5/32 too early to replace my tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're currently 1/32 away from the Washington head quarter test. Like you, I'd be looking at the Black Friday tire promotions at DT/DTD, and if I saw something that caught my eye, I would go ahead and replace them. If not then next one after that would be Christmas/New Years, if you can wait that long.

Another vote for DT/DTD Black Friday sale. They often have the BITOG-favorite Cooper CS5 Ultra at great prices with the rebates. And they come with 11/32 tread
smile.gif

The Michelin premier only starts with 8.5/32, so don't get that tire.

You might also like the Vredestein Quatrac 5 or Nokian WRG3. Not as cheap as the CS5, but they do have the 3-peak symbol for some extra snow capability.

The factory Continentals on her Santa Fe are at about 4/32 at 52k. I'm a cooper fan and was going to put some 80k mile Cooper CS5's on it but the local tire shop is giving me a great deal on some Mastercraft LSR grand touring 80k mile tires. Which are also made by Cooper and look identical to the CS5. We will see how they do. They get put on Monday.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Michelin claims their newest tires are safe to use down to 1.6mm (2/32")

You'll never pass a Texas vehicle safety inspection with tires that worn......

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
The factory Continentals on her Santa Fe are at about 4/32 at 52k. I'm a cooper fan and was going to put some 80k mile Cooper CS5's on it but the local tire shop is giving me a great deal on some Mastercraft LSR grand touring 80k mile tires. Which are also made by Cooper and look identical to the CS5. We will see how they do. They get put on Monday.

Consumer Reports says expect more like 70K miles.

I always replace my Silverado tires at 5/32nd. Everyone seems to say that traction goes way down after that. I'm sure you've experienced that, as have I.

I have Nokian eNTYRES that are down to 7/32s after 17k miles/1 year. I like how they have the remaining tread left in the middle rib. So just a quick glance tells. They started with 11 mm so they wear fast.

The eNTYRE 2.0 has percentages instead listed.

I usually take them down to the wear bars. My last set I replaced on the Gen Coupe the fronts stared to crack all around the tire just outside the tread on both sides at 45k. The Accent I never seem to wear them out but they start to crack or make a lot of noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back