Mixing 0W-20 Idemitsu and 10W-40=5W-30..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I picked up a bunch of Idemitsu 0W-20 from Advance Auto on clearance. I have always understood that mixing oils of different weights will net the average viscosity of the oils used in the mix. With that said, I recently changed the oil in my truck (2005 Chevy 5.3L) and beater car (2000 Honda Accord 2.3L) with a 50/50 mix of Idemitsu 0W-20 and 10W-40 (various brands used). Will be changed at the standard OCI or in the case of the Honda, probably earlier. Curious what you guys think of this.

Thanks
Travis

I think it would be fine, especially for an older vehicle with lower specs. I wouldn’t do a long interval, but it’s so cheap you wouldn’t need to. A lot of forum members have tried it, just look up “Frankenblend”.

Last edited:
It's fine and there's no such thing as "especially for an older vehicle with lower specs". No matter what the vehicle or specs, use the oil viscosity recommended for the operating environment whether you mix to reach that viscosity or buy it off the shelf that way.

If a vehicle has a lower service grade spec'd, that doesn't mean "just needs to be that good". It will also benefit from the higher modern spec oil, it's just that they couldn't spec something that wasn't available for testing at the time.

Last edited:
Dave9...how do you mix to achieve the desired properties ?

Can you provide us with (say) an SAE or API guideline on how to achieve your desired specifications and outcomes through mixing OTC certificated products ?

I would guess that a 50/50 mix of 0w20 and 10w40 would result in something very close to a 5w30.
I probably wouldn't run such mix in the winter but see no issue running it in the other 3 seasons (because of unknown cold weather characteristics).

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Dave9...how do you mix to achieve the desired properties ? . . .

I'm going to guess he uses a funnel.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Hounds
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Dave9...how do you mix to achieve the desired properties ? . . .

I'm going to guess he uses a funnel.
grin.gif

And a Mk1 eyeball.

I really didn’t mean the API rating. I meant I wouldn’t do it in an engine that calls for Dexos, BMW LL-04, etc.

Originally Posted By: TurboTravis
Hey guys,

I picked up a bunch of Idemitsu 0W-20 from Advance Auto on clearance. I have always understood that mixing oils of different weights will net the average viscosity of the oils used in the mix. With that said, I recently changed the oil in my truck (2005 Chevy 5.3L) and beater car (2000 Honda Accord 2.3L) with a 50/50 mix of Idemitsu 0W-20 and 10W-40 (various brands used). Will be changed at the standard OCI or in the case of the Honda, probably earlier. Curious what you guys think of this.

Thanks
Travis

I used to mix different oil weights all the time back in the day. We call it FRANKENBREW. You're not doing anything wrong. Keep on mixing!
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

Originally Posted By: pbm
I would guess that a 50/50 mix of 0w20 and 10w40 would result in something very close to a 5w30.

I have a lot of full synthetic 0W-20 that I got on clearance,
but I don't like to tow heavy loads with it.

I add a little Syn-Blend Mystik 15W-50 (same as I run in my Evo Harley) for my "FRANKENBREW" in my F150.

Originally Posted By: wemay
http://www.widman.biz/English/Calculators/Mixtures.html

*I bought the same oil for the same clearance price ($2.95 per jug and $.85 per qt). My 2.4 Sonata will be getting this 0W20 for some time. Incidentally, it is thicker at operating temps than many (recommended by Hyundai) 5W20.

I have never seen anything of the fake evening News about cars spontaneously combusting from mixed oils. Sixty Nanoseconds would have never missed this chance if they could have pulled the wool over our eyes.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
I have never seen anything of the fake evening News about cars spontaneously combusting from mixed oils. Sixty Nanoseconds would have never missed this chance if they could have pulled the wool over our eyes.

Yes..."nothing blew up" is the new performance standard in BITOG. "spontaneously combusting" is a handy little strawman, 'though, isn't it ?

Can't wait for the API to adopt it other than all those other expensive tests that go out the window when you mix. It will undoubtedly make for a less expensive product.

For me, if I wanted 5w-30, I would purchase it rather than mixing some concoction of assorted oils. That is a waste of excellent Idemitsu oil.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
For me, if I wanted 5w-30, I would purchase it rather than mixing some concoction of assorted oils. That is a waste of excellent Idemitsu oil.

It's all yours for the right price!

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Every time you mix dissimilar oils, God kills a kitten.

Please, think of the kittens.

God only kills the diseased ones, the ones that are suffering, and the ones that were hit by a vehicle but didn't die.

Keep on mixing!
cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back