Thinking of buying...1994 Volvo wagon as a DD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys!

How crazy am I to consider a rust free 1994 Volvo as a daily driver.

It has 120k miles and shifts and runs perfectly.

It's simple as toast and looks pretty good.

800 bucks takes it. Any thoughts?

Ryan

I'd give it a try. Those old ones are built like tanks..and about as fast as one too.

For a 23 year old Volvo with only 120 K, I’m seeing red flags. Check it’s history carefully and if it checks out OK, jump on it. I would love to find one of those in good condition.

Volvo what? An 850? Or a 940/960? I don't care for the FWD Volvo's but if it's a RWD old school I'd be all over it for $800.

What model is it?
Turbo or non?
1993 was the last year for the 240 series so.....it's a 740 or 760??
If it has a 4 cyl. I'll come buy it. Many say to avoid the 6's of that era.
Where in Peterborough, NH is it? (street and house number , please)

Me? I'm on my 3rd V70 (a '99, an '02 and a '07-just so you know)

760 is ok. The early 960s had some issues but the ones with the porous blocks would be dead or replaced well before now. I prefer the 4 however.

I paid $200 for my current 740 wagon back in 2011. I reckon I can park my wife's golf in the back. A good hauler of IKEA flat packs.

Nice price but it won't hold up in an accident against a vehicle with 25 years' more technology, even if it is a Volvo. People frequently don't consider crashworthiness
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
No way in [censored] would I consider that Volvo.

Buy a Mazda 3 hatchback.

You could put that Mazda in the back of the Volvo. Although if you can find a Mazda for $800 jump on it.

A good friend had an 850 that was an excellent car, no problems, drove great, huge cargo area. Depends on your situation, will $800 bust you if it's no good? Is it might be fun 2nd car thing?

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
No way in [censored] would I consider that Volvo.

Buy a Mazda 3 hatchback.

You could put that Mazda in the back of the Volvo. Although if you can find a Mazda for $800 jump on it.

A good friend had an 850 that was an excellent car, no problems, drove great, huge cargo area. Depends on your situation, will $800 bust you if it's no good? Is it might be fun 2nd car thing?

The 940 wagon was only 4 cu.ft more cargo space than the Focus wagon behind the back seats, probably a bit more with the seats down.
The 940 is much "cooler" though, and would be a fun utility car if you have the time and skills to make it reliable, or do an LS swap!
For an $800 DD wagon probably a well maintained Focus wagon with rotten rockers would be the best, provided you can patch up the rockers yourself. 30+mpg and AC that works, etc...

If you can fix the minor accessories (interior lights,windows, etc.), or don't care if they all work it may be a fine car. If not you may end up at the repair shop every month getting nickeled and dimed until you eventually cry uncle.

As usual, condition and your abilities are paramount.
I know you could readily sell it given all the Volvo freaks around the Northeaast.

Get back with details.

Runs and drives great? Don't see how you can go wrong for that money.

I've been fantasizing lately (since getting my '82 Mercedes diesel) about a 240 wagon for the wife. Would want a diesel but the D24 is a bit less appealing than my OM617 turbo.

Last edited:
If 120K is true. The car hasn't been driven enough. Generally, early 100k miles, you are looking at worn out brakes, suspension, exhaust, ignition,?? . I had that trouble with the last '88 528e. Expect it to leak everything liquid, plus electrical gremlins. How is the rust? If you are a DIYer, and good with a DVOM , go for it.800 is gonna be the tip of the iceberg though.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Lol. Thanks guys.

It's literally rust free underneath. Nice and clean.

The interior needs work, but mechanically I can fix anything on it myself.

The rest....who cares!

OK. I'm going to take a swing at it

It's a 4 cyl auto.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Nice price but it won't hold up in an accident against a vehicle with 25 years' more technology, even if it is a Volvo. People frequently don't consider crashworthiness
21.gif

I don't plan to crash ... I'd take a '54 Chevy over most of what's on offer today. Tonnage matters
laugh.gif

It's a pre Ford Volvo. It's sturdy, well built and easy to service. If it does not give you another 200K worth of service it's your fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back