Danika loses ride, finally

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just hate it that she’s coming to Indy. The know-nothing media will talk about nothing else for weeks. It been what, 6-7 years since she’s been in an Indy car? And, IndyCar will have an all new, faster chassis next year. We are looking for a 235+ pole speed. She will be in everyone’s way and in extreme danger. Hopefully, the car deal she says she’s working in will fall through.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
I just hate it that she’s coming to Indy. The know-nothing media will talk about nothing else for weeks. It been what, 6-7 years since she’s been in an Indy car? And, IndyCar will have an all new, faster chassis next year. We are looking for a 235+ pole speed. She will be in everyone’s way and in extreme danger. Hopefully, the car deal she says she’s working in will fall through.

If she even makes it into the field, I'm sure she'll wreck quickly.

There’s been no real bumping at Indy for years. They struggle to expand the 22-24 field of regulars to the traditional starting field of 33. So, if her car comes through (and it will) she will be in the field one way or another. She may qualify well because she has always shown she can go fast on a track by herself. As soon as the green flag falls, she will quickly get passed left and right because she has always been afraid of close quarters racing. And in an IndyCar, at racing speeds of 220+, that scenario is especially intimidating. From the back, she will play the fuel economy game, get out of sequence and (!) possibly lead a lap while the racers pit. Ultimately, she will cause a wreck or finish 20+ 5 laps behind. . I just hope she doesn’t get herself hurt and create a black-eye for Indy.

Last edited:
There’s been no real bumping at Indy for years. They struggle to expand the 22-24 field of regulars to the traditional starting field of 33. So, if her car comes through (and it will) she will be in the field one way or another. She may qualify well because she has always shown she can go fast on a track by herself. As soon as the green flag falls, she will quickly get passed left and right because she has always been afraid of close quarters racing. And in an IndyCar, at racing speeds of 220+, that scenario is especially intimidating. From the back, she will play the fuel economy game, get out of sequence and (!) possibly lead a lap while the racers pit. Ultimately, she will cause a wreck or finish 20+ 5 laps behind. . I just hope she doesn’t get herself hurt and create a black-eye for Indy.

Good analysis, and I agree 100%.

absolutely agree entirely different car I actually hope she doesn't kill someone or even herself.

I'm no Danica fan, but do you guys think she's any worse than the ride-buying field fillers that populate much of every Indy 500, of either gender?

Would you prefer Milka Duno? Pippa Mann?

The embarrassing Lazier efforts from the past couple years?

Roth? Miller? King Hiro? Or countless others?

Scott Dixon almost paid the price because Tony Stewart put Jay Howard in his car last year. That's the best driver he could have come up with?

At least Danica has remained an active full-time driver, and mixing it up week and week out as part of a larger field in MC.

She won't be the most dangerous driver in the 500, and if she ends up driving for Floyd, she'll at least have a good car.

In some ways, the grid will be poorer without her, at least for the attention. There is no bad publicity.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Carmudgeon
I'm no Danica fan, but do you guys think she's any worse than the ride-buying field fillers that populate much of every Indy 500, of either gender? Would you prefer Milka Duno? Pippa Mann? The embarrassing Lazier efforts from the past couple years?

The difference is those drivers usually only run the 500. Or else a very limited schedule. Much like Alonso did last year. They are not season long, full time sponsored drivers for a big, brand name race team. Danica is / was. And remember, Buddy Lazier WON the 1996 Indianapolis 500, and the 2000 Indy Racing League season championship. He deserves to be at Indy.

Another thing you have to remember is Indy isn't what it used to be. I remember "Bump Day" as the most exciting day of qualifying. And it went on for most of the day. Cars being pushed beyond the limits of the chassis and the driver. All in a last ditch "all or nothing" attempt to make it into the field. Now it doesn't even exist because there simply aren't enough cars and teams in the garage to have a, "Bump Day". If it wasn't for these "buy in" drivers, and yes, even Danica trying to suck it up one more time, they wouldn't be starting the race with 33 cars anymore. I'm assuming it's only a matter of time before that starts happening.

It sadly shows how auto racing in general is in serious decline. Bad management. Silly, stupid rule changes, (especially in NASCAR). Along with rising ticket prices, and a bad economy have left lots of empty seats. Waiting lists for tickets have disappeared. Instead today you can walk up to the counter and purchase a good seat 5 minutes before they sing the National Anthem. Something else they'll probably quit doing.

