their favorite oil. Some of those Suburban's had 200K miles on them plus a ton of idling time t-boot.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr

The 425K I have put on engines in recent years with 0-20 has proven to me this oil is very durable in all temps. -10F to +119F.

The 425K I have put on engines in recent years with 0-20 has proven to me this oil is very durable in all temps. -10F to +119F.

PimTac is 100% correct. And like it or not, CAFE or not... the march towards lower viscosity is continuing. This thread could have one million posts, it wouldn't make a difference.

^^^ Same here. And Ford switched back to 5W-30 from 5W-20 in some of their applications. It's obvious why they did that. So, the march towards lower viscosities didn't continue with them completely, and it hasn't with me either. I've never used a 0W-20 oil, and have only used a 5W-20 oil a limited number of times. None of the vehicles I have owned to this point have called for a 0W-20 oil. And I just don't see how a less than 20 wt oil can be a good thing for engines. To each his own I guess. With all these thin oils, I have to wonder about potential timing chain issues down the road.

I think the 0w20 oils are a fair amount better than the 5w20s. Much higher percentage of synthetic group 4 or 5 oils in those generally speaking. Another aspect about the 0w20s is that some of them have HTHS values of 2.6-2.8. Which is fairly strong and high for a twenty grade oil. I wouldn't mind running them in certain applications. There are some where I would rather have a 5w30 in them. Just all depends upon the vehicle and how it is set up to run.

Originally Posted By: Tony10s
^^^ Same here. And Ford switched back to 5W-30 from 5W-20 in some of their applications. It's obvious why they did that. So, the march towards lower viscosities didn't continue with them completely, and it hasn't with me either. I've never used a 0W-20 oil, and have only used a 5W-20 oil a limited number of times. None of the vehicles I have owned to this point have called for a 0W-20 oil. And I just don't see how a less than 20 wt oil can be a good thing for engines. To each his own I guess. With all these thin oils, I have to wonder about potential timing chain issues down the road.

215K on the 2007 Fusion at 10K OCIs with no timing chain problems.

I had never tried a 0W-20 until the other day. AAP had Idemitsu for 75 cents/quart, so I tried it as an experiment. I figured I’d only be out $5 if i didn’t like it. It’s noticeably quieter than the 5W-20 I had, it must have a lot of Group IV in it. I went back and got more.

Originally Posted By: wemay

PimTac is 100% correct. And like it or not, CAFE or not... the march towards lower viscosity is continuing. This thread could have one million posts, it wouldn't make a difference.

...and you can bet that there will be a half a million posts proclaiming that 10w-60 "protects" better even if the engine isn't designed for it. I would say that there's no difference between "adequate" or "durable" if you can get 200K miles out of either with proper maintenance. The majority of the car buying public don't keep vehicles longer than that so it matters much more to the Bitoger with the 375K mile signature and not someone who typically gets a new or used vehicle every 5-7 years.

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky

...and you can bet that there will be a half a million posts proclaiming that 10w-60 "protects" better even if the engine isn't designed for it.

Really ?

Link us up with a handful of the half million then...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back