BMW 4.4 and 4.8 liter V8 engines of 2010+ vintage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SEBZX79
Life is way too short. I can't belive the amount people scared of a German cars. That is all I drive currently have 4 in the stable and would not trade it for the world. They are not as problematic as all these people driving 15 year old camrys think. I would stick with a 2013 or later as there has been some changes made. And personally I would go with the N55 if I had the chance.

Yeah, everyone is afraid, but I think I've probably spent less on mine than others here that spend thousands on their Toyota's. Sometimes even the mechanic that works on them like them, screws come out cleanly and sometimes they're well engineered. I think the direct injection engines have a decent rep so far and those came out in 2012 on the E class. Better gas mileage and more power. They were definitely worse 10-15 years ago.

Maybe it's good that they're afraid, I love being able to buy loaded ones for about 1/3 the list price and with under 50k.

Life is way too short. I can't belive the amount people scared of a German cars. That is all I drive currently have 4 in the stable and would not trade it for the world. They are not as problematic as all these people driving 15 year old camrys think. I would stick with a 2013 or later as there has been some changes made. And personally I would go with the N55 if I had the chance.

Agreed.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
SEBZX79 said:
Maybe it's good that they're afraid, I love being able to buy loaded ones for about 1/3 the list price and with under 50k.

Exactly; the crazier the hearsay/sour grapes rumors become the better the used deals get!

I had a VW but hated driving to get work done--it was great when my mechanic was only 40 minutes away, but when he gave up shop, I gave up on it. Loved the car but I knew it was showing its age, and that I didn't want to deal with "quirk" on the next car.

Still liked the car, and my hat's off to anyone who owns a German car. But it's not my cup of tea. I can go into just about any garage and have my Toyota's fixed--heck, some of the work I might be able to do myself, no less, at least when the weather is good. But too often I don't have time to work on my vehicle, and as I've said, it's getting old driving an hour plus to find a good mechanic who is trustworthy.

When I have a garage I might get one again. Maybe.

And personally I would go with the N55 if I had the chance.

This. I'd go with an N55 powered 3 or 5 series over a V8.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

I love the N55 in my 2er; it will run 30-45 minute track session in 95 degree weather with no issues whatsoever- then average 26 mpg or more commuting to and from work...

Life is too short to drive boring cars. I've owned just about every make there is but I'm staying with euro cars from now on. We own 4 euros, 3 of them are bimmers. Next vehicles on the to buy list either a mercedes or bmw SUV for the wife, then an M5 or E series for me. If going with BMW stick with the straight 6. If you can't shop around for parts ( rock auto) or do any of your own work, it's going to cost you. For example and actuator for my awd bmw was $ 1600 plus 2 hrs at the dealer. Ordered from rock auto for 400 and installed myself. Saved 1600. There's nothing like a euro car, they have character and soul. They will probably need more repairs and cost more but for me it's worth it. If it's not for you, it's not for you. I'm NOT driving until my dying day in a fkn beige Corolla ( no offense they are great cars).

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Buy an Accord or Camry for the same money.

LOL!
I'm waiting for the obligatory Crown Vic recommendation next.

A Crown Vic isn't fancy enough for Alfred, he needs a Mercury Grand Marquis!
crackmeup2.gif

Fancy? ---> Maseratti?

P.S. If memory serves me right, OP is in the Chicago area.
This should provide plenty of dealers and independents...
another option could be, find the small used car dealer who sells only sport cars: they usually specialize in domestic/european

Originally Posted By: Gixxer8989
Life is too short to drive boring cars. I've owned just about every make there is but I'm staying with euro cars from now on. We own 4 euros, 3 of them are bimmers. Next vehicles on the to buy list either a mercedes or bmw SUV for the wife, then an M5 or E series for me. If going with BMW stick with the straight 6. If you can't shop around for parts ( rock auto) or do any of your own work, it's going to cost you. For example and actuator for my awd bmw was $ 1600 plus 2 hrs at the dealer. Ordered from rock auto for 400 and installed myself. Saved 1600. There's nothing like a euro car, they have character and soul. They will probably need more repairs and cost more but for me it's worth it. If it's not for you, it's not for you. I'm NOT driving until my dying day in a fkn beige Corolla ( no offense they are great cars).

Being able to DIY is the difference between being able to own a German car, and feeling like it is a huge money pit.

My GF has a 2006 BMW 325xi. It has close to 130k miles on it and has been a good car. It needs front control arms, which are easy to replace and she already has them, we just haven't had time to do them yet. A week ago it decided to crack one of the plastic coolant hoses. Online the hose is $25-50. The dealer is $80. The car puked all it's coolant about 2 hours from home, so she had it towed to a local Indy shop thinking it wouldn't be terribly expensive. Well the hood latch somehow mysteriously broke while they had it, which is $600, and they claim the hose that broke is $350. Coolant is another $200 ($30 at the dealer for OEM coolant). They also stated they could replace the control arms (4 bolts total hold them on) for $300 since she had the part already. She basically went in for a $80 coolant hose + labor and coolant that ended up with an estimate for over $2000. It is being towed back to my house in a few days so I can fix the hose.

That's just a [censored] I am going to hit you over the head mechanic. It would not matter if it was a Toyota or a M.B they would have done the same thing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
And personally I would go with the N55 if I had the chance.

I am leaning towards N55 as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back