Oil coming up through filler cap

Status
Not open for further replies.
2011 Dodge Durango 5.7l Hemi. 114k miles. We drove from Nebraska to Pennsylvania and in Ohio oil started coming up through the oil filler cap. I took the dipstick out and it doesn't come up through the dipstick tube after 2 miles. Causes or solutions? I recently replaced the PVC Valve, no oil leaking from drain plug or oil filter. Would a new filler cap be a good place to start or a waste of time to replace?

Sounds like a faulty PCV valve or blockage in the tubing that is connected to it. Also check the fresh air intake line running from the air box for restriction.

Failing that do a compression test, maybe you have excessive blowby on a cylinder.

Do you mean splashing out with the cap off? Most cars do that. What do you mean by coming up through the cap? You have a hole in the cap? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Why would you do a PCV on a 2011? They usually only need a cleaning with some mild solvent. They are just a metering oriface with an anti backfire pill valve. Get a dealer sourced part the orifice size is critical.

Wish you good luck getting this fixed on a nearly new vehicle
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Do you mean splashing out with the cap off? Most cars do that. What do you mean by coming up through the cap? You have a hole in the cap? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Why would you do a PCV on a 2011? They usually only need a cleaning with some mild solvent. They are just a metering oriface with an anti backfire pill valve. Get a dealer sourced part the orifice size is critical.

smile.gif

It's coming out with the cap on. When you stop at a rest stop on i80 smoke pours out from the hood. It's using. 5 to .75 quarts every tank. (400 miles) the spring was shot on the old pcv valve. We didn't have oil consumption in the past 1200 miles before the trip and made it about 900 miles with no consumption. Then all beck broke loose. The dodge dealer I talked to on the phone thinks either the new pcv valve failed or the gasket broke. I have a new cap ordered. I bought a Mopar PVC valve so I will warranty it when we get back it that ends up being the problem.

My dad's Suburban with the 5.3l had oil leaking out from the cap all down the valve cover and the side of the block making a mess. I took a look and the rubber gasket slipped out of it's channel in the cap. I put it back in place and all was good again.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I looked it up on RockAuto because I was curious to see what the PCV looked like. It looks like it's suppose to lock and seal into something with its o-ring. I wonder if it twists and locks directly into the intake manifold.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5051982&cc=1447826&jsn=418

Yeah it does just spin in and out. I replaced it about 2k miles ago mopar out mopar in.

Update: On the way back to Nebraska. Replaced oil filler cap the local dodge dealer was able to get me a new one before I left. So far we are to Chicago from PA and no oil has come up through the cap since. The oddest thing about the whole ordeal is no one added oil or messed with the oil cap to male it fail it just started leaking on the interstate.

I wouldn't speak too soon.

Was the gasket gone? Something missing here.

Very simple device with no mysteries.

Hope a squirrel didn't put an acorn into your CC air inlet hose.

I had 3 cups of acorns in my airbox last year - luckily on the dirty side of the filter!

I had 3 cups of acorns in my airbox last year - luckily on the dirty side of the filter!

Thats nuts!

Originally Posted By: ChevyMan93

Thats nuts!

Indeed

smile.gif

So a 2011 (nearly 7 model years old) is a nearly new car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back