Mobil Delvac 5w40 - 10 Yr Engine Tear Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil does have great products.
grin2.gif

Great video! It's amazing how far oils and engines have come. I can remember when doing bearing rolls in truck engines was common after 250,000 miles...and 10,000 hrs was considered "good" life from an off road engine. Only ever had experience with one KTA-38 Cummins...in a standby gen-set. Oil samples were awful but it's a tough life going from engine off to engine full rpm full load in less than a second.

Reactions: a5m
probably similar to 15k mi. OCI's by my calc....this formula has changed recently to the CK designation.

That's what I run in my Cummins Ram in my sig. Combined with Fleetguard Venturi Stratapore filters, I'm sure the engine will easily outlive me, and the Dodge truck it's installed in!

Originally Posted By: dblshock
probably similar to 15k mi. OCI's by my calc....this formula has changed recently to the CK designation.

Would like to see the what the CK-4 version VOA looks like, running out of my CJ-4 stash.

"Balanced additive formulation".
No doubt there is a VOA somewhere on this oil and I'm sure it has a healthy additive package. Probably has roller cam followers although all you could see in the video were roller rockers. Not to take anything away from the oil, but this engine rarely gets cold started I'm guessing in a commercial marine environment and probably lives most of its life at stable operating temps. This is a huge difference from running errands in a diesel pickup truck or even normal civilian driving in a diesel pickup.

Marine environments are also dust and dirt free by nature. Shouldn't make a difference with proper air filtering, but in the real world, some dirt always seems to get past the filter in, say, a construction or mining environment vs a marine installation. Great teardown, though and it was totally unnecessary on this engine other than to have a "peek" inside.

Originally Posted By: PiperOne
...and 10,000 hrs was considered "good" life from an off road engine. Only ever had experience with one KTA-38 Cummins...in a standby gen-set.

I know of a Kubota D905 spinning a Marathon 6KW head 24/7/365 at a remote signals outpost for the DOD.

23,000 hours last time I saw it - never been apart.

Originally Posted By: PiperOne
Great video! It's amazing how far oils and engines have come. I can remember when doing bearing rolls in truck engines was common after 250,000 miles...and 10,000 hrs was considered "good" life from an off road engine. Only ever had experience with one KTA-38 Cummins...in a standby gen-set. Oil samples were awful but it's a tough life going from engine off to engine full rpm full load in less than a second.

My dad used to do Journal bearings on the regular in the late 1960' / early 1970's. Oh and don't forget valve jobs every 60,000.
grin2.gif

This may sound stupid, but if the engine was in such great shape....what was the purpose of the rebuild? Im kinda confused there. Are these mandated by someone?

Just curious.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
This may sound stupid, but if the engine was in such great shape....what was the purpose of the rebuild? Im kinda confused there. Are these mandated by someone?

Jeff

Hard to say for sure, but this seems more like an infomercial for Mobil and I'm sure they have a certain amount of money in their R&D and advertising budgets for some sponsored real world field testing like this. They went out of their way to say that the initial fill in this engine was Delvac plus all other oil changes. If the results of the teardown were less than spectacular, they'd be under no obligation to show the public.

There's no agency in the U.S. that mandates periodic overhauls and inspection of commercial marine engines that I know of. This engine is obviously out of a river tug.

Reminds me of Doug Hillary's experience with Delvac 1 and his million Km tear-down results posted on here some time back.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
That's for emissions system protection - Low SAPS, correct?

Not the same as an ordinary low SAPS "PCMO." Even the current version still has SA of around 1.0. Technically, it's mid SAPS by the ACEA E sequences, at least in the descriptions, though they don't have any specific E sequence low SAPS version in the first place.

I'm on my last fill of Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 CJ-4, unfortunately. I wish I had bought more.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Linctex
That's for emissions system protection - Low SAPS, correct?

Not the same as an ordinary low SAPS "PCMO." Even the current version still has SA of around 1.0. Technically, it's mid SAPS by the ACEA E sequences, at least in the descriptions, though they don't have any specific E sequence low SAPS version in the first place.

I'm on my last fill of Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 CJ-4, unfortunately. I wish I had bought more.

Same here, last 3 gallons went in the truck recently. Still finding a good amount of Delo 5w40 CJ-4/SM on the Walmart shelves around me I’ve been buying to fill the garage shelf.

Self and two more at work jumped on the $23 D1 sale … they put in 2017 PSD and 2014 Ram Cummins …
(And farm equipment)

I normally never go past 7k … but OLM forgiveness aside … plan to do 10k which is a year for the 5.3L LH9

I guess I count myself lucky. I got the CJ-4 stuff almost as soon as it rolled out and carried on until about the end.

4WD: Yep, nice to find a deal like that. We don't get a lot of rebates, but the distributor is fair at regular price, so I can live with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back