Pick My Gear Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Frontier is coming up on 20,000 and I'm going to change out all of the driveline fluids just to get all the break-in "goodies" out. I'm sticking with Nissan Matic-S for the trans and Matic-D for the t-case per the recommendations in the owner's manual (I don't know why I can't use Matic-S in both, but I'll go with what they recommend).

For the rear diff, Nissan wants a 75w-90 GL-5 synthetic. For the front diff, they want a 80w-90 GL-5 non synthetic. (Again, I have no idea why I couldn't use 75w-90 in both) I'd like to change them now and not worry about them until ~100k or so. I know there's no "best", but would any of you have a recommended brand? I read a lot of good things about Amsoil's gear lubes. I don't care to pay Amsoil's prices if it's something I can change now and not think of for a long time. Amsoil says to leave it in 100k or the manufacturer's recommendation, whichever is longer. Would Mobil 1, Valvoline, etc... be just as good? Should I actually run a non-synthetic lube in the front diff since the manual specifically says "non-synthetic" or are they just emphasizing an 80w-90?

Sorry for all the questions. As you can see in my sig, diff lube is not something I deal with much.

Here's a vote for Ams Severe Gear 75-90. M1 or Valvoline syn shouldn't let you down by a long shot, either (I dare say both are better than the FF) but my opinion is Amsoil rises above either.

I don’t know if the front hubs unlock, but if they do and the front differential isn’t spinning maybe they want non-synthetic in the front because it clings to the gears better than some PAO based synthetic might. A synthetic would most likely be fine I like Redline’s gear and transmission oils best.

Why not just go with Nissan's gear oil? One stop shop and done. There are tons of vehicles out there that the gear oil never gets changed and they last for several 100's thousand miles.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Amsoil SVG.
Another vote for Amsoil SVG. You may want to consider 75W-110 which has the viscosity that 75W-90 had before the J306 tables were updated.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
Why not just go with Nissan's gear oil? One stop shop and done. There are tons of vehicles out there that the gear oil never gets changed and they last for several 100's thousand miles.

Because they want ~$15 a quart for the "genuine" stuff and if I'm going to pay that, I would like some added "warm and fuzzies" of a well regarded synthetic to go with it. I'm sure the Nissan stuff is just fine though. And yeah, I could never change it, but I am a member here so...
lol.gif

The local dealer quoted me $10.75/qt for a case of Matic-S. I found it on Amazon for $8.33 with free shipping.
banana2.gif
The only thing I plan on buying at the dealer is the Matic-D for the t-case since I only need 3 quarts.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the suggestions. If I can source it fairly easily, I'd like to go with Amsoil. If for no other reason than just to run Amsoil in something.

Last edited:
Not a big fan … Amsoil is buying materials from majors and blends them into a good final product ~ but the dealer part, price, and the Amsoil approach to builder approvals keeps me away …

Originally Posted By: JoeJ
Why do people recommend Amsoil here so much? Is it a dealer thing?
I cannot speak for others, but for me, it is not a dealer thing, it is a great gear oil. I have actually used it and had a good experience whereas some bash it without ever having used it.

I have a 2005 f150 4x4 with amsoil through out the drive train for 460000 kms of the 513000 that are on the vehicle. No issues at all, and still going strong.

Just to update this thread, I went a completely different route than I had thought about. I used Valvoline Synpower 75w-90 for the front and rear diffs. There are no dealers near me for Amsoil or Redline and the online prices are pretty steep. My local Autozone had plenty of Valvoline in stock so that's what I went with. Due to the amount of "goodies" on the drain plugs' magnets, I'm glad I changed it early.

Originally Posted By: fenixguy
Just to update this thread, I went a completely different route than I had thought about. I used Valvoline Synpower 75w-90 for the front and rear diffs. There are no dealers near me for Amsoil or Redline and the online prices are pretty steep. My local Autozone had plenty of Valvoline in stock so that's what I went with. Due to the amount of "goodies" on the drain plugs' magnets, I'm glad I changed it early.
You made a good choice. I am not a fan of Ashland for personal reasons, but Valvoline is good oil and your choice is a synthetic so you should have some "cushion" for variable operating conditions.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
What did Ashland spin off … like 20% of Valvoline?
I am not sure--I could not find a clear statement on that in any of the articles I read. My beef is with Ashland itself. If CP, BP, XOM, Chevron, or SOPUS bought Valvoline, I would use it.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back