Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 D1G2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JustN89
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: JustN89
I kinda like this formulation. That's a solid looking add pack for a d1G2 oil with the little touch of added moly and a lot more boron, and I actually like how it looks over the Ultra Platinum flavor. It will be interesting to see what they do with Ultra Platinum, if anything.

Question is, will it be worth the added cost? The new PP looks very good on paper, not to mention that you can find it everywhere unlike the Ultra, the albino deer.

To be honest, I'm not really sure what the difference is between the Ultra and regular Platinum. I would love to know what the difference between the two is.

That is the billion dollar question. In one way, Ultra vs Platinum could be compared to Mobil1 EP vs AP. Ultra might tout the advantage of a longer oci but for the $xx.xx is it worth it? I have recently read on here somewhere that Pennzoil will not pursue the dexos G2 spec for Ultra. That info was obtained via a phone call to Shell from a poster here on BITOG.

I just did an oil change today with PPD1G2. Smells very natural-gassy
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Is there a VOA for D1G2 for 0w20 PP? People here refer to it but, I am unable to locate the VOA? Ed

Not yet. The certification is new so there will be some time before a uoa or a voa is posted. You can get the specs for it by searching on here as SOPUS hasn’t updated their site yet.

Reading this thread, the next time I do an oil change, when I run out of my old stock of PP 5W-20, I will seriously be considering running the 5W-30 in my Hemi instead of the spec'd 5W-20.

Also, reading about the differences, or lack of, between the Ultra and the Platinum, I remember this be discussed numerous times back in 2013.
It seemed asinine, even back then to run the Ultra as the differences between the 2 were negligible. Not frequenting the site much since then, until recently, I am surprised this is still being talked about and the Ultra is still being used/manufactured?

Stopped by Wally’s yesterday to take a glance and nope, no sign of that elusive albino deer. It seems that WM has reduced their brand selection of oils over the past few months. Lots of Pennzoil, M1, Castrol, and Supertech with some Chevron Supreme for filler and that’s it. Valvoline was delegated to the ends.

Originally Posted By: irv
Reading this thread, the next time I do an oil change, when I run out of my old stock of PP 5W-20, I will seriously be considering running the 5W-30 in my Hemi instead of the spec'd 5W-20.

Also, reading about the differences, or lack of, between the Ultra and the Platinum, I remember this be discussed numerous times back in 2013.
It seemed asinine, even back then to run the Ultra as the differences between the 2 were negligible. Not frequenting the site much since then, until recently, I am surprised this is still being talked about and the Ultra is still being used/manufactured?

I know there has been a lot discussed on here about only running the 20 in Hemis. This PP 5W-30 is fairly thin. I would run it if it were me.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16

I know there has been a lot discussed on here about only running the 20 in Hemis. This PP 5W-30 is fairly thin. I would run it if it were me.

That is what I am thinking but I'd like to read those threads about the Hemi and the 20 oil first. Are those threads in this section or somewhere else?
With that being said, however, with these new changes coming, Dexos-1 gen2 type oils and the like, I don't think there is much difference between the 2 oils anymore?

Originally Posted By: bigj_16

That is what I am thinking but I'd like to read those threads about the Hemi and the 20 oil first. Are those threads in this section or somewhere else?
With that being said, however, with these new changes coming, Dexos-1 gen2 type oils and the like, I don't think there is much difference between the 2 oils anymore?

I agree. SOPUS imo has dropped the ball on this. Between the price difference and lack of product on shelves in certain regions, they make the Platinum a easy choice.

Stopped by Wally’s yesterday to take a glance and nope, no sign of that elusive albino deer. It seems that WM has reduced their brand selection of oils over the past few months. Lots of Pennzoil, M1, Castrol, and Supertech with some Chevron Supreme for filler and that’s it. Valvoline was delegated to the ends.

Yeah, the two wal marts closest to me decided to say screw it on the PP grades. Only have PP 5w30 “euro” and PP 10w30. SMH

Originally Posted By: Garak
That's great, isn't it? One oil that hardly anyone specifies, and one that no one specifies.

Yeah, and God forbid you show them their online store they just stare. SMH!

If I remember correctly, the biggest different between Platinum and Ultra was that Ultra had more GTL base. This was never confirmed though. Ultra had a larger amount of boron. Now Platinum has a big dose of boron and since SOPUS isn’t likely to divulge their base formula the question remains , why Ultra?

If I choose, I’ll go with Platinum. Easier to find. Much less expensive.

If I remember correctly, the biggest different between Platinum and Ultra was that Ultra had more GTL base. This was never confirmed though. Ultra had a larger amount of boron. Now Platinum has a big dose of boron and since SOPUS isn’t likely to divulge their base formula the question remains , why Ultra?

I actually think Pennzoil Gold 5W30 looks better than PPPP 5W30 going by the PDS for the former that wemay shared here and the SOPUS website info on the latter...not that the numbers shared really tell us that much about oil performance. The Gold is quite a bit thicker at 100C.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4549199/1

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

I actually think Pennzoil Gold 5W30 looks better than PPPP 5W30 going by the PDS for the former that wemay shared here and the SOPUS website info on the latter...not that the numbers shared really tell us that much about oil performance. The Gold is quite a bit thicker at 100C.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4549199/1

Pure speculation of course but I wonder if Shell’s GTL base is making its way into Pennzoil Gold?

Pure speculation of course but I wonder if Shell’s GTL base is making its way into Pennzoil Gold?

Good question...I just checked and the PDS that was shared with wemay is STILL not on the SOPUS website!
I hope they didn't decide it was too good and watered it down so it wouldn't take PPPP share away...
;^)

I will have to add this oil to my short list of oils to use in the Mazda. The others are Pennzoil Platinum and Valvoline Advanced Synthetic, all 0w-20 grade. The Platinum has the HTO-06 certificate which is impressive for a 0w-20. Thanks for the reminder about Pennzoil Gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back