Delo and Klondike CK-4 15W40 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the new CK-4 version of conventional Delo...Delo 400 SDE. The TBN will look low as the test used in a UOA lab and the test used by the lubricant makers is different. Spec sheet TBN is usually ASTM D-2896 vs the lab test ASTM D-4739. The lab test uses a weaker acid mix and will always return a lower number. One of the reasons I do VOA's.

For example, the link above for the Rotella is the 2896 test...used oil does not get tested with that test...so if you really want to know how much TBN you lost during use...apples to apples.

Ok, got it.
Thanks mate.
Btw,
welcome2.gif

Thanks for the contributions! I'm using Delo products as well and even with the low phos/zinc, it's doing just fine. The TBN is really holding up nicely in the CK-4 version of XLE.

Welcome to BITOG!

Originally Posted By: zeng
Which variant of Delo is this, TBN 7.93 looks very low ?

8 TBN is pretty common for HDDEO. There was a trend several years ago where some companies used boosters to get 10 TBN, but the demand for that has gone down quite a bit.

8 TBN is fine - especially when the oil retains it's TBN over the life of the drain - which Delo does quite well in my experience.

Thanks for posting the VOA's, PiperOne!
I'm currently using Delo 400 SDE 15W40 in my 12.7 liter Detroit Series 60. I have a UOA sample from my last PM service, that I haven't sent to the lab. After this run, which will be in another 8000+ miles, I'm switching over the Delo 400 XLE 10W30, which I use through the coldest months of winter.

I'm not familiar with the Klondike brand, on paper it looks very solid.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted By: Solarent
Originally Posted By: zeng
Which variant of Delo is this, TBN 7.93 looks very low ?

8 TBN is pretty common for HDDEO. There was a trend several years ago where some companies used boosters to get 10 TBN, but the demand for that has gone down quite a bit.

8 TBN is fine - especially when the oil retains it's TBN over the life of the drain - which Delo does quite well in my experience.

Yep, you're right as these are CK4/CJ4/E9.
My mindset is still stucked in the era of CI4/E7...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back