Amsoil 0W-20. 2016 Camry, 9200 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdv

Background: Amsoil Signature Series 0W20 with a 1/2 qt of make up around 6k. Vehicle is operated two different ways. It either does a short trip of 1.5 miles to work each way or it's used as a rideshare car in Boston, MA. When it is doing rideshare it runs for hours and usually 200-300 miles of low speed city driving. The car has averaged 26mph since I've owned it and has averaged 24.6 mpg overall. I'm not really an expert at these but it seems like the oil held up very well to the abuse. Thoughts?

Code:

OIL Amsoil 0W20

MILES IN USE 9.2k 9.2k

MILES 34.3k 34.3k

SAMPLE TAKEN 10/09/17 10/9/17

ALUMINUM 5 3

CHROMIUM 0 0

IRON 6 7

COPPER 2 2

LEAD 0 0

TIN 0 1

MOLYBDENUM 137 73

NICKEL 0 0

MANGANESE 1 0

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 2

POTASSIUM 0 2

BORON 60 30

SILICON 17 16

SODIUM 8 43

CALCIUM 3140 1837

MAGNESIUM 12 261

PHOSPHORUS 589 651

ZINC 656 755

BARIUM 0 0

INSOLUBLES 0.2
WATER 0 0

FLASHPOINT ºF 380 >385

SUS VIS 210ºF 56 46-57

cSt @ 212ºF 9.08 6-9.7

Fuel TR
TBN 4.9

Assuming right column is universal averages?
If so, the Amsoil is doing well, no concerns seen from my side.
Could do another 2,000 on it, viscosity is on the high range, but TBN looks good.

Yes, the universal averages are the right column.

Excellent. Thanks for sharing!
thumbsup2.gif

mdv
I agree with Danno and increase your OCI up another few thousand miles say to 12k miles. There's a lot of life left in that oil. Thanks for your post!

Appreciate the comments guys. I was a little nervous about doing a longer interval given how hard I am on the car. I'm glad to see it held up so well.

The engine sees redline quite often when I don't have pax and I want to get back to a good area. The car leads a rough life for sure, it's not driven like a typical Camry, so this is one less thing to worry about.

Last edited:
Not sure how the rest of the car is holding up but seems like the oil is handling things well, although slightly on the thick side of the spectrum even with half a quart of fresh additives added. I would cap it at 10k even with plenty of TBN left. That will leave you with a nice safety buffer for harsher driving conditions, etc.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Not sure how the rest of the car is holding up but seems like the oil is handling things well, although slightly on the thick side of the spectrum even with half a quart of fresh additives added. I would cap it at 10k even with plenty of TBN left. That will leave you with a nice safety buffer for harsher driving conditions, etc.

Just sway bar links and an ATF flush so far. ATF runs 190-200F and was toast by 25k. Brakes/Tires soon, but that's to be expected.

The Amsoil fuel efficient ATF is what's in there now. It's a little thicker than WS but so far so good. It's been 12k on it so far. It runs the same temperature but it seems to cool down faster when I can do a few miles at a steady speed with the converter locked.

Originally Posted By: mdv
The Amsoil fuel efficient ATF is what's in there now. It's a little thicker than WS but so far so good. It's been 12k on it so far. It runs the same temperature but it seems to cool down faster when I can do a few miles at a steady speed with the converter locked.

Good to know... I'm using the Multi-Vehicle ATF because my transmission requires ATF+4 and prior to that Diamond SP-III I noticed cooler temperatures with that one but it might be due to it being thicker.

In terms of high temperature protection Amsoil is pretty tough stuff.

Also where in Mass are you? (Boston proper or a suburb) My brother lives in Somerville and was in Cambridge before that when attending MiT.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Also where in Mass are you? My brother lives in Somerville.
smile.gif

20 more minutes up 93 towards the NH border.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Next time I'm down to see him I'll message you maybe we can grab a coffee. Met a few folks on here already.
cheers3.gif

I'm pretty boring in person...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back