Which brake grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dogememe
Which one is best? I'd like to stick with just one, for all the tasks (slide pins, pad hardware, etc) rather than getting both the little ones. One less thing to lose
wink.gif
thanks all!

2GPchJS.jpg

The Permatex on the very left. It's silicone-based, not PAO based. The rest of those will swell rubber. I've used an older version of it with success.

However, I'm weary of using solid lubricants on rubber bushings.

Last edited:
Ended up getting Sil-Glyde from Napa for the slide pins, and using the Versachem for the rest of the brake job (since I realized I'd bought some a while ago and found it). So far so good! Thanks for your input on the Sil-Glyde
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
All these years I thought Sil-Glyde was full synthetic.

The Critic and I have been harping about this for several years. Most people are in denial about the miniscule silicone AND no synthetic in Sil Glyde. But, the test of time has proven it to be a good, rubber safe product.

Here's an enlightening older msds where they used to show the ingredients: https://www.bemidjistate.edu/offices/environmental_health_safety/files/msds/Sil-Glyde_Grease.pdf

Regarding your statement about non-objective opinions regarding swelling from certain greases, do a Google search about it. The fact that there is quite a lot of discussion should make a person wary to use anything besides Sil Glyde or a true silicone product. Unfortunately, it took the school of hard knocks to teach me about some of the new fangled unicorn dust products.

Take care, and keep the important things in life well lubed!

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
All these years I thought Sil-Glyde was full synthetic.

The Critic and I have been harping about this for several years. Most people are in denial about the miniscule silicone AND no synthetic in Sil Glyde. But, the test of time has proven it to be a good, rubber safe product.

I've used Sil-Glyde with success in the past, the castor oil component that it uses is also used by the British in their red rubber grease and as the lubricant component of Castrol RR363 brake fluid for older Rolls-Royce/Bentley cars. RR363 still has to meet DOT specs for glycol ether-based brake fluids.

While most "organic" oils will harm EPDM rubber, it seems castor oil doesn't?

I was going to start a new thread but I figured I would ask my question here since it is related.

I’m changing pads and rotors this weekend and need to pick up some more brake grease/lube.

I started looking online and then out of boredom (and curiosity) I started looking at the differences and comparing.

Should I use something like Sil-Glyde or CRC Silaramic on the slide pins/boots and then the CRC Brake & Caliper Synthetic Grease for the metal-to-metal points (pad ears, back of pads, etc since it contains moly? Or, can I use Sil-Glyde or Silaramic on all parts?

Originally Posted By: Mossyoakglock

Should I use something like Sil-Glyde or CRC Silaramic on the slide pins/boots and then the CRC Brake & Caliper Synthetic Grease for the metal-to-metal points (pad ears, back of pads, etc since it contains moly? Or, can I use Sil-Glyde or Silaramic on all parts?

That's a good approach, I've never used CRC's Silaramic on rubber parts and since it does have a little solid lubricant(zinc oxide), I'd apply it sparingly to the slide pins.

Originally Posted By: nthach

That's a good approach, I've never used CRC's Silaramic on rubber parts and since it does have a little solid lubricant(zinc oxide), I'd apply it sparingly to the slide pins.

+1 for Syl Glyde

Originally Posted By: nthach

If that's the case I'll stick with Sil-Glyde and the CRC Grease.

I got into cleaning and lubing the 528e's calipers. They were prone to trouble because the car went about 200 miles total the last 3yrs it was on the road. I'm still using the Sil-Glyde I bought 10 yrs ago. I basically take the calipers apart , clean them and use the Sil-Glyde as assembly lube. Everything else gets brake grease. If I'm careful, I can reuse the dust boot and seal. I developed a MOP Method Of Procedure for the process. It evolved from an emergency repair performed by my BIL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back