First Class or Coach flyer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I flew Southwest once. That was two times too many.

Fortunately I can fly other carriers and stay within the bounds of corporate travel policy. Also fortunately, I don't have to travel often.

And coach unless the airline upgrades me. United did this for me several times when I flew more often.

Coach on Delta more often than not...pleasure travel only, generally a 2 hour hop from CVG to Tampa. I like exit row for the extra leg room. Even on a short flight my back hurts, so I get a double vodka with whatever mixer and that makes me infinitely more comfortable. Did 4 hour flights on Allegiant from CVG-Phoenix/Mesa and that was pure misery. The Allegiant seats aren't any worse than Delta's blue vinyl contraptions but 4 hours is a long time to sit in one spot for me.

We're taking the kids to FL in March on Delta...got the brilliant idea of calling a couple of charter companies just for giggles to see what it would cost to fly from Lunken or CVG to Florida...got quotes from $19k-35k for 6 of us. Guess we're just going to fly commercial.

Originally Posted By: opus1

Fortunately I can fly other carriers and stay within the bounds of corporate travel policy. Also fortunately, I don't have to travel often.

And coach unless the airline upgrades me. United did this for me several times when I flew more often.

This sounds really cute, but I'm curious to learn what airlines you've flown that are better in coach than Southwest.
JetBlue used to be nice, but they've fixed that.
Otherwise, they're all about equally mediocre unless you really like regional aircraft, in which case the old legacy carriers have a treat in store for you.
Unless you're flying to another continent, you're looking at single aisle equipment from any airline.
If you want a little better seat pitch as well as free bags and plenty of snacks and drinks, then Southwest is a good pick.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: opus1

This sounds really cute, but I'm curious to learn what airlines you've flown that are better in coach than Southwest.
JetBlue used to be nice, but they've fixed that.
Otherwise, they're all about equally mediocre unless you really like regional aircraft, in which case the old legacy carriers have a treat in store for you.
Unless you're flying to another continent, you're looking at single aisle equipment from any airline.
If you want a little better seat pitch as well as free bags and plenty of snacks and drinks, then Southwest is a good pick.

Agreed, Southwest is the best for coach. Legroom is good, free live TV, $5 drinks and $8 Wi-Fi - no other carrier beats that. For an even better treat, get A boarding and go right for the exit row!

I get free wifi and messaging on Delta, 20% discount on drinks and food purchases with my AMEX Delta Skymiles Gold card, priority boarding with the AMEX, free checked bag for everyone in my party too.

Southwest just started flying from CVG, I haven't had the opportunity to try them yet.

They all suck -- dirty, nasty seats and crammed like sardines in economy. What saves Southwest is the jovial attitude of their flight attendants and that they don't seem to lose your luggage.

Honestly I haven't been on a dirty plane yet...I imagine vinyl seats, instead of the old cloth seats, probably helps with cleanliness. I was surprised that the Delta Connection/Endeavor Air CRJs I flew recently didn't have airsick bags in any of the seats I looked at and sat in.

I pay for coach but know 4 pilots. Occasionally conversation of going on a flight has yielded a nice surprise of a bump to first class by ground crew.

Hate it, fly 1st most of the time with my free upgrade, hate it, did I say I hate being stuck on a plane for 5 hours. Anything close than 8 hours of drive time I avoid flying.
Southwest, love their rescheduling policy, now here is a no-nonsense airline.

I don't fly unless I have no other choice.

Rude passengers....pathetic TSA at the airport......uncomfortable....stinky people.......annoying smart phone use......screaming kids......and often poor service by the attendants as well as no food service being included (unless you pay big time).

Originally Posted By: andrewg

Rude passengers....pathetic TSA at the airport......uncomfortable....stinky people.......annoying smart phone use......screaming kids......and often poor service by the attendants as well as no food service being included (unless you pay big time).

OTOH, all you have to do is get your butt in the seat and a thousand mile journey passes in less than three hours from pushback to arrival gate.
Flying commercial may not be nearly as nice as it once was, but you can't beat the time savings when you have somewhere to go on a schedule.
There are always other options wherever you need to go, but none are as quick or easy as an airline seat.
Fares are generally pretty reasonable as well.
As bad as the airlines may sometimes seem, they are generally the fastest and most reliable means of getting from A to a fairly distant B.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

OTOH, all you have to do is get your butt in the seat and a thousand mile journey passes in less than three hours from pushback to arrival gate.
Flying commercial may not be nearly as nice as it once was, but you can't beat the time savings when you have somewhere to go on a schedule.
There are always other options wherever you need to go, but none are as quick or easy as an airline seat.
Fares are generally pretty reasonable as well.
As bad as the airlines may sometimes seem, they are generally the fastest and most reliable means of getting from A to a fairly distant B.

I can't really disagree with anything you've stated here. But....I am the type of person that finds being crammed into a long, narrow, flying tin can, next to sometimes hundreds of people......objectionable.

If possible, I'll drive.

Alcohol...you won't notice any of it.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

dishdude said:
This can help and I've never been in an airport on either American continent, Europe or Asia that didn't have bars.
A really absorbing book is always helpful and so is conversing with your wife while ignoring others if she's along.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Ha ha ha ha. I would if I could. I get airsick at times and booze would only expedite my tendency.

Flying Southwest from Detroit to Denver to see our daughter is reasonable. Can get Round trip non stop tickets for around 250.00 a person.

We drove there once so far and while the trip wasn't as bad as I thought the gas, lodging and food costs make flying a better deal.

I have yet to fly on one of these although they're still around and I believe Bombardier still offers them.
One of these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back