It's that time of year...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I moved in to my new to me (and first) home of my own 3 months ago, so this is the first time putting up my own Christmas decorations. Our family has always been big on Christmas, in fact I have been listening to Christmas music for weeks already
lol.gif
These went up on Saturday, and two other neighbors followed in my steps and put some lights up also!

Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas!

Christmas music already? I was flipping through radio stations in the car last week and heard Christmas music, turned it off asap
crackmeup2.gif

Here in the desert, I've got lots of cactus in my yard. Every year I toss some Christmas lights on a couple of them and hang some of those light up candy canes on them. I'll hang them up in a week or two

The neighbors probably think I'm insane, but that's ok. That's the point
grin2.gif

My parents were not big on Christmas(or any holidays, including birthdays) at all, and I continued with that as a young adult. Then I realized how much I was missing out on, and I do it big now. And loving it. Started listening to Christmas music last week.

Good for you, Greg.

Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas to all!

"Dear George, remember no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings, Love Clarence."

Christmas with no snow?!? What?!! Too weird for me! LOL

With that said, Id prefer palm trees to bitter cold and snow!

I am moving next month into a new house and unfortunately at each corner of the roof there is an electrical outlet. That means my wife might force me to hang lights.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
I am moving next month into a new house and unfortunately at each corner of the roof there is an electrical outlet. That means my wife might force me to hang lights.

If she wants 'em, she can hang 'em. That's what my wife does. I'd do it, but when she gets the bug she decides to do so. Fine by me.

I love putting up lights!

My Acreage is on the outside of a corner, so I only have about 300 feet of frontage on the road (Property looks like a slice of pizza with the very tip bit off)

My house can't be seen from the road, so I decorate the gate & trees out front instead:

I'm happy to see Christmas is making a comeback and starting to replace X-mas.

In the LA area, a homeowner was asked to take down his Christmas lights and display because it offended his Muslim neighbor. His response. He got his credit card and purchased a thousand dollars of additional lights. His other neighbors donated a manger scene and a big Santa Claus and they had a decorating party. To appease the cranky neighbor they put up 3 cardboard camels. The kids had a great time. Christmas, a time of good cheer and fellowship.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

Careful, a quick look reveals that using "x-mas" (or a derivative) dates back 100+ years. It's hardly a modern snub--perhaps some use it today to do so, but the usage of x-mas is very old.

In the LA area, a homeowner was asked to take down his Christmas lights and display because it offended his Muslim neighbor. His response. He got his credit card and purchased a thousand dollars of additional lights. His other neighbors donated a manger scene and a big Santa Claus and they had a decorating party. To appease the cranky neighbor they put up 3 cardboard camels. The kids had a great time. Christmas, a time of good cheer and fellowship.
“Xmas is a common abbreviation of the word Christmas. It is sometimes pronounced eksmes, but Xmas, and variants such as Xtemass, originated as handwriting abbreviations for the typical pronunciation krismes. The "X" comes from the Greek letter Chi, which is the first letter of the Greek word xpiotoc;, which in English is "[censored]".[1] The "-mas" part is from the Latin-derived Old English word for Mass.[2]

There is a common belief that the word Xmas stems from a secular attempt to remove the religious tradition from Christmas[3] by taking the "[censored]" out of "Christmas", but its use dates back to the 16th century.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmas

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I moved in to my new to me (and first) home of my own 3 months ago, so this is the first time putting up my own Christmas decorations. Our family has always been big on Christmas, in fact I have been listening to Christmas music for weeks already
lol.gif
These went up on Saturday, and two other neighbors followed in my steps and put some lights up also!

Congratulations on the new abode and nice decorations not over the top.
Kevin

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

“Xmas is a common abbreviation of the word Christmas. It is sometimes pronounced eksmes, but Xmas, and variants such as Xtemass, originated as handwriting abbreviations for the typical pronunciation krismes. The "X" comes from the Greek letter Chi, which is the first letter of the Greek word xpiotoc;, which in English is "[censored]".[1] The "-mas" part is from the Latin-derived Old English word for Mass.[2]

There is a common belief that the word Xmas stems from a secular attempt to remove the religious tradition from Christmas[3] by taking the "[censored]" out of "Christmas", but its use dates back to the 16th century.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmas
I had a Sister of Charity of Cincinnati assault me when I was a kid for using Xmas on a homework assignment. Said I was trying to cross [censored] out of my life. Those nuns could whip a pointer out from under those robes faster than Hopalong Cassidy could draw his six shooter. Times long gone bye. Wouldn't want to do it all over again.

Originally Posted By: ag_ghost
Originally Posted By: gregk24
lol.gif

Congratulations on the new abode and nice decorations not over the top.
Kevin

Thank you sir!

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I love putting up lights!

My Acreage is on the outside of a corner, so I only have about 300 feet of frontage on the road (Property looks like a slice of pizza with the very tip bit off)

My house can't be seen from the road, so I decorate the gate & trees out front instead:

Nice! Thank you for sharing.

Looks good Greg! Been thinking about putting up some light this year, but procrastinated putting up a holiday receptacle in the soffit. Because I'm too lazy to unplug them and would rather just flip a switch, lol.

Our neighbors across the lake are on their roof installing strings of lights. I hope the arrival of our rescue service doesn't interrupt our dinner. Be safe everyone. Accidents can happen in a second, but it takes months and sometimes years to recover from injuries caused by falls.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Our neighbors across the lake are on their roof installing strings of lights. I hope the arrival of our rescue service doesn't interrupt our dinner. Be safe everyone. Accidents can happen in a second, but it takes months and sometimes years to recover from injuries caused by falls.

Some guy in Florida died when he fell trying to install storm shutters on his house. Skull hit the ground and he was gone.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Christmas music already? I was flipping through radio stations in the car last week and heard Christmas music, turned it off asap
crackmeup2.gif

I did exactly the same thing, lol. They start playing it way too early, and Christmas decorations going up before Thanksgiving is also too soon. I've never put up the decorations before December.

But to each his own.

Greg24, your decorations look nice. You have the right amount ...not over the top and not too little. Very nicely done.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back