[Cut Open] Fram XG3600 - 8937mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
2XG3600a.jpg

2XG3600b.jpg

2XG3600d.jpg

2XG3600e.jpg

RangerParts.jpg

As usual, drying out and oil sample in the mail.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
DuckRyder - Very Nice. Thanks for posting.

You are welcome.

This was in service for ~21 Months.

2XG3600f.jpg

Dried out.

Strongly suspect that the UOA is lost forever. Mail recovery form filed... we will see. I think it would be interesting too because some work was done halfway through that may have improved the results over last time.

I am beginning to wonder if you really ever need to change an Ultra on a good running engine?

I have only used one Ultra, and it got tossed (I bought one for my mom's Saturn Vue and was going to use it for 2 oil changes, ~16,000 miles, but she had a shop change it @ 5000 miles).

1994 Honda VT1100C: Peak 15w-40, Tough Guard, 3k mile OCI

2002 Ford F150: Havoline HM 5w-20, Ecogard Filter, 5k OCI

2012 Scion xB: QSUD 0w-20, Car Quest Blue (Wix) Filter, 5k OCI

Originally Posted By: blupupher
I am beginning to wonder if you really ever need to change an Ultra on a good running engine?

I have only used one Ultra, and it got tossed (I bought one for my mom's Saturn Vue and was going to use it for 2 oil changes, ~16,000 miles, but she had a shop change it @ 5000 miles).

Of course you do, every filter wears out and clogs up eventually, even on a clean engine.

Originally Posted By: blupupher

If you have a clean engine, I'm inclined to agree-the XG3600 I ran in the xB for almost 20K only had a few little carbon bits in it, the pleats still looked like new ones. My fear is that the can would rust out!

It amazes me that folks think they can quantify, gauge, estimate or calculate the effectiveness or lifespan of filter media by the "look" of it. Looking at the inside of the filter does tell you many things, but not necessarily that. I see those photos and I see a good construction with not anomalies such as shavings, moisture, etc ; and the more that are opened and look the same provides a track record for a filter's quality control. The OP gets gets a more complete story by doing a UOA.in combination like he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back