@Overkill
the OP's tire size seems to be 225/50-18, but the PSS is available in that size
smile.gif

But it is expensive.

Other good choices for the OP's tire size of 225/50-18 at a lower price:
Firestone Firehawk Indy 500
BF Goodrich Sport Comp-2
Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position

Why would you recommend any of those for all-season use in a Dodge Dart?

I'd throw some H/V rated altimax rt43, or Cooper CS5 ultra touring on it.. but as soon as this reaches 3-4 pages of good tire suggestions.....

ChevRammBoyMan will go buy some other POS tire afterwards anyway. so no point in suggesting anything.

This happens with everything, from Job, Tools, Tires, Cars, Marital advice etc.

Could be some kind of bad tv sitcom.

LMAO!!!

Originally Posted By: ram_man
So I hear people either say Uniroyals are great or they are terrible? I'm not disputing it but what makes them junk?
The people who usually say they’re great have always used cheapo tires, and are often putting them on a car like a 1989 Plymouth Voyager where it doesn’t matter what tires you put on it, you can’t feel the difference between a premium tire and a cheap one. Some people also don’t have high expectations so as long as the tires are black and round, they’re happy campers.

I had a set of Coopers that were down right dangerous on dew, let alone rain. Cheap old tires, lots of tread, ton of miles. Hard as a rock. Fine on dry pavement though. To OP, if the tires are bad, but you are thrifty, drive a little more gently to spare your marginal equipment. Like Melvin, the born again street punk I used to work with. "Less is more"

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Best Tires For Dodge Dart

I see the Pilot Super Sport appearing as the recommendation for the two sizes it is available in there. Not surprising at all based on my experience and that of others on here. It is a phenomenal tire at a reasonable price that lasts surprisingly long.

I am an idiot and made a big mistake!!! PLEASE accept my apologies!!
sick.gif
crazy2.gif
09.gif
45.gif

I must have misread this thread or replied to the wrong person. I thought OP was in California for some reason, but now I see southern MO. Whoops!

Yeah, the tires I suggested earlier are definitely NOT appropriate for the Midwest!! Sorry!!!!

Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
@Overkill
smile.gif

But it is expensive.

BF Goodrich Sport Comp-2

Yeah I made a mistake. Sorry.

So at one point the Cooper Zeon where recommended and I did buy them because several people earlier this year recommended them and they were terrible and because there was so many issues the tire store just wanted to go back to what was on the car previously I fought with him about it but honestly my give a [censored]'s busted and I just wanted the car to drive and not Shake at highway speeds.
Also everyone should realize that if 50 people give you advice and of those 50 people they had 30 different opinions obviously you can't listen to everyone I do listen to advice on here I'm sorry Rand that I don't typically listen to you. Usually it's because you come off very arrogant. It's been my experience that arrogant people are usually the stupidest people. Maybe if you were nicer to people they would listen more just food for thought

Too late to edit my post, but it turns out that I had replied to the wrong thread.

This post was supposed to be a reply to Malo83's thread for his 2008 Malibu which has the 225/50-18 tires and he's in California

To ram_man, and the ones who called me out, please accept my apologies.

sick.gif
crazy2.gif
09.gif
45.gif

I must have misread this thread or replied to the wrong person. I thought OP was in California for some reason, but now I see southern MO. Whoops!

Yeah, the tires I suggested earlier are definitely NOT appropriate for the Midwest!! Sorry!!!!

@Overkill
smile.gif

But it is expensive.

BF Goodrich Sport Comp-2

Too late to edit my post, but it turns out that I had replied to the wrong thread.

This post was supposed to be a reply to Malo83's thread for his 2008 Malibu which has the 225/50-18 tires and he's in California

To ram_man, and the ones who called me out, please accept my apologies.

sick.gif
crazy2.gif
09.gif
45.gif

@Overkill
smile.gif

But it is expensive.

BF Goodrich Sport Comp-2

No big deal stuff happens.

So at one point the Cooper Zeon where recommended and I did buy them because several people earlier this year recommended them and they were terrible and because there was so many issues the tire store just wanted to go back to what was on the car previously I fought with him about it but honestly my give a [censored]'s busted and I just wanted the car to drive and not Shake at highway speeds.
Also everyone should realize that if 50 people give you advice and of those 50 people they had 30 different opinions obviously you can't listen to everyone I do listen to advice on here I'm sorry Rand that I don't typically listen to you. Usually it's because you come off very arrogant. It's been my experience that arrogant people are usually the stupidest people. Maybe if you were nicer to people they would listen more just food for thought

Buy junk, get junk. Get off your wallet, buy good tires and you'll have good experiences. The only time I've ever been let down by a tire purchase was the time I didn't buy a bloody Michelin. At least they are available in your size, I'm presently limited to Pirelli P-Zero's for the Jeep and while they aren't bad, they aren't the PSS. I hope by the time these are used up that Michelin has the Pilot Sport 4S in my size.

