Carhartt Work Jackets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Warstud
Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
I'm pretty tall so I'm not crazy about Carhartt's fit, although I do have an XXL that someone gave me that does fit fairly well.
I like Duluth Trading's fire hose canvas.
https://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens...ocessor=content

The guy is looking for a good discount on a Carhartt Jacket... so you show him one that's twice as much.
33.gif

I was just putting it out there. I'd rather spend more on something once than buy one I may end up replacing with the more expensive one.

I'm pretty tall so I'm not crazy about Carhartt's fit, although I do have an XXL that someone gave me that does fit fairly well.

The guy is looking for a good discount on a Carhartt Jacket... so you show him one that's twice as much.
33.gif

Thing is it's 5x the quality of the Carharrt Jacket you get what you pay for.

Originally Posted By: dave123

33.gif

Thing is it's 5x the quality of the Carharrt Jacket you get what you pay for.

Maybe your right...but the O.P. want's a Carhartt but doesn't want to pay the full price. So showing him another brand that is twice the price is irrelevant.

I mentioned it ONLY in case he was tall or short or may have had any kind of fitment issues. I'd rather spend more on a coat that fits.

I started poking around the Dickies site and saw their Eisenhower jackets, those are what my dad wore to work as a school janitor.
He had one that a dry cleaner had messed up, somehow they dissolved all the insulation...he was going to throw it away and I asked for it.
He was a little smaller than me, but it fit OK...I used that thing as a winter coat for 2 years, wore it in frigid temps, snow, freezing rain, whatever. Guess I felt like a bad dude wearing some thin cloth lined with almost tissue thin cloth in frigid Chicago weather.
He finally bought me a US Army surplus field coat to wear in the winter and it was kind of nice to be warm again. I kept that through college and don't remember what happened to it...the Ike jacket went in the garbage for sure.

A US Military Field jacket and Field jacket liner may be a consideration.

I always go at least one size larger, and get an extra tall.

If you know someone who can sew buttons, you can add the field jacket liner to almost any coat...

I have a 10-15 year old "artic coat" from Carhartt which was great to me. Now I'm not AS young and 35lbs heavier and its just too snug (was never excessively roomy). Would very much love to get a new one in the next size up, but have plenty of other coats at this time. That Carhartt was a great coat, though. Went through many cold days doing tree work or just out and about in the woods 'n weather.

Sierra Trading Post has consistently the best prices AND selection of Carhartt. Unfortunately, since they were absorbed by TJMaxx's parent company a few years ago, they aren't as good on the deals. Sign up for thier e-mail flyer.These are theoretically seconds or overruns, but I very rarely can tell.
https://www.sierratradingpost.com/carhartt~b~3120/men~d~5284/mens-clothing~d~15/mens-jackets-and-coats~d~142/

Workingperson.com at certain times of the year can run good promotions, also.

Carhartt has applications for just about any work conditions. Generally, when I hear someone say they bought Carhartt and didn't like it, they bought the wrong application. They have standards they have been making for a long time(the Detroit jacket) and they also make new stuff with high tech materials. Thier size selection is pretty unbeatable. Talls and extended sizes. I wish they made all their stuff in the USA(they still make some).
There was an earlier post about insulation. Carhartt makes at least 5 levels of insulation. If you see "Arctic"
in the description, that is generally the warmest. Carhartt also makes clothing for casual wear. If you buy thier casual clothing for work and it wears out, that is your fault.

Different models have different sizing also. This is most apparent in pants, but applies to jackets and other things as well.
Carhartt has lost a little in the quality in the last few years. The USA and Mexico stuff is the best. The other South and Central American stuff is decent. Chinese, as always, can be a little hit and miss. Generally speaking, they are still better than most work brands. The only two that are equal or better are Wrangler Riggs and Pella, but they don't have the selection and sizes..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SubLGT
...Carharrt has a "flex" jacket also, costing $40 more than the Dickies:

http://www.carhartt.com/products/carhartt-workwear/Full-Swing-Armstrong-Active-Jac-102360

Quote:
Created using feedback from workers who wear Carhartt on the job, this men's jacket offers the freedom of movement you need to get it done. Made of wind-resistant cotton duck, the jacket is fleece-lined for warmth. Stretch panels between the shoulders and at the elbows let you swing a sledgehammer or lunge a pushy horse with ease.

12-ounce, 100% cotton sandstone duck canvas
Full Swing® was developed with insight from our Carhartt Crew, a group of hardworking folks who wear our gear on the job day in and day out and let us know what they really think
All Full Swing® gear is built broken-in to help you move like you mean it 24/7 and features stretch across the shoulders, arms that move free without the jacket riding up, and bigger bend in the elbows
Built to move with Rugged Flex® stretch technology; Stretch sherpa lining in upper body and stretch fleece lining in lower body
Attached, fleece-lined hood with adjustable drawcord closure
Internal rib-knit storm cuffs with ergonomically shaped sleeve hems
Left chest pocket with zipper
Inside pocket with hook-and-loop closure and zipper
Two lower-front pockets
Back length: Large regular: 28 inches; Large tall: 30 inches

Tractor Supply has the Carhartt Full Swing jacket at "25% off", starting today. The sales price will be around $97.50 I think. I bought a similar jacket by Dickies a few weeks ago, for $70.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back