greasing leaf springs to prevent rust?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to put new leaf springs on my boat trailer since the old ones are getting too rusty. I figured I'd coat the new ones with grease since I have a ton of it that never gets used. Opinions?

I would use CarWell or Fluid Film to soak in between the leaves. I have started to do that on my boat trailer. You have them not installed so turn them sideways and let the stuff seep down.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You need something more penetrating than grease.

For starters, yes. This is a case where I'd coat with carwell/known and then pack with a waterproof grease after.

It works fine unless you are drive/towing in extremely dusty environs. The dust will work into the grease between the leaves and can act a polishing agent. You'll get accelerated wear. But, if not pulling on desert roads, no biggie
laugh.gif

We used to oil and grease the springs on the horse trailers so thet'd ride better and to resist the horse p
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: redbone3
I wonder if motorcycle chain lube might do for this job?

It will work as good as FF, maybe better. It will have to be reapplied often though, just like FF.

I think some leaf springs are drilled and have a grease nipple so youy can grease them with a gun from the inside out

You could perhaps get that done if you can find someone who knows what they're doing. DIY or inexpert pro you might risk starting cracks.

Failing that heat the grease to above its melting point and run it in sideways, as suggested above

Or use oil. If concerned about it washing off, use vegetable oil, (though this will eventually set solid) or a blend.

You can get or make spring covers but you probably dont want that on a boat trailer.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: redbone3
I wonder if motorcycle chain lube might do for this job?

It will work as good as FF, maybe better. It will have to be reapplied often though, just like FF.

Yeah, that's why I didn't recommend FF prior to greasing, I feel that known/carwell film lasts a bit longer in hi wash areas.

My Saab, which had been to Krown multiple times, always had a slight dirt/oily residue on the struts and wheelwell components which was reassuring to me.

Top the known with grease to lock it in and I'm hoping it will stay wicked in longer.

Many leaf springs are meant to not have an external lubricate applied. The spring lief themselves are supposed to have a specific friction between them. I once had a vehicle with leaf springs and I jacked up the vehicle and sprayed oil between the leafs. The rear of the vehicle became very soft and was a danger to turn quickly. Ed

I had some leaf springs re-arced on a 36 Ford and at that time they used a graphite grease. Then when the grease washed out the graphite was still left for lube. That place is probably not there anymore. Guess I am old. Memory still works though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back