Wet dry vacuum recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
My parents had one years ago, noisy and plastic which gets brittle with age. My big question is brand differences and canister materials, metal vs polycarbonate plastic? Ryobi, vs shop-vac vs craftsman etc. It has to have the suck, and pump feature i saw years ago as my roof is flat. It let you suck up liquid then simultaneously pump it out the back. All recommendations and suggestions are appreciated.

The Rigid I bought at Home Depot 20 yrs ago is still handling anything too gross for the indoor vacuum. What ever you get, get a spare filter or 2.

I too have a Ridgid, it does a good job and I abuse the heck out of it. I've washed the entire motor with a pressure washer after vacuuming drywall dust and it keeps soldiering on.

I've always preferred Craftsman, but haven't bought a new one in the past several years.

Same … my camp flooded during Harvey and that Craftsman shop vacuum worked some serious overtime

Vacmaster 12 gal.
I've had this for 6 years.
Detach the top and it turns into a blower.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vacmaster-12-gal-Wet-Dry-Vacuum-with-Detachable-Blower-VBV1210/202770739?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D25T-WetDryVacs%7c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgpKK2bDM1wIVFtlkCh2XxAL1EAQYASABEgKA7_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CPzZg-awzNcCFQatTwodgLcDRA

I've had a Shop Vac Deluxe for probably 7 or 8 years now and it's been flawless. Had another before that, it was easily 15+ years old.

I have had good luck with Craftsman. Not sure if they are still available with Sears heading to bankruptcy. i think every shop vac should have a Clean Stream Filter installed. The filter is made of some kind of porous teflon material and is reusable FOREVER. Mine has sucked up pounds of drywall dust and nasty liquids when you use a shop vac to unclog a toilet. To clean, just gently tap the filter while holding it over a trash can. The crud just falls away. You can also use a gentle stream of water from a hose. I did ruin one by getting inpatient and using high pressure air, I blew a hole in it
mad.gif

Bottom line, I like these filters so much that I would buy a shop vac that they make Clean Stream Filters for. Get 2 filters in case they quit making them. Cost about 30 dollars each and worth every penney.

I was gifted a 12 gallon stainless canister Shop-Vac [brand] and would not recommend it. Its very loud (the pitch is annoying), the clasps for the motor/canister come undone spontaneously (lift the motor/handle and the canister nearly takes a dump) and the power switch has been sticking since new (drives me wild, they even replaced the whole motor assembly containing the switches).

I only occasionally use it, but the Ridgid WD1450 has replaced it. It has none of the Shop-Vac negatives, very powerful and its the quietest shop vac I've used. Probably the only negative would be its size.

Ok 97P, Ill jump. Why are you wet vacuuming your flat roof?
I have a EPDM flat roof and I broom it periodically - the stuiff the wind doesn't easily blow off.
You should have perforations with drains if its large with no pitch.

My parents are getting the roof replaced in the spring, we have a section that ponds water really bad with any heavy rain and snow.

I picked up the $100 Rigid model at a garage sale for $15. Soon after my 15yr old [censored] went tango uniform. Couldn't believe my timing. Went to HD & bought a drain plug + a clearstream (gore tex) filter. It also accepts my 2-1/2" dust collection hose from Woodcraft. The larger ID allows for MUCH better airflow vs. the stock hose, plus WC sells 2-1/2" hose accesories much cheaper than HD. Rockler sells similar. If you need a longer hose, just add a coupler to connect two together.

Fortunately, it's not too loud. It also allows you to connect the hose to the output to BLOW AIR. Very useful.

49.gif

I've probably been through 4-5 ShopVac brand wet/dry vacuums in 25yrs. ~5yrs on average before the motor exhales it's smoke.

Originally Posted By: 97prizm
My parents are getting the roof replaced in the spring, we have a section that ponds water really bad with any heavy rain and snow.
Ahhh ... saggy Deck. Been there.
Take care up there.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I picked up the $100 Rigid model at a garage sale for $15. Soon after my 15yr old [censored] went tango uniform. Couldn't believe my timing. Went to HD & bought a drain plug + a clearstream (gore tex) filter. It also accepts my 2-1/2" dust collection hose from Woodcraft. The larger ID allows for MUCH better airflow vs. the stock hose, plus WC sells 2-1/2" hose accesories much cheaper than HD. Rockler sells similar. If you need a longer hose, just add a coupler to connect two together.

Fortunately, it's not too loud. It also allows you to connect the hose to the output to BLOW AIR. Very useful.

49.gif

I usually just pick up the cheap $30-$40 model they typically have on sale on Black Friday at Home Depot. They're now up to $40. Usually lasts a couple years before something happens to it, usually gets stolen or someone borrows it and never returns it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back