New Tesla Truck - 500mi Range, 1M mi Guarantee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Another thing that never needs changing is the windshield, as the glass is so strong it can withstand a thermo-nuclear explosion blast.

What kind of wild donkey claim is that?!?!?!

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Balrog006
Conventional trucks can’t climb a 5% grade at anything more than 45mph????

Yeah, not sure what the benchmark for that is
21.gif
I was passed by a tandem log truck going uphill at 75Mph easily with a big old Meow Meow under the hood, and this was the late 90's
21.gif

Trucks must be different in Canada, here when you're in the hills you'd be amazed to find one going even anywhere close to 45 mph, they're the slowest things ever.

Your typical fleet-owned wheezer would be like that, but many of the O/O rigs have some pretty decent power under the hood. The log boys were known to go even further than that, because the guy that got the logs out of the bush and to the mill first, could turn around and do it again, and subsequently make more money. I saw this same truck pull one of the front wheels off the ground accelerating out of the parking lot, it was a bumble-bee yellow Western Star day cab with a 600 CAT under the hood that was "warmed over a bit" according to the owner.

Now of course that truck isn't "average" but I've seen quite a few nice looking Pete's and Kennies pulling hills at speed no problem. The O/O's tend to option them out a lot better in the power department than your typical fleet.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Quote:
Another thing that never needs changing is the windshield, as the glass is so strong it can withstand a thermo-nuclear explosion blast.

What kind of wild donkey claim is that?!?!?!

When the chubby little dictator finally loses what's left of his mind, and lands an ICBM in front of the Tesla semi, the load of Huggies will still make it to Walmart.
thumbsup2.gif

200 HP? Hardly any coal trucks had under 400 HP in the late 80s. Most are near 600 HP now.
In 1992 I had a 525 Cummins.
This is may make a decent bus but not a truck.

Yeah, even a small cam 335 would pull a grade at speed, and that was long ago. With engine management systems now, you can't get over 60'ish on the flats, but they will still make some power on grades
laugh.gif

I'm not a fan of electronic governors, but then I no longer have to drive into Tier II air quality zones. Gimme a warmed over 8V92 any day and we'll see about going up hill
laugh.gif

depends on the hp,tq and gearing. The last company I drove for had 470hp/1650ft lbs and 4.10 gears. Californias cajon pass with its 6% was a 31 mph climb @ 80k.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
depends on the hp,tq and gearing. The last company I drove for had 470hp/1650ft lbs and 4.10 gears. Californias cajon pass with its 6% was a 31 mph climb @ 80k.

A stock C16 kitty could be had with 600HP/2,050lb-ft of torque. They could be modified to produce significantly more but I assume we are looking at stock stuff here. Of course CAT is now out of the truck diesel game, but their engines still win truck pulls regularly. The current Cummins ISX15 has roughly the same specs (in top trim) as that old Meow Meow.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
200 HP? Hardly any coal trucks had under 400 HP in the late 80s. Most are near 600 HP now.
In 1992 I had a 525 Cummins.
This is may make a decent bus but not a truck.

No, 200hp is what Cummins say is required for 80,000lb on a flat road, and what I used to do the calcs on battery size over 500 miles.

Naturally there's WAY more than that on tap, plus braking regeneration on the other side.

Interesting, and impressive if true. As always I wait for the real world reports from the early adapters. Final cost to be determined, I wonder what that is going to be.....

In an urban area electric seems like a clear winner where no truck can do 500 miles in 3 days and the average moving speed is 12mph. Also it seems like they will be snappy enough to move well in traffic and not leave the 50 yrd gap in front of the truck all the time, to save brakes or diesel. I wouldn't be surprised though if they wacked on a diesel generator to extend the range on inter city routes though.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
In an urban area electric seems like a clear winner where no truck can do 500 miles in 3 days and the average moving speed is 12mph. Also it seems like they will be snappy enough to move well in traffic and not leave the 50 yrd gap in front of the truck all the time, to save brakes or diesel. I wouldn't be surprised though if they wacked on a diesel generator to extend the range on inter city routes though.

Yup, urban shuffling is where they'll shine IMHO, which is where IC is at its least efficient.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Walmart announced that it is buying 5 of those to test out.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Big grocery store chain here just ordered 25 of these trucks.

https://www.thestar.com/business/2017/11...osed-price.html

Dunno about 25 of them, but 5 for Walmart is probably a drop in the bucket--if it pans out like Musk says, it'll be good to be on board early. If it flops, well, it's Walmart--they can write it off.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Walmart announced that it is buying 5 of those to test out.

I thought that I read in Arkansas Business that Wal Mart had ordered fifteen, and J. B. Hunt Trucking had taken an option on five, but I might have that reversed - I just skimmed the article ....

Seems like one of the two companies was planning to use theirs exclusively in Kalifornia, J. B. Hunt, maybe ....

Can you imagine what one of these rolling toxic waste carts will be like in a serious accident? Think Galaxy Note 7 x 1 million.

I sometimes watch trucking videos on YouTube and these guys regularly are 85,000 lbs gross weight.

No way these Tesla rigs can compete with diesel rigs for the long haul (no pun intended).

Nice new toy from Tesla but they would fail in the real world trucking industry.

PT Barnum trying to distract stock holders, he should focus on producing the cars he promised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back