What are the best brakes parts NAPA sells?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Napa sells 2 rotor lines, Premium, and Ultra Premium. Ultra premium is the best ones Napa sells, pretty good quality in my experience.

On pads, it looks like Napa carries Akebono Pro act, Nissin ceramic or Adaptive 1 (there are others but these are their better offerings)
Any of these would likely work well, I would lean towards the Akebono.

Not sure about your area, but my NAPA could have any of these next day.

NAPA has tried to brainwash me over the years at these classes/sales pitches saying they have the best brake parts but it all depends on what your looking for. the top of the line stuff is better, and the cheaper stuff is meant to compete with the autozone junk of the world. there is one thing they did point out about the majority of aftermarket brake pads is that that is the is no certification standards that they HAVE TO comply by if they don't want to. so think twice before you put on that auto zone brake pad made out of sawdust and horse glue. Also NAPA is like SEARS, they don't make anything that they put their name on.

Way back, they used to make brake shoes out of peanut shells & asbestos. Now, NAPA clings to that history in their "premium ceramic pads". This MSDS sheet shows they have "Cashew Resin" (wonder if that is with or without salt?) in the mix. Ofcourse they don't make it they only put their name on it. hahaha

Cashew resin is a byproduct of cashew nut processing. It's a source of uroshirol, the same stuff that makes poison ivy/oak irritating. The Japanese use it for lacquer since it dries hard - it's a phenolic plastic.

Last edited:
UPDATE:
I when with the Akebono ProAct pads and Napa Ultra Premium coated rotors. Getting the right parts proved to be a pain in the [censored]. Told Napa I need the parts for a 2012 Honda Accord V6. Parts showed up the next day. Started the install and nothing fit! The rotors were 1" smaller in overall diameter and the pads did not come with any new clips or springs. I took the rotors back and they ordered another set which fit. I also ordered a clip and spring kit and again nothing fit correctly. I was out of time and going into the 3rd day on this project so I reused the factory clips and springs. With a car this common I'm very surprised they had a hard time getting me parts that fit!

So my question is: Is it ok that I used the original factor clips and springs on the new pads? I'm hoping they are not worn out and will last another 75,000 miles till the next brake job. I really don't want to tear down the brakes again if I don't have to.

On the up side, the new Akebono brakes and Ultra Premium rotors seem really smooth and nice so far and have good grip! I broke/bedded them in by doing 10 45mph to 5mph stops and then let them cool. Drove as normal for the rest of the day and everything is smooth and quiet! Thanks everyone!

If the pad support ledges and clips don't snap into the caliper bracket, they may not be able to keep the pads from vibrating or sliding smoothly as they are used - they have a temper to them new and repeated heat cycling makes them lose it. Your brakes might be fine for now but the real test is much later down the road.

Originally Posted By: nthach
If the pad support ledges and clips don't snap into the caliper bracket, they may not be able to keep the pads from vibrating or sliding smoothly as they are used - they have a temper to them new and repeated heat cycling makes them lose it. Your brakes might be fine for now but the real test is much later down the road.

I asked My buddy that helped me install the parts said they clipped into place. He also mentioned the rear brakes were missing the V shaped springs on both rear breaks. He said there is no way they could fall out while in use and that the factory had miss installing them when the car was built. We installed the new V springs on the rears. Weird, huh?

The V-shaped springs, if they are the ones that seat into holes on the top edge of the pad backing plates are also there to help keep the pads from vibrating as well - Toyota uses them and I doubt they work as effectively as described.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back