What kind of cabin filter do you like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I buy the cheapest ones on Rock Auto, about $5.00 and change them every June.
I've found that the cheap ones flow better. Maybe they don't filter as well but my main concern is air flow.
Heat when its 20 below zero and A/C when its a 100 degrees.
thats Colorado for you.

I don't notice any difference with charcoal/baking powder-infused filters, which is why I'm sticking with el cheapo filters from now on. The extra air flow is also a bonus.

The "carbon" is just a marketing gimmick.. at least in the capful quantities they put in them.

I own a few IQAir filters for my home that use actual carbon for odor/VOC filtration, and these work, but they have 12 pounds of carbon that costs $300 and lasts 2 years before needing replacement.

https://www.achooallergy.com/air-purifie...-260-ia-4-ac-4/

I'm actually convinced that cabin filters are of zero benefit to the passengers because dirty air leaks in through many other places. If anything, the filter just prevents the evap core from getting dirty.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
my car doesn't take one.
frown.gif

none of ours do either.

My customers always need a new one. I just order one for that car.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45

I'm actually convinced that cabin filters are of zero benefit to the passengers because dirty air leaks in through many other places. If anything, the filter just prevents the evap core from getting dirty.

you say that like it's a bad thing...

charcoal air filters like anti-bacterial soap, is a product where industry created a demand where none existed or was needed.

I breath 'regular air' 24 hours a day; if you want my interior air more healthy, take out that poisonous 'new car smell'

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mclasser
I don't notice any difference with charcoal/baking powder-infused filters, which is why I'm sticking with el cheapo filters from now on. The extra air flow is also a bonus.

+1

Speaking of filters.. say you have a car with a filter and you switch it out to a clean one.. why is it when you turn the air on you still get a bunch of junk coming out of the vents?

Originally Posted By: MikeB4rsk
Speaking of filters.. say you have a car with a filter and you switch it out to a clean one.. why is it when you turn the air on you still get a bunch of junk coming out of the vents?

The filter isn't seated properly and you're sucking built up junk from the cowl.

Or, it's an old car and that's dry-rotted bits of blend door foam coming out of the vents.

My '11 Tahoe wasn't built with one. RA had a retro fit kit for it. What a big reduction on interior dust like on the dash, etc. .
I was surprised filter was not OEM on a late model expensive vehicle, my old '00 Sable and up had them.

I suppose omission of a CAF is a butch truck thing. Hey, look how much they reduced the cost of your truck! (Ha-Ha)

My friend's 1997 F-150 has a bit of the glovebox floor (either a depression or raised section) which is to be removed (cut out) as part of a CAF retrofit.

Now that the stores are stocking Fram's equivalent for my Sonata, I've been using those, with the carbon. Before that it was the dealer's stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back