Noise abatement takeoffs from Tampa

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not the best airplane passenger in the world, and every time we take off from TPA, it's a noise abatement takeoff where instead of a nice steady climb-out, we take off, then the pilots throttle back to what sounds and feels like idle, until we are away from populated neighborhoods, then we resume the climb. It freaks me out every time.

I have been reading about the procedure to takeoff from John Wayne Airport, that sounds even worse. Ugh.

Haw! It feels funny to "stop" in an airplane, doesn't it?

I love TIA, one of the best I've ever flown into or out of, one heck of an efficient design...

Those people chose to live near those airports they can live with the noise. That is a unsafe practice which could cause an aircraft to stall out.

I"m sure they are operating the aircraft well within safety standards as set forth by both the FAA and manufacturers specs.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Haw! It feels funny to "stop" in an airplane, doesn't it?

I love TIA, one of the best I've ever flown into or out of, one heck of an efficient design...

I agree.

Has any commercial aircraft stalled during this procedure?

I experienced this coming out of Hong Kong a few years back. A young girl sitting forward of us started screaming which added to the whole experience.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Those people chose to live near those airports they can live with the noise. That is a unsafe practice which could cause an aircraft to stall out.

My thoughts exactly about the people living there. Every few years there is a huge push to either close or get the flight paths to Santa Barbara Airport (SBA) changed. Now if you look at an overview of the city, technically it is in Goleta, it is the single largest landmark. Also it has been there since the 40s way before probably 99% of the people here lived here. I have lived under the flight path my whole live and literally the only time I notice it is when a fire bomber takes off or there is something where I say "That's not United" which is usually a military aircraft.

Well constant noises can be very disturbing to the health and wellbeing of people. Nothing bad about trying to be good neighbors....
smile.gif

I doubt if it's unsafe as no pilot would be doing it. They know the stall speed and how much flaps they need at that speed.

Be careful of what you wish for. Years ago people around Raleigh complained about 727 noise. American moved their hub out of Raleigh.

We get a ton of flights over my house on approach to CVG...I just looked at google maps and we're 12 miles almost due north of the airport as the crow flies. I hear the planes and love nothing more than watching them overhead, but there's also a big difference between arriving and departing flights as far as the noise signature. I wonder how high the average arriving flight is when it's 12 miles out...

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Also it has been there since the 40s way before probably 99% of the people here lived here.

YES!

People who don't like airplane noise should not buy houses near airports.

PERIOD.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Also it has been there since the 40s way before probably 99% of the people here lived here.

YES!

People who don't like airplane noise should not buy houses near airports.

PERIOD.

I still get super excited when I can tell something flying over isn't a normal plane. Hearing a radial or more recently a Super Hornet or Harrier gets me running out of the house to check it out.

My family moved here to work for Aero Spacelines to build the Guppy in the late 60s. My house is like a Guppy museum so I am totally happy with the airport.

Funny story, when I was younger and a cadet in Civil Air Patrol we got to go on flights on C-130s out of Port Hueneme. They let me up on the flight deck when they were doing a couple touch and go's into SBA. The co-pilot saw I was from Santa Barbara squadron and asked what the big no-fly zone was approach. I looked and told him it was Hope Ranch where a ton of old rich people live. The pilot and co-pilot looked at each-other and smiled and we proceeded to buzz Hope Ranch a few times.

There are ways to check the location of airports when one is looking for a home. They usually stay put in the same location for a long, long time. You can even look at Google images and figure out which way the runway(s) are pointed. Most airplanes take off from the runways and it's the same day after day. It's not quite as certain as railroad tracks but it's pretty close.

I lived in the path of Lindberg in San Diego for a while, in Pt. Loma. The only time I thought about the noise was when someone asked. It was much worse in the days of prop planes. The jets are not only quieter but the leave much quicker.

With Google Earth, there's no need to be caught off guard.

Many years ago my brother was training with a major airline, and riding the jump seat observing operations in and out of John Wayne. During pre departure brief, copilot advised the pilot (new to route) that tape on throttle quadrant was the point to pull throttle levers back to for noise abatement. After takeoff, pilot reduces throttles so front of lever is even with tape, rather than the rear of lever. The plane slowed to stick shaker speed with engines just above idle. The ensuing loss of altitude while engines were spooling up put the 737 very low over a subdivision. My brother said they were discussing whether engine thrust may have blown some tiles off the roof of one of the taller homes they over flew. The tower controller advised they were about to hit the crash button, because they actually lost sight of the airliner for 20 seconds. After he was checked out, he always cheated a bit on the departure speed reduction because of that,

There used to be a street with homes on it that ran parallell to the runway at the Reno airport. Some of the residents obviuosly enjoyed it and built observation towers in their backyards. Some government agency decided it wasn't safe to have homes so close to the runway and the houses were purchased and demolished. The empty neighborhood is now part of some sort of safety buffer zone.

I seem to recall that HUGE areas of residential homes were bought up west of Lambert Field in Bridgeton MO maybe 20 years ago as part of an expansion/noise abatement program. It was really odd driving near those "ghost subdivisions" before they were torn down.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

It is not unsafe at all to reduce power in a climb so long as the rate of climb is reduced as well. Aircraft AOA (inversely proportionate in a steady state climb or level flight to aircraft speed) is what causes an aircraft to stall. So long as the aircraft is on speed for the climb profile there is no danger at all.

In fact it feels significantly more dramatic than it is due to what your inner ear is telling you is happening. Your senses interpret the reduction in thrust and change in pitch attitude of the aircraft as the airplane stopping or falling, this couldn't be further from the truth, you're still in a stable climb or level flight depending on the departure procedure for the particular airport.

Pilots who get themselves into stick shaker or other near stall conditions as evidenced by one story posted here above did so because they were too slow which results in either a self induced or FMC induced increase in AOA to the point of stall buffet or stall, some FMC systems are smart enough to know stall regimes based off a comparison of aircraft speed and gross weight. The P-3 I flew had no such system, your only protection from stall was a visual scan and keeping enough speed on the aircraft. The P-8 has a computer based system which triggers a stick shaker. It may be worth mentioning that stick shaker is not a stall, it is to warn the pilot of an impending stall condition.

Originally Posted By: Langanobob
There used to be a street with homes on it that ran parallell to the runway at the Reno airport. Some of the residents obviuosly enjoyed it and built observation towers in their backyards. Some government agency decided it wasn't safe to have homes so close to the runway and the houses were purchased and demolished. The empty neighborhood is now part of some sort of safety buffer zone.

At least those residents got it. If I lived closer to a major airport I would totally do that. Whenever I have to go down to LA for something I will go to the lookout point for LAX, some awesome plane viewing there.

To everyone that thinks something is unsafe with this issue, I would implore you to contact the FAA with your concerns. If it isn't worth your time to do so I would think this is just internet posturing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back