Mobil Delvac 5w40 - 10 Yr Engine Tear Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
any reason to believe the CK formula won't pan out better than CJ? have 4 gallons of the old in stock bought on A/R like $8 almost ideal motor oil for I.C. engines...hope to continue.

I just checked Walmart.com - D1 out of stock -
… but M1 0w40 for $19.98 a 5 qt jug … free shipping on two or more …

Originally Posted By: dblshock
any reason to believe the CK formula won't pan out better than CJ? have 4 gallons of the old in stock bought on A/R like $8 almost ideal motor oil for I.C. engines...hope to continue.

Not at all. It does look, however, that the base stocks have dumbed down a bit, and this was as good an opportunity as any to try something different. If there was no reformulation, I would have stuck with it out of principle. Note that I'm always paranoid about using the same oil. This is a reformulation and therefore is a totally different oil.
wink.gif
Now, it will never make one lick of difference in 99.9% of cases and will be absolutely seamless in usage. Even the lack of SM or SN doesn't really bother me.

But, it does give me the opportunity to try something different in my haze of OCD, since the CJ-4 stuff is gone.

4WD: I'd have no problem with M1 0w-40, either, but the container size is mighty stupid here. It's 4.4 L, and the G37 takes 4.9. I can live with a 4.73 L (5 U.S. quart) jug or a 5 L jug, or even 4 L jugs in bulk (our HDEOs tend to be 4 L), but the 4.4 L is very obnoxious, at least for my application. Shell does things odd with container sizes, too. If you buy a normal Canadian jug of a SOPUS product, it's 5 L. If you buy a Canadian bottle of a SOPUS product, it's 1 U.S. quart (0.946 L). On occasion, special deals on jugs can be found, in the 4.73 L size. If I go to get Shell Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle 5w-30, that's all boxes, 3 x 5 L jugs.

Interesting … wish more were just a dang gallon ~ be ideal for my new 5.3L (8 x 0w20) …

Saving my D1 CJ for the ATV toys and moved into 0/40 M1 & Edge for the autos til CK is sorted out here...I can find other great oils but like the aggressive pricing on the aforementioned. Wal-Mart has the Edge gallons at $20 right now I've heard.

I stopped by the nearest Walmart the other day for the heck of it. It usually had an okay oil selection, but was an utter disaster. Again, it looked like someone walked with a hockey stick horizontally along the oil shelves. Most shelves were empty, bottles knocked over, and reduced shelf space in all. M1 0w-40 was totally sold out (even at full price) except in 1 L bottles. I couldn't find any Castrol synthetic of any viscosity or variety. PP was sold out, at full price. The only thing readily available was QSGB and VSP, both, perplexingly, at around $26.88 - yes, same price for the conventional and the synthetic.

Not to bash Mobile for their oil, but:
1° this ship engines run max 1600 (usually +/- 1000-1200) rpm, don't do fast cold starts and that don't put a lot of stress on the motor
2° the scene with the valve cover (and not only that scene) show no oil/dirt/sludge what makes me belive that this pieces where cleaned before filming
Delvac is a great oil but i have problems to belive that this images are from a 30'000 hour engine just opend.
Chris

Last edited:
Yeah, tough sell for me also. I have taken several engines that far, on various oils, and they all were still in good shape, but for being pristine inside, hardly. That was a marketing video. Go down to a Cat, Cummins, Detroit specific shop and have a look at high hour engines they take apart that have lived on Mobil. Nothing different than any other oil in that regard.

Mobil makes some great products, however advertising has to be taken with a grain of salt.

You are speaking pretty general about ships … we operate high HP DynPos vessels and yes they have to cold start backup engines and take on heavy loads.
This one is inland water where I have spent decades working and playing watching these tugs digging in shell, silt, and sand trying to get back to clean water …
I don’t know what duty that engine saw … but commenting on your generalization of easy duty to how can that engine really be in that shape with those hours …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back