Expecting top-tier performance at a Ling-Long price point and buying something only marginally better is ultimately going to be nothing more than an exercise in frustration, as you've already found out. Good tires aren't cheap, and they aren't cheap because they cost money to develop and produce. Time is money. You've already wasted enough time that if it were mine, the value of that time would have paid for the better tires easily.

You're insinuating that the only better tire is a Michelin at least that's what it sounds like. I don't think you have to spend Michelin money to buy decent tires however I would agree that buying Quality Tires makes sense

If you want a sporty tire, try the Pirelli Cinturato P7. I had a set on my VW and they were incredible, my all time favorite tire.

You're insinuating that the only better tire is a Michelin at least that's what it sounds like. I don't think you have to spend Michelin money to buy decent tires however I would agree that buying Quality Tires makes sense

No, I'm saying you have high expectations of your tires, but you are shopping at a price point where those expectations are not being satisfied. I also have very high expectations, and I budget accordingly. Generally, that puts me with a Michelin product, which I have always found meets those expectations. That's not to say they are the only tire that is satisfactory, it is simply they are the only tire that I have consistently been happy with.

I've owned Yokohama UHP's and they were quite good. I've had Toyo's that were similarly good. I've also owned Toyo's that were garbage. I've had Goodyear tires that were good, I've also had Goodyear tires that were garbage. The OEM tires on the Durango fit the latter description.

Whether it was the Pilot Sport A/S3's that we had on the Charger (which were massively better than the hockey pucks I had on my SRT8), the three sets of LTX's we had on our Expedition, the Pilot Super Sport tires I had on my M5, or even the Michelin Latitude XIce tires I have on the Durango right now, I've always been extremely satisfied with the performance, that's why I keep buying them and that's why I've recommended them.

The Pilot Super Sport and now the Pilot Sport 4S which is replacing it, are arguably the best tires in their segment, and yet they are reasonably priced. That's why I recommended them to you if you are looking for incredible grip, wet or dry. They are an Ultra High Performance summer tire. If you want something a little more all-season oriented without giving up too much, the Pilot Sport A/S3+ is another excellent option.

I'm recommending them not because they are the only good tires in their segments, but because I can confidently do so, having driven on the former, and predecessor to the latter, which, if they hooked up on my wife's 350HP Charger, they should hook up really well for you on the Dart.

Make sense?

I'm curious:

You're the customer.
Why did you let the tire store dictate to you what tires they put on the car?

Bring the car back to them, and get them to put on what you want.
If you want a more expensive, and better tire, then pony up the difference in price.

Oh, and if you want Michelin quality, sometimes you just have to pony up, and spend Michelin money on a Michelin tire.
If you are only willing to pay Uniroyal money, you are most likely not going to get Michelin quality.

Currently on my fleet of cars:
Fiat 500 Abarth - Summer Tire - Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 - Dedicated Winter Tire - Yokohama IG20
Mazda CX-5 - Summer Tire - Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 - Dedicated Winter Tire - Yokohama IG52C
Porsche Cayman - Kumho Ecsta PS91

The Kumhos have been an amazing tire on the Cayman, but they may not be the right choice for your needs if you need an all season tire.
I do not drive the Cayman in anything other than dry or wet conditions, and the wet conditions don't happen here in Colorado very often, but they were fantastic. I have had these on the car for a few thousand miles so far. Current available in 225/40/18 on Tire Rack on closeout for $84.92 for older stock (2014 production), or $125.22 for the newer production. I actually like them more than the Pirelli P-Zero tires that came from the factory.

For comparisons sake, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ in the same size is $168.97, and is an all season tire.

I wouldn't ever put a uniroyal on my car, unless I was junking it.

BC.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

No, I'm saying you have high expectations of your tires, but you are shopping at a price point where those expectations are not being satisfied. I also have very high expectations, and I budget accordingly. Generally, that puts me with a Michelin product, which I have always found meets those expectations. That's not to say they are the only tire that is satisfactory, it is simply they are the only tire that I have consistently been happy with.

I've owned Yokohama UHP's and they were quite good. I've had Toyo's that were similarly good. I've also owned Toyo's that were garbage. I've had Goodyear tires that were good, I've also had Goodyear tires that were garbage. The OEM tires on the Durango fit the latter description.

