What do you think of a 9 year old "new" vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This situation is starting to smell....and making it an "ebay" action is even more circumspect.

Run...Forest...RUN!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I posted this because it was interesting that is, out of the ordinary and far enough out that I would never consider it unless it was a screaming good deal. This one is not. Also, as pointed out this year was a problem year for some reason with many, many more complaints than almost any other year.

I purchased a 1st generation xB a few weeks ago after a lot of research and hunting around. It's a 2006 with 131K miles and a good service record.

This is my substitute for the older VW bus's that I used to buy, fix up and drive. The collectors drove me out of my hobby. I owned 11 of them over the years from a 58 to a 79. The 58 23 window was purchased in about 1975 for $1,000 in complete condition down to luggage racks and owner's manual, and drivable. I did a complete restoration down to the last detail, found the tool kit, owner's documents, used original NOS everything. There was no body filler or rust. I later sold it for $50K in the 80's after winning awards for best VW at several car shows. The buyer just approached me at a car show with cash and offered me more than I would have ever asked. About 15 years ago it sold at Barrett-Jackson for $128K. The seller did nothing but detail the bus before the auction. The bus is now in a collection in Japan.

The collectors took my hobby away so I chose the 2006 1st generation xB and feel comfortable that this won't happen with my current selection, ever. There's no way to explain the 1st generation xB. You either like them or most often hate them. You can't justify owning an 11 year old self propelled shipping crate just like there's no way to justify owning and driving an old VW bus.
Great story jack! Any pictures of it? Would make a great thread if you dedicated one to it.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I posted this because it was interesting that is, out of the ordinary and far enough out that I would never consider it unless it was a screaming good deal. This one is not. Also, as pointed out this year was a problem year for some reason with many, many more complaints than almost any other year.

I purchased a 1st generation xB a few weeks ago after a lot of research and hunting around. It's a 2006 with 131K miles and a good service record.

This is my substitute for the older VW bus's that I used to buy, fix up and drive. The collectors drove me out of my hobby. I owned 11 of them over the years from a 58 to a 79. The 58 23 window was purchased in about 1975 for $1,000 in complete condition down to luggage racks and owner's manual, and drivable. I did a complete restoration down to the last detail, found the tool kit, owner's documents, used original NOS everything. There was no body filler or rust. I later sold it for $50K in the 80's after winning awards for best VW at several car shows. The buyer just approached me at a car show with cash and offered me more than I would have ever asked. About 15 years ago it sold at Barrett-Jackson for $128K. The seller did nothing but detail the bus before the auction. The bus is now in a collection in Japan.

The collectors took my hobby away so I chose the 2006 1st generation xB and feel comfortable that this won't happen with my current selection, ever. There's no way to explain the 1st generation xB. You either like them or most often hate them. You can't justify owning an 11 year old self propelled shipping crate just like there's no way to justify owning and driving an old VW bus.
Great story jack! Any pictures of it? Would make a great thread if you dedicated one to it.

Lost everything in the 2003 fire down here in Southern California. Today I don't own much. Moved back to the east out in nowhere to a house I've owned for a long time. That and 9 years of fighting cancer keeps life focused on the essentials. I had a complete start to finish photo album on that bus and a few other projects. Back in those days you took photos with film and printed them on paper. No, it's true. I had a lot of personal stuff in an underground basement that I thought would be safe and I had a barrier clearing. Wrong. The fire jumped the 50' barrier and was so hot it melted the concrete blocks, the fire doors, the plumbing, the foundation and burned a couple of cars left behind into unrecognizable lumps. The fire came up so quickly that the Sheriff and his wife stopped by and helped me move some tools, guns, wife's jewelry and the dogs. The whole neighborhood was gone in less than an hour. We spent that first night cooking food for the firefighters and helping out any way we could. I serviced half a dozen chainsaws and took care of horses. It was a scary time.

But now I have a box to replace a bus and there are no collectors out there looking for a Scion shipping crate. I even had a guy in another 1gen box park beside me while shopping and we had a great time talking about our self-propelled boxes. We exchanged contact info and I think I've got a new friend. Please, don't tell anyone that these boxes might become a collector's target.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back