Firewall, Box or Software?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what is better for a firewall, a hard box or software?

Currently use a Verizon JetPack for the wifi internet fed into a Netgear router as a client.

Have the desktop connected through an Ethernet cord and the laptops through wifi of the Netgear.

The advantage of a box over software is that a box will not slow your PC (or use any of its resources) whereas many software firewalls will (depending on how much traffic is flowing and how many rules are in place). Software can be cheaper than a box, is usually easier to configure, and **may** be updated more frequently than a box. I have used both and have had good luck with both.

It is working. I was wondering if there was something more robust? Netgear R6300 V2

Some times I directly access the internet through wifi and the Verizon Jetpack, bypassing the router. I need something to protect this I think. I don't often do so though.

What are you trying to protect that you need something more robust than your router?

The level of security should match the level of risk/loss.

When I use the USB wifi adapter on the desktop to the Verizon Jetpack there is no router. Or on my laptop directly accessing the Verizon Jetpack.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
When I use the USB wifi adapter on the desktop to the Verizon Jetpack there is no router. Or on my laptop directly accessing the Verizon Jetpack.

But what are you trying to filter? ESET Smart Security offers more "firewall" features than say their NOD32 product, but both block malicious URL's for example, so both do some traffic filtering.

There's no point investing in a hardware firewall, even a cheap one like a SonicWall, if there are going to be periods where you aren't using it and still want protection.

That's a useful piece of information... If you're accessing without the internet going through a physical box like your router, I would make sure to have some kind of software running locally on each machine.

Do you run a local virus protection software? A lot of times those package have a firewall built in (might have to pay more for that feature).

I suppose it's time to pony up for some paid anti virus. I currenty use Avast free.

I used to be on ESET Smart Security but it kept messing up with Windows Updates and I had to keep reinstalling it after a full removal to remedy the problem so I moved over to BitDefender and I'm quite happy. Just FWIW

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
I used to be on ESET Smart Security but it kept messing up with Windows Updates and I had to keep reinstalling it after a full removal to remedy the problem so I moved over to BitDefender and I'm quite happy. Just FWIW

That's odd, I've never experienced that on over 4-500 installs
21.gif
But most of those have been with EndPoint, though I do have a few small sites with Smart Security with a mix of Windows 7 and 10, no issues with Windows Update at any of them. Perhaps there was another underlying issue?

Yeah I was a hardcore user of ESET on all our PC's in the family and I had this issue with mine and then it started happening with my FIL's computer. I drove myself nuts trying to figure out why certain PC's would all of a sudden not be able to see each other on the network or network shares like printers would stop connecting at random and every time a windows update would happen to do with some networking component ESET would cause an issue and would need to be uninstalled and reinstalled using their removal tool to fix the problem. Then my dentist office (I fix all his PC's in exchange for free work on my teeth). He started having the same issue. So seeing as my license and his were up and BitDefender was offering unlimited PC's for one price I bought a license for that. I like the BitDefender Central anyway... You can see the status off all your clients in their website and can force upgrades etc. from there. Not sure if ESET Endpoint offers that but it's a great feature for me managing multiple PC's.

Last edited:
I see Bitdefender has a Black Friday $55 off special now.

They do and I always wait until my license is almost expired because their renewal deals get better and better the longer you wait.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Not sure if ESET Endpoint offers that but it's a great feature for me managing multiple PC's.

Endpoint, being their enterprise offering, has centralized management, yes.

One thing to remember is that licenses are portable, so it would be entirely possible to uninstall Smart Security and go with NOD32 for example, which drops the strict firewalling, which would likely have solved your network shares issue. I've never experienced the other issues you've had unfortunately, so I have no insight on that. I generally use and sell Endpoint because it's the most logical choice for most office and SMB installs which are usually behind a Cisco ASA or some other hardware firewall device.

Good to know... BitDefender lets you turn off the modules if you want. I currently have the Firewall turned off on one of my computers I use for certain things.
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back