High oil consumption with 60k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dcmeigs
The oil gets changed yearly with Mobil One 30w5 and I use WIX filters.

Maybe this is to blame for the oil consumption???
crackmeup2.gif

At first I thought this was a joke post...

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
The advice above about cleaning the engine with some liquid poured in through the spark plugs holes may be a good idea but let the engine cool first. You don't want to crack a piston.

The procedure works best with warm pistons & rings....There is no danger of cracking a piston!

It's probably not a great idea to pull the sparkplugs out of a hot engine, especially with aluminum heads.

The crankcase ventilation system is what is messed up on Cadillacs of that era. GM knows about it and a TSB was issued. Search: Oil burning Cadillac

Last edited:
If its your rings - try using BG EPR - this product did wonder for a gummed up Audi we once had - that thing was a real oil drinker. Known ring issues. 2.0 Turbo.

You could also use a 10w-30 diesel oil for a few oil changes after.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Try a different oil. You're new so you probably don't know about all the complaints that M1 5W-30 gets.

Merk, remember our chat about you being a respected member here and not trolling the new members?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Try a different oil. You're new so you probably don't know about all the complaints that M1 5W-30 gets.

Merk, remember our chat about you being a respected member here and not trolling the new members?
wink.gif

So what? If Mobil1 contributes to an oil consumption...there are still plenty of other brands wich someone can try out...

Originally Posted By: Garak

I wasn't trolling that time Garak. I was being informative.
sick.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back