Lasik eye surgery, before & after results?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before: 20/400

After: 20/15

Procedure was performed in 2000. I needed a second procedure after three months to get it fine tuned. 17 years later, my vision is still perfect. Best thing I ever did for myself. My outside vision is fantastic and I can wear good non-prescription sunglasses ala Maui Jim and Revo. Driving and golf is really great. I still need reading glasses but I understand they can fix that now too.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
I still need reading glasses but I understand they can fix that now too.

I thought having it done at an older age may result in needing readers full time as correcting for distance decreases your close vision and the older eye can't compensate anymore.

Thus, some chose mono vision; one eye corrected for distance the other for close up, but that can affect depth perception.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
I still need reading glasses but I understand they can fix that now too.

I thought having it done at an older age may result in needing readers full time as correcting for distance decreases your close vision and the older eye can't compensate anymore.

Thus, some chose mono vision; one eye corrected for distance the other for close up, but that can affect depth perception.

Exactly

I never got the monovision deal. I wanted both eyes to be 20/20 or better. I don’t mind using magnifiers when I read. Most people need reading glasses without laser.

Last edited:
I'm scared to try it...wore glasses since 3rd grade, contacts for about 20 years but I've gotten to the point that I went back to glasses with progressive lenses. Bifocal contacts gave me iffy upclose vision and poor distance vision, and monovision made me nauseous. Contacts in general feel dry and gritty by early evening, I assume my eyes are more dry than they used to be.

My eyes run about 20/500 uncorrected, also getting to the point where I can see better for really upclose work WITHOUT glasses...threading a needle for instance.

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
I'm scared to try it...wore glasses since 3rd grade

What exactly are you afraid of?

Originally Posted By: ZZman
My wife had it done about 11 years ago. Fast, painless. Her eyesight is still much better than before. Uses only reading glasses now as most our age do.

How old is your wife ?

Originally Posted By: Al

Not knocking Lasik but its best to get it at younger age so you can enjoy the great distance vision without needing readers for everything.

Successful near sighted contact lens wearers can get by longer in life without being dependent on reading glasses using lower power lenses in one or both eyes. You won't read street signs a mile away anymore, but being able read fine print or use a cell phone without have to fumble for reading glasses makes up for it.

Just my 2 cents

Originally Posted By: Al

I can manage with glasses...what if I create a new problem...halos, night vision issues, etc? Better the devil you know...

There are quite a few POTENTIAL side effects from LASIK. The percentage of people who have serious ones is quite small, but when multiplied by the number of people who've had it done there is a sizable community of unhappy campers. Here are a few side effects.

Long term painful dry eyes. (When the flap is cut, corneal nerves are severed. Not everyone ends up regenerating all those nerves.)

If your interocular pressure increases later in life and the cornea ends up being too thin from the LASER abalation you can end up with keratoconus which is bulging of the cornea. So, if glaucoma runs in the family keep that in mind.

The top layer of the cornea doesn't always heal to a totally smooth surface which leads to irregular astigmatism that can only be corrected by oversized rigid contact lenses.

As has previously been stated, if your pupils dilate beyond the ablated area at night you will suffer from very poor night vision.

Contrast sensitivity is usually reduced due to the trauma to the cornea.

And, you may still end up needing glasses. I know two close friends who had the surgery and ended up back in glasses after only a couple of years.

All that being said, most people are thrilled with the procedure and are very happy to have done it. Just go in with your eyes open, so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back