AC not working 2015 Charger compressor not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up my Charger last Monday and even though it was 27 degrees last night I decided to see how cold the AC was in this car. Turned on the AC and everything lights up (button dash and also on the 8.4 Uconnect screen) but........no compressor kick in. It just blows whatever temp the cabin temp is. This is with the recirc on. If I open to fresh air, yeah it gets cold quick with 27 degree air lol

I asked over in the Charger Forums and so far the reply I got was that the compressor won't turn on if the ambient temp outside is less than 60 degrees?? Does this make sense? I don't think I've ever had a car where I couldn't turn on the AC regardless of the temperature

Can anyone who has a Charger or 300 or I imagine a RAM verify this?

Again everything lights up like it should come on but missing that familiar sound and rpm drop when the compressor turns on.

Thanks

An automotive A/C compressor typically won't run at temps below ~55F or so. Not enough heat load for the refrigerant. The evap core would freeze up, etc.

Like said, why would you want it to, or need it to when the ambient air is that cold?

Originally Posted By: JTK
Like said, why would you want it to, or need it to when the ambient air is that cold?

He's just testing the controls in his new ride. No harm no foul, I guess, in him asking the question.

Originally Posted By: Danno

He's just testing the controls in his new ride. No harm no foul, I guess, in him asking the question.

Yep, exactly right lol. I saw a thread somewhere on the cost of ac parts and thought maybe I should test it before I turn over 36k.

I tested this morning and at 36 degrees the compressor did turn on when I turned on the ac and cold air did come out. I guess I’m just not used to the way the Charger climate system works

The compressor kicking on is very subtle compared to my 4 bangers lol

Hey thanks guys, I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t looking at a $$$$ repair even before it was registered

On any car, the compressor will not run if the evaporator temperature is below freezing.

Normal operation on most cars, the temp may vary a bit from manufacturer to manufacturer but not by much eg VW has a 40F setting.
Others allow/command it run if the coolant temp is above circa 120f on defrost to insure the evaporator core wont ice.

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose

Yep, exactly right lol. I saw a thread somewhere on the cost of ac parts and thought maybe I should test it before I turn over 36k.

Sorry Goose! Didn't mean to come off snarky there.. I missed the "test" part.

You're right about the almost non-detectable compressor cycling thing on Dodges. You'd maybe notice a click was about it with our 2013 Grand Caravan with the Pentastar.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose

Sorry Goose! Didn't mean to come off snarky there.. I missed the "test" part.

You're right about the almost non-detectable compressor cycling thing on Dodges. You'd maybe notice a click was about it with our 2013 Grand Caravan with the Pentastar.

No worries my friend! No offense taken
smile.gif

I actually learned quite a bit about ac systems today
grin.gif

Aren't most manufacturers using a variable displacement compressor that doesn't click on and off like the old days? I know I can't tell when the compressor cycles in my Jeep.

Both are common on new cars, this car apparently uses a common 7SB series with magnetic clutch, most of the electronic control valve models don't need a magnetic clutch as they can reduce down to 1% so you wouldn't hear/feel it engage.

EV cars will almost certainly use and electronically controlled unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back