I have no doubt Danica will get her car up to speed and do a good job and I'm sure she will test beforehand and Indianopolis has been a good track for her, it's not like she has been out of a race car for a few years, my concern is it has bad luck written all over it and it would be awful to finish it out that way, the racing is dangerous and these cars could go 60 miles an hour slower and the racing would-be better.
TOTO.

Originally Posted By: Toto
....... these cars could go 60 miles an hour slower and the racing would-be better.

NASCAR already does and they put everyone to sleep at Indy. Did you see all the empty seats at the last Brickyard 400?

Originally Posted By: billt460
....... these cars could go 60 miles an hour slower and the racing would-be better.

NASCAR already does and they put everyone to sleep at Indy. Did you see all the empty seats at the last Brickyard 400?

I went to the Brickyard 400 after a number of years absence. I asked myself the entire time why the heck I bothered. I couldn't believe how slow they looked. The Indy 500 is like a fighter jet race with pilots flying winged missiles. When they come down the backstretch 4 and, on occasion, even 5 wide, going into turn 3, it literally takes your breath away. Plus, you had no clue who would win until the very end. It's been that way for a number of years now. Best racing I've ever seen.

Speed is a fundamental part of racing. Nascar race cars don't even look fast anymore. They've even ruined the looks of them. They used to look lower and more sleek than they do now. Certainly they looked more interesting.

I think Danica will do fine at Indy. It will create a buzz and she'll feed off it. She's actually VERY good on that track, and most years, she was very compeitive. Her confidence will be much higher there. Plus, she'll get more track time there than she would get at other tracks in 6 or 8 races. The question I have is about her desire to win. Will she look at it as a big farewell and not want to get hurt at the end, or will she go for it? We'll know the answer to that only after the green flag drops. 375k people in the stands on raceday morning has to give a helluva shot of adrenaline!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IndyFan
Speed is a fundamental part of racing. Nascar race cars don't even look fast anymore.

That's because they're not fast anymore. Certainly not by today's standards, that's for sure. At the 1969 Talladega 500 Bobby Isaac took the pole with a qualifying speed of 196.386 MPH. He had many race laps over 200 MPH.

http://www.racing-reference.info/getqualify/1969-44/W

At the 2017 Talladega 500 Dale Jr. took the pole at 190.544. 6 MPH SLOWER 48 YEARS LATER. At the very same track.

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2017/10/14/results-qualifying-talladega-monster-energy-series/

In contrast the 1969 Indy 500 pole position was won by A.J. Foyt with a qualifying speed of 170.568 MPH.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1969_Indianapolis_500

In comparison the 2017 Indy 500 Pole was captured by Scott Dixon with a qualifying speed of 232.164 MPH. That's 61.5 MPH FASTER 48 YEARS LATER.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Indianapolis_500

NASCAR is the only motorsport I know of that has gotten slower in the last half century. Even with all of the advances in engine technology and aerodynamics. And people wonder why so many long time viewers are turning it off.

I was on a Turn 2 suite balcony during the Fast Friday when Arie Luyendyk ran the fastest lap ever at IMS of 237+. It was breathtaking. Mark Miles has set as a milestone for IndyCar to break the lap record at Indy. The danger involved with the current program (add boost on Friday before quals) then run unlimited qualification attempts is a recipe to get someone killed.

The demographics of NASCAR fans is getting older and many lost interest attending races. They just turn on the TV and watch from home.

New sponsorship of Monster Energy drink will not attract younger folks wanting to see cars turn left for 200 laps. They are into import cars and drifting events.

Is it true, that if a NASCAR driver goes in the opposite direction, that he will get his dog back and his ex wife? Or, is that if you listen to country music? Ah well, they should both be the same.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
New sponsorship of Monster Energy drink will not attract younger folks wanting to see cars turn left for 200 laps. They are into import cars and drifting events.

95% of those same people wouldn't know a good race if they saw it.

True.

But ultimately NASCAR is in trouble with dwindling fans, expensive races fans won't attend, silly rules and big names like Tony and Dale Jr retired, many fans simply lost any desire to watch.

Now that Dale Jr and late father no longer racing..... I've changed the channel to watch F1.

True.

But ultimately NASCAR is in trouble with dwindling fans, expensive races fans won't attend, silly rules and big names like Tony and Dale Jr retired, many fans simply lost any desire to watch.

Now that Dale Jr and late father no longer racing..... I've changed the channel to watch F1.

NHRA has always been my go to racing. Where else can you ACTUALLY see the air move from 10K HP (Top Fuel, Funny Car) and feel it going right into your body like a sonic boom! NO WHERE, but at an NHRA event! That's real racing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back