Do you have a spin on or cartridge filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX

Not sure why the manufactures use the cartridge type? They dont filter any better are not cheaper in price? So???

I guess to keep people going to the Dealer for Oil Changes possibly?

Jeff

Just another little hassle so you bring it to them instead of DIY oil changes. Soon you'll have to take it to the dealer so their maintenance computer will unlock the drain plug and filter for you.

It's actually half and half right now - the two trucks are spin-in, the two cars are cartridge. That Mercedes diesel takes a whopper cartridge filter.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX

Not sure why the manufactures use the cartridge type? They dont filter any better are not cheaper in price? So???

I guess to keep people going to the Dealer for Oil Changes possibly?

Jeff

Just another little hassle so you bring it to them instead of DIY oil changes. Soon you'll have to take it to the dealer so their maintenance computer will unlock the drain plug and filter for you.

Didn't really think they were harder. Mine actually doesn't even cause a mess because it's right on top of the engine and no oil spills out. I suppose the only tricky part is putting on those 3 rubber gaskets.

We've had five with cartridge filters including my old BMW and the rest have had spin ons.
Greatly prefer the latter.

All carts here and love them. I've been pretty lucky with the engines I've had carts on, they were all right on top of the engine...don't spill a drop changing them. Nothing worse than spinning off an oil filter and getting an arm full of dirty oil.
mad.gif

In my extended stable:
1 cartridge, 6 cans.

I bet cartridges cost more because:
1) The apparent quality of the filter medium is in your hand so "they gotta" make 'em better.
......which is funny because nobody knows what better medium material looks like or even is.

2) The final structure of a cartridge has to be stiffer so any glue has to have time to dry on the assembly line.
......Glues in a can can just sit and dry protected.

3) "They can". Cartridges likely migrated down the posh scale to us paupers. Carts started existence as expensive.

Spin on. Last cartridge type filter I had was a 66 MGB.

both my cars have spin on filters, mom and dads duratec motors have spin on filters. brothers new to him fusion has a cartridge filter. I hate cartridge filters, they are messy to clean up if they are facing down.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
All carts here and love them. I've been pretty lucky with the engines I've had carts on, they were all right on top of the engine...don't spill a drop changing them. Nothing worse than spinning off an oil filter and getting an arm full of dirty oil.
mad.gif

A cartridge filter up top will drip some oil when you remove it. I find this to be the case with the old BMW and there is no escaping it.
A spin on mounted up top will drip no oil at all.
We've had two such cars with spin ons mounted base down up top, an old Mercedes W201 and our '17 Forester.
With oil filter removal on either, there are no drips at all.
These oil filters have these things called ADBVs and they actually work!
With any oil filter not mounted base down, you'll get a column of oil from above the filter draining out when you remove it.
Cartridge or canister, doesn't matter.

Spin-on canister filters all my life. The oldest vehicle I owned was a 1969 Plymouth Duster with 225 slant six, three on a tree, and power nuthin', no A/C, as a teenager in South Texas and a first year vollege student in West Texas.

I started changing oil before I started driving, on my parents vehicles. I don't ever remember a cartridge filter at home, even in the late 50's DeSoto with early hemi my father drove, and I was born in the back seat of in the hospital parking lot (dad didn't quite make it there in time but was really close!). I do rememeber seeing some in auto parts stores when Dad took me shopping for parts with him, but that's it.

Prius now: Itsy-bitty cartridge, which is a pain to access---although only a little harder than the drain plug.

Historic cars:
'81 Mazda: Spin-on, easy to reach (although difficult to see) from above; drain plug also easy from above.
'72 Subaru: Spin-on, moderately accessible.
'54 Chevrolet: Large metal cartridge, very easy to access, but required syringing out ~1 cup of oil left in the housing. Used gaskets for the lid made decent Frisbees, long before real Frisbees were invented.

Last edited:
98 BMW 328i - Cartridge. Piece of cake to change, spill almost nothing. Great design.
01 F150 5.4l - spin on. Ford blew it on this design. What a pain. They made a plastic trough to contain spillage. That should have been a sign.
00 Honda S2000 - spin on, easy to access from top , some spillage.
13 Nissan Juke Nismo - Spin on. Easy to change from under side, not much spillage, vertical
Recently Sold - 65 VW Beetle ???? Neither

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
... With any oil filter not mounted base down, you'll get a column of oil from above the filter draining out when you remove it. ...
True, but not a significant problem, as long as the filter is mounted in a location such that that oil drains into your pan as soon as the filter is loosened, without drooling over components that shouldn't be oily. Isn't that typical? Preferably (as on my Mazda), the filter needs to be located so the drain pan can simultaneously catch oil draining from the loosened filter and oil dripping from the pan drain hole.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: dishdude
mad.gif

A cartridge filter up top will drip some oil when you remove it. I find this to be the case with the old BMW and there is no escaping it.
A spin on mounted up top will drip no oil at all.
We've had two such cars with spin ons mounted base down up top, an old Mercedes W201 and our '17 Forester.
With oil filter removal on either, there are no drips at all.
These oil filters have these things called ADBVs and they actually work!
With any oil filter not mounted base down, you'll get a column of oil from above the filter draining out when you remove it.
Cartridge or canister, doesn't matter.

Maybe a drop or two? Nothing a shop towel underneath won't easily catch. The two cars in my sig and my previous cartridge engines (Ecotec 2.2 and 2.4) made oil changes a breeze. The key is a well designed location for the cartridge, I've seen some underneath the engine...
31.gif

Both of my vehicles are spin on. I have changed oil on friends cars which have the cartridge type. I actually prefer them. The environmentalist part of my brain likes them better. (Note: I am not an environmentalist. I lost a good lumber job to environmentalism that shut down lumbering and drove up prices of new homes.) I like them because of less cartridges going into my garbage can. The cartridge is much smaller and isn't that hard to handle when doing the oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back