Unwise to use X-30 where 5w-20 is specified?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2002 Odyssey with a V-6 specs 5w20. It started burning oil at 80k, so i switched to 5w30 synthetic, and it seems to run great on it, with no consumption. Got about 20k so far on the new grade.

I had a Taurus with over 200K. The 3.0 Vulcan used oil with the "Revised" specification 5W20.
Went back to a 5W30, and oil consumption basically dwindled to nothing.
Use 5W30 in my Ranger which is spec'd for 5W20. No problems, and the motor does not sound like agricultural equipment any more.

My car was spec'd for 0w20 in North America only. Everywhere else in the world there is a very large usable oil weigh range from 0w20 to 15w40...I'll bet that in other regions of the world they use a different weight as well.

Anyway...I have been using 5w30 in my Corolla for over 220,000 miles and achieve better fuel economy than EPA suggests. No oil burning issues either.

Last edited:
I agree with CajunNative.
My truck was spec'd for 5w20 and even has that on the oil cap. It's had 5w30 and 10w30 and a few, very few 5w20 changes. No difference except smoother on the 30 wt oils.
Currently it has Havoline 10w30 synthetic in it and it's still under warranty.
That's boogie man belief they are going to deny you on oil grade unless it's gear oil or ATF in there or that oil would actually cause the damage from 5w20 to 10w30 and I am putting my money where my mouth is.

I usually run 5w30 in everything except my VW. Trying out 0w40 in one to see what the difference will be. I tried 5w20 in my Xterra, simply because I had it from my ex's car. It made the top end sound like a diesel on a hot summer day. Back to 5w30 and it was silent again.

Originally Posted By: Sealbilly
Is it unwise to use 5w or 10w30 in a car that calls for 5w20 if it has high mileage like 225k? Honda element 2003 is starting to use a little oil. I have always used synthetic and changed at 5k. My other vehicles call for 5w30.

I think going to a 5w30 would be great if your using a little oil. For the mileage of the car though, just curious to why its using oil? Most cars the valve guides go bad and you lose oil there, but if you have been using synthetic oil that should not be the case.

Remember the 20w oils are mainly for fuel economy, but what I find kinda strange is my Hyundai's that use 5w20 oil as specified get the same mileage as my GTI using a 40w oil. That just amazes me. haha.

Anyway, I think using a 5w30 would be fine here. Give it a shot. Report back to us.

Jeff

In terms of cold starts, a 5W is a 5W is a 5W.
At operating temperatures, a 5W-30 will obviously fall into a thicker range, but the difference isn't all that great.
Try the 5W-30 and see how it goes.
I can tell you that I've seen good results with both M1 HM and Maxlife SB in burners.

The 2010 Fusion in my signature specs 5w20, but here in Phoenix, it regularly goes over 115F in the summer, so I almost always run 5w- or 10w-30 in it during the hot months. it normally only sees 5w20 between october and March, and sometimes not even then. I've been doing this since it had about 180,000 miles on it.

It's over 243,000 miles so draw your own conclusions.

Then again, in many engines, 5w-30 will shear down closer to 5w-20 within a few thousand miles anyways. I suspect my Duratec 2.5 does this.

At that mileage, the bearings have opened up a bit, so 0W-40 would not be out of the question.

Have you changed the PCV valve lately? Some of the oil consumption may be coming from there ...

Amazing , why are people hang up about API PCMO . Most API 5w 30 will shear dowm to a 20 weight oil in few K miles . I will take a STEADY 5W 20 over majority of API 5W 30 .Lower VII less shear, Lower Noack than a 30 weight. If 5W 20 was specified I will not lose sleep over it .

Is it unwise to use 5w or 10w30 in a car that calls for 5w20 if it has high mileage like 225k? Honda element 2003 is starting to use a little oil. I have always used synthetic and changed at 5k. My other vehicles call for 5w30.

Perfectly fine, better then fine. 5/30 or 10/30, though for winter I would tend to lean towards the 5/30.

It won't hurt anything. Are you wanting to use thicker oils for the purpose of simplified logistics as in only stocking 5W-30 for all vehicles?

Personally, I'd use a high mileage 0/5W-20 if not using much oil...

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX

I think going to a 5w30 would be great if your using a little oil. For the mileage of the car though, just curious to why its using oil? Most cars the valve guides go bad and you lose oil there, but if you have been using synthetic oil that should not be the case.

Remember the 20w oils are mainly for fuel economy, but what I find kinda strange is my Hyundai's that use 5w20 oil as specified get the same mileage as my GTI using a 40w oil. That just amazes me. haha.

Anyway, I think using a 5w30 would be fine here. Give it a shot. Report back to us.

Jeff

5W-30 is also "for fuel economy"...

So what?

I recently posted a thread where i too questioned the relevance of using 5w20 in my 2017 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L here in South Florida. The Owner's Manual offers 5w30 and 10w30 as alternatives to the main recommendation of 5w20 as seen on my oil fill cap. It was to the point where i was "firmly" in the 5w30 camp. Thinking it through, and realizing that i overthink these things, at the end of the day, neither offers any significant MPG/ wear protection benefit over the other. Going with 5w30 would not be an issue. To each their own when choosing between these viscosities in an application calling for 5w20.
I'm sticking with 5w20...today
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back