Autolite 6607 C&P

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually don't bring filters home from Walmart but this once caught my eye it had a very obvious ADBV failure. Fram owns autolite and this seems to be a OCOD clone. Although of the hundreds of Fram cors I have put on and taken off I have never seen a failure this bad. I forgot what car I even took it off or the mileage. Couldn't be accurate, since half the people that come through Walmart don't even have a lick of oil on the dipstick.

The ADBV was as hard as a rock. Also the end cap was coming up.

Originally Posted By: TheOilWizard
Thanks for posting. For all we know, the filter was in service for 30k+ miles.

My thoughts exactly.

Originally Posted By: TheOilWizard
Thanks for posting. For all we know, the filter was in service for 30k+ miles.

Those were my initial thoughts too until I saw that the pleats were straight. For an OCOD clone, I doubt the pleats would look like that had it been run for an extended oci.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the adbv wasn’t placed properly on top of the centre tube at the time of production.

Was there a date code on the filter or is it gone already? That might give us a clue as to the length of service.

Been over 10+ years since I have seen a new production Autolite branded oil filter sold and even then, it was a jobber grade filter. That given, age and unknown change history of this particular filter, I would not drawn conclusions that it was build quality related.

I had an oil change done on my XJ in 2015 since it had some oil gaskets replaced and they used an Autolite filter. Could've been old stock though.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
Originally Posted By: Run
Date code looks like A42951 in the 6th picture.

Oct. 22, 2014 (Wed)

Or Oct 22, 2004. Fram does not seem to roll their date codes with unique identifiers for ensuing decade dates.

filter looks good.
lol.gif

Definite poster child for metal end caps or no end caps.
crazy2.gif
33.gif

I'll guess 2014 production, as I helped a friend in 2015 who'd had his oil changed at an indy shop, and had an Autolite oil filter mounted from that change.

Guessing these Autolite oil filters were discontinued when the Frampion relationship dissolved, replaced by the Fram Pro non-Ecore oil filters as the only jobber oil filters currently manufactured by Fram.

That filter was obviously abused. If made in 2014 per date code, possible it was on a car for many years, and who knows how many miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back