greasing leaf springs to prevent rust?

Status
Not open for further replies.
following the motorcycle chain lube idea...

dupont chain saver (wax based) or maxima chain wax; dupont dries a bit less tacky than maxima; both spray into areas using a carrier solvent and set up thicker as the solvent evaporates; maxima chain wax is on my v star 250 chain...did a 2nd coating for off season outdoor storage (motorcycle cover & under roof on patio) to seal out elements

I use Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector on bare metal stuff, but I don't lubricate leaf springs. I am curious about the previously mentioned Fluid Film. I may have to give it try.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Many leaf springs are meant to not have an external lubricate applied. The spring lief themselves are supposed to have a specific friction between them. I once had a vehicle with leaf springs and I jacked up the vehicle and sprayed oil between the leafs. The rear of the vehicle became very soft and was a danger to turn quickly. Ed

Vegetable oil might eventually make them rock-hard then, since its a pretty strong adhesive once it sets. If its driven regularly though the forces would probably keep the leafs separate. By adding mineral oil you might be able to "tune" the spring ing. Hours of fun.

Another easy choice is Corrosion-X MaxWax. It's a heavy duty corrosion inhibitor that leaves a tough wax-like coating that will not attract dirt. Works exceptionally well. A spray can is about $15 and will easily do 2 leaf springs and much more.

MaxWax.png

Last edited:
I have been using Rustoleum Rust Reformer on boat and truck springs for years … but do have to spray them about twice a year _ two light coats to get a bit of penetrating effect and yet not modify the coefficient of drag …

I drive plenty of gravel & mush roads and some water crossings too .

Originally Posted By: Trav
I wouldn't use grease of fluid type films on leaf springs, as someone pointed out it will attract sand and cause wear and accelerated rust when the shiny spots get wet. Use a dry graphite spray.
Something like this should work okay, the carrier will evaporate quickly leaving the dry film.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Blaster-5-5-oz-Industrial-Graphite-Dry-Lubricant-8-GS/202597501

Graphite is a lubricant but I'd doubt it would have much anti-corrosion effect, rather the reverse, since its carbon and relatively high in the electrochemical series.

The title suggests corrosion is the primary concern here, and its been pointed out above that lubrication may have an undesirable effect on spring characteristics.

Boatbuilders have to be very careful to encapsulate and isolate carbon fibre from any metals, especially aluminium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back