Oh boy.... teen son wants to go ROTC.... good/bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did 20 years in the Air Force and loved it. No criticism of the Army, Navy, or Marines but I say go Air Force.

That pic from approach @ Princess Juliana Int'l in St Martin?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Cujet
My best friend recently died. His 19 year old son has well above average intelligence, he's tall and good looking, articulate, a capable worker, a newly minted private pilot and more. This guy is head and shoulders above the average kid. However, he also makes a string of seemingly endless bad choices, hangs with the wrong people and so on and has an attitude a mile long.

He also inherited money and does not really need to work, ever. I see his life going two ways. One involving repeated visits by law enforcement, court cases, rapidly depleting funds, contentious relationships, decades of child support and so on. OR one involving career focus, heading towards flying the F22 (for example) , and more.

More than anything, I believe that if he could focus on an Air Force career via ROTC, he could do absolutely anything he wanted. Rather than rely on dad's money, he has the opportunity to forge his own way towards awesomeness. To be one of mankind's best.

I hope your son gets good guidance, makes good choices and succeeds beyond all expectations.

As I wind down my aviation career, I recognize the value of those good choices made years ago. The value of focus, and determination. The value of education, discipline and the resulting opportunity. I've succeeded where others failed, not because of luck, but due to knowing what I wanted and making sure I got it. In the end, I've had the best of the best!

GV_beach_flyover_resize.jpg

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
He'll either have the discipline for it, or he won't.

This.

I have many friends/family that were in or are currently in the military. It has many benefits, but also some things you need to keep in mind, such as possibly being deployed. One of my friends went into the Air Force, and it was one of the best things for him. He was a troubled kid, always getting into things, law enforcement problems, etc. Now he has a good job, is married, and is a stand up guy. He is always talking about how great the Air Force was and all of the experiences it allowed him. My cousin went through the Naval academy, and now flies planes in areas he can't even discuss and loves his job.

Another friend of mine went into the National Guard right after she graduated high school. She has been to Afghanistan 2 times and has been in some rough situations. She does not bring up the military at all, and prefers not to talk about it. She has PTSD that impacts her life on a daily basis.

For many people it is an excellent choice, but it either works for you, or it doesn't.

One of my college room-mates at St Louis U in the late 80s was in ROTC. The main thing I remember was him spending lots of time spit-shining his boots...lots of dirty cotton balls laying around with black polish on them.

I see lots of teens and young adults who would benefit greatly from the discipline that comes from service.

Did NJROTC with the intention of going for NAVY SEAL at 17. Great experience. Wouldn't take it back for anything.

Then I found out I'd never make it for lack of 20/20 vision and couldn't see the point anymore.

Grandad had me set on being a sniper since he gave memy first long gun for my 11th birthday. My eyeballs apparently disagreed with this destiny. I really wanted to be a pilot instead, but my father flew in Vietnam and it was forbidden for there to be another military pilot in his family.

My 18 year old son, enlisted in USCG between 11th and 12th grade last year. He graduated HS this past June, went to boot camp in Aug, and now is stationed in Texas, he loves it. Has been to New Orleans, up the Mississippi and down towards Mexico, great experience for him. On active duty you receive $4500/yr education benefits and will have the GI bill after he is done with his career. My other son is in 11th grade and is wanting to do the same.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Son in HS exploring military as career, was leaning Air Force and now Army. Main point is...Thinking going via ROTC. Anyone have recent experience in such matters themselves or as a parent?

The good the bad and the ugly? Let me know.

Been there done that. 12 years later we are two very proud parents of a sailor in the USN. It was the best decision my son ever made, he absolutely loves it, so much so he signed the dotted line for another 6 years. It has taken us places we'd never have been, and we've met a lot of great people along the way.

My other advice. If your son decides to go, don't go to any special schools such as Airborne or Air Assault until after commissioning.

First, it is a much better experience to go as an officer vs as a cadet. Second, if you were to be injured to the point of disability, what the military owes a cadet is much less than a commissioned officer.

While it may seem gung ho to go as a cadet, the wings are just the same when you graduate a school as a 2LT or Ensign.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
My Son in law just joined the Air Force. He is in School right now learning Aviation hydraulics. I just talked to him yesterday and he said he is loving it. His goal was to learn a trade that he can use when he gets out. He told me that compared to other jobs he has had this was cake. He just turned 27.

Will he make the Air Force a career or is he in just for a few years ?

Lots of military trades can be used in the civilian world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back