Hunter Balancer for Careless Tire Techs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Traction
Yes the new Hunter Revolution is a pretty impressive tire machine for sure, and probably cost well over 30 grand. I'm sure it's possible to screw that up too with some techs. Check out the video, 10 operators, 10 different tire/wheel combos, running 10 machines in unison. Wow
https://www.hunter.com/tire-changers/revolution

Ah .....

This thread was about a balancer, not the mounting machine.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Yes the new Hunter Revolution is a pretty impressive tire machine for sure, and probably cost well over 30 grand. I'm sure it's possible to screw that up too with some techs. Check out the video, 10 operators, 10 different tire/wheel combos, running 10 machines in unison. Wow
https://www.hunter.com/tire-changers/revolution

Ah .....

This thread was about a balancer, not the mounting machine.

Yeah, I know, but it was still an interesting side-track. I'm sure Hunter is working a machine that can mount and balance all in one. The wheel is already clamped in the center, so I'm sure it could be done, even if they had to tip the whole machine over on it's side. It would be much easier if they just made the wheel and tire perfectly round, and balanced, without difficult tire combos to mount.

....... It would be much easier if they just made the wheel and tire perfectly round, and balanced, without difficult tire combos to mount.

Ah, that would be great, but we are so far away from that, I don't think anyone here will ever see that. A lot of progress has been made, but the demands keep getting worse.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
...It would be much easier if they just made the wheel and tire perfectly round, and balanced, without difficult tire combos to mount.

Michelin is exploring 3D printing of a 1 piece tire/wheel.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/24/16126356/michelin-3d-printing-reinvent-the-wheel-driverless-age

If they ever perfect the airless tire, 3D printing one would be great. When I started in the tire industry some 40 years ago, self supporting tires was the holy grail. We're closer, but still a long ways away - and the target keeps moving. Adding 3D printing to the mix is another step up in technology that is also going to take some time to work out. I'm still betting we won't see it happen - even for the younger crowd. But I would love to be wrong here.

... Ah ... This thread was about a balancer, not the mounting machine.
That's an interesting side-track, though.

Back circa the early 1980's my cousin worked in GM's then-new S-10 factory at Shreveport. He claimed, at least as I understood, they had a big machine into which they loaded separate stacks of wheels, tires, and weights. Inflated and balanced wheel-tire assemblies automatically emerged from the machine ready to mount on the trucks. Possible then?

Originally Posted By: CR94
That's an interesting side-track, though.

Back circa the early 1980's my cousin worked in GM's then-new S-10 factory at Shreveport. He claimed, at least as I understood, they had a big machine into which they loaded separate stacks of wheels, tires, and weights. Inflated and balanced wheel-tire assemblies automatically emerged from the machine ready to mount on the trucks. Possible then?

I started calling on Ford in 1987 and all their tire lines were as you described. The only human interaction was loading the tires and wheels onto the line (in order!), installing the valves (I think that may have been automated later.), and applying the balance weights (They used clip-ons.) The machine mounted the tire onto the wheel, matched the dots (for a "rounder" assembly), inflated the tire, measured the balance of the assembly, and oriented the assembly so that the weights were easy to install - then conveyed the balanced assemblies to the vehicle line.

Originally Posted By: jakewells
Where I work, all we use is John Bean balance machines and my tires ride smooth - though the high tech Hunter machines are nice.

Are you using the B2000P model? That one has something similar to the Hunter GSP9700 so it can measure Road Force.

I am not familiar with John Bean balancers, so I wonder how good it is.

no our model is just a basic computer balancer no bells or whistles i will snap a pic at work tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back