Engine Damage from Starting Fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Try that with a diesel lol

We have to save some surprises don't we?
lol.gif

If I remember back to Uni, ether has an octane rating of virtually zero...which is why it will start diesels with failed glow plugs.

Running the engine at load would be the real test.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
BTW, here's a pic of the favourite starting fluid from downunder...

14550.jpg

Classic, simple, and real.

If that were a US product, it would be called "[censored], start you [censored]!"

thumbsup2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish there weren't snow flakes in North America worrying about censoring this kind of stuff. Would make for a much more humorous advertising. We do have TV shows once an a while that show us what they get away with in Europe and Australia and it's usually really funny.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I wish there weren't snow flakes in North America worrying about censoring this kind of stuff. Would make for a much more humorous advertising. We do have TV shows once an a while that show us what they get away with in Europe and Australia and it's usually really funny.

Hush. Methinks I hear the jangling keys of an approaching mod.

Instead of starting fluid, I use butane. Seems to work, IIRC has a quite high octane number, and wont wash oil off the cylinder walls or contaminate your oil.

Try that with a diesel lol Hunh? Charlie used to give his D 4 a squirt right after he opened the air intake. Mebbe later diesel..? If you read the can, most say, they carry an oil film.
27.gif

Late Model Cars: If you spray it into an intake leading directly to the MAF sensor, it can bugger it up!
The hot wire sensor can't be exposed to liquids, the wire element can be overdriven to the point
of blowing $$.

If you have to use it, spray into the intake ahead of the air filter, it'll be vapour by the time it
gets to the MAF. Typically, if a late model engine won't start, starting fluid is no solution any way!

Cars with Carbs: no prob! unless you some how 'flood' it.

No MAF on my Dodge! Just an Air Temperature Sensor in the airbox and Map Sensor.
grin2.gif

Not that I would need this...

Last edited:
I generally buy carb cleaner to use on the OPE only. It is more versatile than ether. EFI is hard not to like. I never needed anything extra to get the cars started.

Originally Posted By: thunderfog
Oh my, I have never seen this guy's videos before... he's great! He cooked bacon in a crankcase using veg. oil!

Why?

Lemme guess

"Can you cook bacon in a crankcase using veg. oil? Lets find out!"

NO

Let's not bother.

Because its a stupid and pointless thing to do.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Try that with a diesel lol

We have to save some surprises don't we?
lol.gif

We had an 06' Ford F350 with the 6.0 diesel (no guys that's not the joke...) at my old job that the FCIM went kaput. Instead of replacing it they bought a case of starting fluid. Anything under 50* and not plugged in they had to use the starting fluid. Needless to say it didn't make it past the second winter. New guy thought half a can would do. I missed it but apparently they said it was "epic."

Originally Posted By: Delta
We had an 06' Ford F350 with the 6.0 diesel (no guys that's not the joke...) at my old job that the FCIM went kaput. Instead of replacing it they bought a case of starting fluid. Anything under 50* and not plugged in they had to use the starting fluid. Needless to say it didn't make it past the second winter. New guy thought half a can would do. I missed it but apparently they said it was "epic."

A fitting end to any Ford 6.0 diesel.

Originally Posted By: andyd
I generally buy carb cleaner to use on the OPE only. It is more versatile than ether.

+1
Look for carb cleaner that has "hydrocarbon propellant" listed on the label, which is propane. You can use it on ANY engine... OPE, car, truck, boat, gas, or diesel. If an engine won't fire using carb cleaner, it won't start, and you have a problem that isn't fuel related (unless the engine is flooded).

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: thunderfog
Oh my, I have never seen this guy's videos before... he's great! He cooked bacon in a crankcase using veg. oil!

Why?

Lemme guess

"Can you cook bacon in a crankcase using veg. oil? Lets find out!"

NO

Let's not bother.

Because its a stupid and pointless thing to do.

Irrationally angry much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back