Buying a house! Hard to find a non hoa area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to be able to save money and put a landscaping trailer in the backyard, but all the houses in my area have an hoa and they're parked 6ft away from another.

Glad I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere

Last edited:
Ask some neighbors about the HOA. They aren't all bad and usually the people who complain are far in the minority or don't even live in an HOA. My HOA in Denver was very helpful and great and my new HOA here in Virginia seems to be well liked as well.

A HOA is a Home Owners Association. Basically its for people that want to buy a house, but still want to be treated like they are renting. Lol....

They are good and bad. Alot of towns have ordinances that will protect the majority of the homeowners without needing an HOA.

I was part of one before, not terrible, but I prefer living out in the country and if I want to paint my house Orange I can.

They can help keep the riff raff out, and can help protect property values. But in extreme cases where there was a "bad" HOA, it can actually hurt property values.

One of my problems is there are many HOAs that are lax when it comes time to enforce the rules, If you dont enforce the rules, than whats the point. And there is usually at least one person that thinks they are exempt from the rules.

Last edited:
Oh we call them Condo Boards here. Thanks
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Are you allowed to park in the street?

A car or truck? Yes A boat no. I'd like to to just stick my boat in the driveway.

Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool
A HOA is a Home Owners Association. Basically its for people that want to buy a house, but still want to be treated like they are renting.

They are good and bad. Alot of towns have ordinances that will protect the majority of the homeowners without needing an HOA.

I was part of one before, not terrible, but I prefer living out in the country and if I want to paint my house Orange I can.

They can help keep the riff raff out, and can help protect property values. But in extreme cases where there was a "bad" HOA, it can actually hurt property values.

One of my problems is there are many HOAs that are lax when it comes time to enforce the rules, If you dont enforce the rules, than whats the point. And there is usually at least one person that thinks they are exempt from the rules.

HOAs are only a problem if you don't read the covenants before buying the house. I flat out shake my head when people KNEW the rules before they bought the property but then have the gall to complain AFTER they settled in. A properly run HOA will preserve your home's value and make your real estate an appreciating asset.

And of all the HOAs I've been in.. nobody ever wants to be on the board but also has nothing but complaints about the rules or enforcement. In those cases just nominate yourself to become a board member and then change things up.. it's as simple as that.

There is a lot of countryside around Houston.
Why not look at older, isolated and well established neighborhoods out in the sticks?
HOAs tend to exist only in relatively recently built subdivisions.
We neither have nor want one here.

I owned a Townhouse years ago. The HOA actually protected my rights a few times. I know its hard to believe. I will never live in an HOA community again. I'd rather live out in the hills.

I will be moving from the NY country to a home in DE with a HOA. The HOA is pretty restrictive and that is basically to make sure all the homes are high end. For example you cannot rent the house or AIRBNB. The front cannot be siding, must be stone or brick or stucco. The sides and back can be siding. Landscape must be approved. But only about 20 houses. There are many much larger developments with very similar houses and HOA.
places with

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool
A HOA is a Home Owners Association. Basically its for people that want to buy a house, but still want to be treated like they are renting.

HOAs are only a problem if you don't read the covenants before buying the house. I flat out shake my head when people KNEW the rules before they bought the property but then have the gall to complain AFTER they settled in. A properly run HOA will preserve your home's value and make your real estate an appreciating asset.

And of all the HOAs I've been in.. nobody ever wants to be on the board but also has nothing but complaints about the rules or enforcement. In those cases just nominate yourself to become a board member and then change things up.. it's as simple as that.

Best post on here about HOA's.

If you live in a developed neighborhood with lots of homes, a well managed and rules-enforced HOA is a great thing. If an HOA is poorly managed and almost zero rules are enforced....they stink. You end up basically paying for nothing.

Otherwise, living out in the country is a good option if that is what a person wants.

Yeah the houses here are about as useful as a Honda Civic. I did find one that was nice, but it had vinyl siding and was overpriced. probably should have gotten it. you could have stuck multiple trailers in the back, plus it had a car port and no HOA. That was when I first started looking, so I didn't want to jump on the first one. I had no idea it would be this difficult.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back