Chevy valve tick

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 05 Tahoe with 155k miles. OC done at about 4-5k miles tops. I started getting the valve tick intermittently but now I get it when sitting idle for a few minutes (fully warmed up). The oil pressure is good. I tried Rislone recently and that didnt help much at all. Any suggestions? Maybe some type of engine flush? Thanks in advance.

Maybe try isolating which side the tick is on. Pop the valve cover off and take a look at the rocker arms. Any loose??? Springs ok??? With the engine warmed up and running I used to hold a rag folded over on the push rod side of the rocker arm while pushing on it. If tick goes away, you've found which one. Maybe a bad lifter, a worn rocker arm........ Good Luck!!!

Originally Posted By: oldhp
Maybe try isolating which side the tick is on. Pop the valve cover off and take a look at the rocker arms. Any loose??? Springs ok??? With the engine warmed up and running I used to hold a rag folded over on the push rod side of the rocker arm while pushing on it. If tick goes away, you've found which one. Maybe a bad lifter, a worn rocker arm........ Good Luck!!!

It’s defintely coming from the drivers side, sounds like it’s coming more towards the front.

Ya know........check the exhaust manifold bolts. Chevy had problems with the bolt heads breaking off, and the little exhaust leak will sound like a "tick".
21.gif

Front driver's side, and oil pressure is good? I am going along with the bad lifter. Of course, you have to pull the cylinder head off to get to it, and if the lifter is chewed up you might need a camshaft, too. It just happens sometimes.

V-6 ? V-8 ?

Sounds like you put good oil in it .

If it were mine , I might pull the valve cover ( as has been suggested ) & see what I learned . Then go from there .

Back in the day , a valve tick , on start up was not uncommon . If it went away after it warmed up , it was often ignored .

Best of luck to you , :)

It’s a V8 4.8L.

As far as the exhaust manifold bolts I replaced them with ARP bolts when I replaced the header gaskets.

I’m hoping it isn’t a bad lift. I haven’t had the time to pull off the valve covers just yet. The tick does go away shortyly after I give it a little gas. It doesn’t tick constantlyz

I think the company truck I drive has the 4.8l V-8 .

2008 model Silverado with 160,000 + miles & it purrs like a kitten .

Does it tick more or less , after the engine warms up ?

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
I think the company truck I drive has the 4.8l V-8 .

2008 model Silverado with 160,000 + miles & it purrs like a kitten .

Does it tick more or less , after the engine warms up ?

It’s hit or miss. Sometimes when it’s a cold start it doesn’t tick at all until it’s warmed up. It usually starts to tick sometimes while sitting at a stop light for an extended amount of time, then goes away once I get going.

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
I might go up one " step " in viscosity ...........

I was thinking about doing that this next OC. Thanks

My understanding is the 4.8l Chevy V-8 is an " LS " engine , one of the latest in the Chevy small block engine family . With many " improvements " from the older 283 , 305 , 307 , 327 , 350 , 400 .

You might do some google searching for this problem ? Or , also , do some searching on YouTube . I watched some videos by a guy call " MyVintageIron " on YouTube , about LS engines . Can not remember much about the oil pump / system . Might be able to leave some questions in the comment section of one of his LS videos ?

Hopefully , the " thicker " oil will do the trick .

From my experience with rislone it takes awhile to work on hard carbon. Greasy type sludge it dissolves pretty quickly. Run the concentrate a full oci for a couple changes.

Kreen is another good choice.

Liquimoly and Lubegard flushes seem to work well.

Originally Posted By: Oil_Flunky
From my experience with rislone it takes awhile to work on hard carbon. Greasy type sludge it dissolves pretty quickly. Run the concentrate a full oci for a couple changes.

I was also about to suggest Kreen. I have seen it quite loud lifters before, and i have personally used it to clean up an old motor. It is really good stuff and i wouldnt hesitate to use it.

Originally Posted By: ChevyMan93
Originally Posted By: Oil_Flunky

I was also about to suggest Kreen. I have seen it quite loud lifters before, and i have personally used it to clean up an old motor. It is really good stuff and i wouldnt hesitate to use it.

Im in CA and it was a pain to get Kreen. I used it years ago, Ill have to rummage through storage and see if I have any left over. Thats the only reason I was thinking of trying BG109 or LM Engine flush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back