Whether it was the Pilot Sport A/S3's that we had on the Charger (which were massively better than the hockey pucks I had on my SRT8), the three sets of LTX's we had on our Expedition, the Pilot Super Sport tires I had on my M5, or even the Michelin Latitude XIce tires I have on the Durango right now, I've always been extremely satisfied with the performance, that's why I keep buying them and that's why I've recommended them.

The Pilot Super Sport and now the Pilot Sport 4S which is replacing it, are arguably the best tires in their segment, and yet they are reasonably priced. That's why I recommended them to you if you are looking for incredible grip, wet or dry. They are an Ultra High Performance summer tire. If you want something a little more all-season oriented without giving up too much, the Pilot Sport A/S3+ is another excellent option.

I'm recommending them not because they are the only good tires in their segments, but because I can confidently do so, having driven on the former, and predecessor to the latter, which, if they hooked up on my wife's 350HP Charger, they should hook up really well for you on the Dart.

Make sense?

Yes that was much more clear and does make sense. I have always had good luck with sumitomo products and I've had good luck in the past from bridgestone .. maybe my expectations are to high for my budget but at the same time all I want is good grip and average life 40,000 would be more than fine with me. As long as they're smooth and handle well. Example when I met my now wife we swapped tires and wheels she wanted my hyper black wheels and so i gave them to her and she gave me her Chrome wheels. I went and bought tires and went very cheap because I didn't plan on keeping that wheel or tire size. I bought Douglas performance from Walmart. And my expectations were low. But to my surprise they weren't bad. Decent grip quiet and rode well. Only thing I would have improved was adding a stiffer sidewall. But overall very happy for the price point. I'd buy them again but they aren't offered in my size.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

I'm curious:

You're the customer.
Why did you let the tire store dictate to you what tires they put on the car?

Bring the car back to them, and get them to put on what you want.
If you want a more expensive, and better tire, then pony up the difference in price.

Oh, and if you want Michelin quality, sometimes you just have to pony up, and spend Michelin money on a Michelin tire.
If you are only willing to pay Uniroyal money, you are most likely not going to get Michelin quality.

Currently on my fleet of cars:
Fiat 500 Abarth - Summer Tire - Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 - Dedicated Winter Tire - Yokohama IG20
Mazda CX-5 - Summer Tire - Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 - Dedicated Winter Tire - Yokohama IG52C
Porsche Cayman - Kumho Ecsta PS91

The Kumhos have been an amazing tire on the Cayman, but they may not be the right choice for your needs if you need an all season tire.
I do not drive the Cayman in anything other than dry or wet conditions, and the wet conditions don't happen here in Colorado very often, but they were fantastic. I have had these on the car for a few thousand miles so far. Current available in 225/40/18 on Tire Rack on closeout for $84.92 for older stock (2014 production), or $125.22 for the newer production. I actually like them more than the Pirelli P-Zero tires that came from the factory.

For comparisons sake, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ in the same size is $168.97, and is an all season tire.

I wouldn't ever put a uniroyal on my car, unless I was junking it.

BC.

Honestly because at that point I was stressed out planning a wedding, going back to school working full time again after not working for 8 months I had a brain tumor at the time still but it was massively better but even still all the stresses and then all the issues with the Coopers that were on the car I just said heck with it I want it to not Shake. I was stupid I should have just said no but I was foolish and just had to much going on and just dropped the ball. Its my own fault I admit it.

...Rand that I don’t typically listen to you. ..

And you probably shouldn’t, he is best enjoyed on ignore, but if you want a bunch of pontification he is your guy.

Listen to Overkill...

Get on tire rack and read some reviews if they carry the tire you want, you can even sort and filter them.

You can pretty much sum up tire recommendation threads here with:

Altimax good

Altimax bad

Cooper good

Cooper bad

Michelin good

Michelin bad

Go to Tire rack and read recommendations from actual users on your car, or at least cars with similar characteristics and tire sizes to yours. But in the end it is highly likely that you’re going to have to pay up for a 40 series tire that is an overall good performer. I personally would look at Michelin, Continental and Pirelli

If you don’t want to put the research in, just buy a Michelin (other than Energy series, unless you own a Prius) - it will be good.

With a name like tiger paw, the tire in bound to suck in all conditions.

These have a nice little paw on the sidewall too. Hopefully you like cats.

So I have done quite a bit of reading and it appears that the falken brand and sumitomo in general has good ratings. I always liked sumitomos for the price I wouldn't mind giving them a try. I understand they're a budget oriented tire and that's ok with me as long as they are adequate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back