Do you run cheap, mid grade or premium filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only run Wix or Fram Ultra. I'll leave the Fram Ultra on the Jeep at the next oil change.

The only exception is the Sonata, I run OEM filters in it. They're only $5-$6, made well, and supposedly Hyundais like them.

For the truck and the old Tercel, I run cheap ones.

For the others, I'm currently running OEMs, but bought WIX (non-XP) for the next OC, so they would be mid-grades.

I own GM and toyota vehicles and use nothing but OEM. Since I began cutting them open, regardless of media quality, which I cannot really be a judge on, the ADBV and overall design seems superior to the aftermarket, and the price isn't really any higher. I figure if it's good enough to pass the engineering sniff test at the OE level, it's good enough for me...I've had plenty of engines go 250K+ miles on OE filters without lube related issues, and zero that failed due to lube issues, so that has helped make my decision.

Last edited:
A recent factory (GM) AC Delco that is superior to aftermarket filters? Surely you jest!

If not, then you must be housing a rare breed silicone ADBV in that AC Delco model you (or the wife) drive. Heck, even the GM AC Delcos without any ADBV are subpar filters these days (PF61 for instance).

Been using OEM filters on my Tacoma as of late but have a FU ready to go next oil change and will probably stick with that if I like the way they work, 6 months or 7500 miles whichever comes first on that truck for an OCI, definitely overkill for a FU but it will be replaced every time as I see no reason to run a filter multiple times when they're only $8 a piece.
I have an OCOD on the 7.3 Powerstroke and will probably stick to that route. That truck gets the oil changed once a year religiously since I don't drive it much and sometimes barely peeks over 3000 miles a year so I see no reason to run a premium filter on it. Although it gets T6 full synthetic oil so I probably could go 2 years per change but I feel better about doing it once yearly. 7.3 injectors like clean, fresh oil and they're $300 a piece to replace so I'd rather be spending a few extra bucks a year on an oil change than a set of injectors!
My Mustang currently has a MC FL-1A on it but will probably be getting a FU XG8A next spring when I change the oil as it's now parked for the winter. Always loved the FL-1A but with the Tearolator issues going on with MC and Purolator filters, I'd rather not take the risk with my most prized possession!

I have been running mostly Ultra filters on my Corvette and my Honda, and in my wife's BMW I've run nothing but the Mann filters. When I get my new Corvette I'm going to run the OEM AC Delco filter during the warranty period, and might even consider running it after that as I do believe it's a very well made filter.

Originally Posted By: Patman
I have been running mostly Ultra filters on my Corvette and my Honda, and in my wife's BMW I've run nothing but the Mann filters. When I get my new Corvette I'm going to run the OEM AC Delco filter during the warranty period, and might even consider running it after that as I do believe it's a very well made filter.

Cut one open.
20.gif

For the last 25 years or so on our Japanese vehicles I use the OEM filters made by Denso. I can get them cheap enough and the construction is top notch. Before that, Fram orange cans.

Originally Posted By: supton
Right now I buy Denso's as I can order a box of them for each vehicle and it's $4 per filter.

Where can you buy Denso filters by the case for $4 per?

I don't normally use premium filters unless I plan to extend the OCI or FCI. I don't believe in the cheap insurance argument. Spending extra money on products and not utilizing them to its maximum potential is only money out the window with nothing to gain.

For normal OCIs of ~5k, cheap a/o mid-grade filters will be more than adequate.

current stash has supertech 9866 filters for the jeep (3.5k-4k oci's) and fram ch6004 filters for the motorcycle (2.5k-3k oci's); the supertechs are the new wix made ones & the frams were bought on clearance from advanced auto parts (chinese made ones have media with significantly more pleats than the ones made in india)

I run whatever I find interesting, then I cut them up and form an opinion... From that, some favourites have emerged.
I'd gladly use Mann and Mahle again. Purolator, Champion and OGM? Rather not, especially when they cost the same (Purolator, GM) as Mann/Mahle or are just a mere 3€ cheaper (Champion).
I'm exited to try out Hengst, as they're usually dirt cheap - will be interesting to see whether their products are more in the league of Champion or rather their german competitors.

I was using Fram Ultras but decided it was a waste of money since my OCI is 5 to 6K miles to keep the warranty police happy. I now use Supertech most of the time and occasionally tough guards if the supertechs are out of stock (have two mazdas that use the 6607 size filter which seems to be not as widely stocked at most Walmarts).

On my Verano I've been using Supertech filters since it's a canister and I only run 5k intervals. On my Ram I've been using RA closeout Fram made Carquest Red & Blue filters at 8k intervals.

I've learned,from cutting filters open,past 14 years,city driving, premium filters are still another 3_4,000 miles servicable,as the media's had blotches,of I'm saturated with black oil,usually fra m tough guards,taken out at 4,300 miles intervals. Less than premium, Napa proselect,fra m extraguard, media all black. But the oil,for sure,was unusable,black too thick black,after 4,000 miles.

Never reused a premium,as the risk,the o ring seal on top of the filters,might fail,from re training it back into filter adapter. It's happened too me, once I remember, way back, 1995, 20 years old, putting a used fra m extraguard back on a 1985 isuz u I mark hatchback. Screwed it on till it stopped, turned it 1/4 turn,started car,looked under, oil was [censored] fast,like it was trying too escape from the engine,all over the garage floor. Took filter off,and noted ,still remember, the black o ring on top of the can,completely appeared,warped,and crushed. Never again. One filter,one interval.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ziggy
Never reused a premium,as the risk,the o ring seal on top of the filters,might fail,from re training it back into filter adapter. It's happened too me, once I remember, way back, 1995, 20 years old, putting a used fra m extraguard back on a 1985 isuz u I mark hatchback. Screwed it on till it stopped, turned it 1/4 turn,started car,looked under, oil was [censored] fast,like it was trying too escape from the engine,all over the garage floor. Took filter off,and noted ,still remember, the black o ring on top of the can,completely appeared,warped,and crushed. Never again. One filter,one interval.

You could always run the filter for two intervals but don't remove it to pour out the old oil. It's not like that amount of oil is going to harm anything anyways, there is a lot more old oil that is still trapped in the head(s) of an engine when you're draining the oil and that never comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back