Why can't people just park?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 02SE

Sure, there are people that will abuse anything. But you seem to be assuming that everyone that has a disability that you can't immediately identify, is one of the those abusers.

I just find your comments ironic.

If you knew the abuse going on here you would think otherwise but you don't so think what you will.

I don't think it's that annoying, maybe it'd be more annoying if I was in a hurry to get something in the store and get out. My biggest problem is people dilly daddling in stores, blocking aisles, etc...

I try to park where my vehicle isn't surrounded on all sides by a car. So any place that may have some kind of shrubbery or trees, anything sealed off by a concrete curb. At my Walmart, my favorite spot is this one row on the very edge where it's just a single row of parking and grass behind with a concrete curb, pair that with the edge that I take and now my vehicle only is vulnerable to one side and the front.

Also, I never pull in to spots, always back in every time or pull through. I don't like backing out of spaces, personally.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Aimless and inattentive driving on the highways every day is of less concern to me since me and mine are riding in a metal structure of very well proven crashworthiness.
Walking among the clueless and aimless in a parking lot isn't quite the same.
Do you understand the difference?

You have your opinion and I have mine. What that means is that this is a forum for discussion of different points of view. You understand that, correct?

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
Also, I never pull in to spots, always back in every time or pull through. I don't like backing out of spaces, personally.

Wait until you get to 55-65 years old. I'm surprised at how inept I've become at backing into spaces safely. My neck and back just don't rotate like they used to, not to mention vision just not as sharp. I only back in when there are multiple spots open on either side of me...and even then it may take 2-3 tries to center up. The type of car one drives can hurt or help.

Originally Posted By: StevieC

Sure, there are people that will abuse anything. But you seem to be assuming that everyone that has a disability that you can't immediately identify, is one of the those abusers.

I just find your comments ironic.

If you knew the abuse going on here you would think otherwise but you don't so think what you will.

But like 02SE said, in one of your previous posts you said that others have incorrectly thought the same of you just because you don't use a walker or a wheelchair. One cannot always tell whether or not a person is disabled just by looking at them. So, think what you will.

I would never say anything to anyone using the spot but I know that the spots are being abused and it's why I can't find one when I need it on my bad days. Confirmed by the investigations done recently.

There is a difference between what THEY do and what I think but don't act upon. See what I'm getting at?

If it`s cold or rain threats then I would like to get close to the entrance. Otherwise I`m ok for a walk.

I would never say anything to anyone using the spot but I know that the spots are being abused and it's why I can't find one when I need it on my bad days. Confirmed by the investigations done recently.

There is a difference between what THEY do and what I think but don't act upon. See what I'm getting at?

Yes, it's very clear what you're getting at.

You make assumptions, but don't like it when others make assumptions about you.

Yes, it's very clear what you're getting at.

You make assumptions, but don't like it when others make assumptions about you.

Exactly, but people generally don't accept it when someone points out that they are thinking, saying, or doing something that they are accusing others of.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Aimless and inattentive driving on the highways every day is of less concern to me since me and mine are riding in a metal structure of very well proven crashworthiness.
Walking among the clueless and aimless in a parking lot isn't quite the same.
Do you understand the difference?

You have your opinion and I have mine. What that means is that this is a forum for discussion of different points of view. You understand that, correct?

Sure, but when a poster expresses an opinion that fails to reflect reality, they can then expect to be called on it.

Baffles me as well, I don't wanna judge, some people may have bad knees or something but it seems like a lot people do it.
It may be just the way some people are, they have to get the closest spot to make them feel good. Some people frequently change lanes, they feel the need to be in the lane that is moving slightly faster ( for the moment being at least ).
You ever catch some people go to the stop sign with the intent to run it, than they see you kinda close but still go in front of you anyway, that's an addiction to driving that way, some people have been driving like that for many years and can't change that habit. It doesn't surprise me when some young people drive recklessly so to speak, they will learn their lesson, we've all been there, but when I see older people running stop signs and going in and out of traffic I feel bad for them and their children.

I always park way out in the lot and on the high side of a row whenever possible. People are generally lazy and leave carts where they don't belong, and on several occasions I've watched them roll across to the low side of a row and smack into nice cars.

I have been talked down to because I'm not pushing a walker or in a wheel chair. As if me walking hunched over and with a slight limp isn't telling enough. Some people...

And yet in your first post you assume that others don't have a legitimate need for their Handicapped Permit...

Quite the opposite. There is abuse going on here with quack doctors giving out permits for a fee instead of for those that need it. I would be the first not to judge but I know this to be the case as it has been in the media quite frequently.

The abusers often have quite the nerve too.

One of my friends has been in a wheel chair since birth. He drives with hand controls, plays sled hockey, etc. He is a year older than me (28) and drives a truck. His chair comes apart and he puts it in the back of his truck. One day he parked in a handicapped spot, and this older woman started screaming at him from her car before he even got out. Claiming he was parked in her spot and didn't have the right to park there.

He gets his chair out, wheels over to her car, and yup, it's some obese woman with an expired temporary handicap sticker.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

The abusers often have quite the nerve too.

One of my friends has been in a wheel chair since birth. He drives with hand controls, plays sled hockey, etc. He is a year older than me (28) and drives a truck. His chair comes apart and he puts it in the back of his truck. One day he parked in a handicapped spot, and this older woman started screaming at him from her car before he even got out. Claiming he was parked in her spot and didn't have the right to park there.

He gets his chair out, wheels over to her car, and yup, it's some obese woman with an expired temporary handicap sticker.

So the moral of the story is: She makes incorrect assumptions about people too.

Funny thing about the handicap placards is my grandma had one and we hardly ever used it once she started using a wheel chair when we were out. It was easier for me to park in the middle of nowhere and have room to get her out and into her chair. Usually the handicap spots that had room to do something like that were either taken or someone was parked in the striped spot. Made no difference to me how far I was pushing her in her wheelchair. Plus I figure someone else probably actually needed it more than I or my grandma did.

The people who need to walk the most are typically the ones who try to park the closest to the entrances.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Funny thing about the handicap placards is my grandma had one and we hardly ever used it once she started using a wheel chair when we were out. It was easier for me to park in the middle of nowhere and have room to get her out and into her chair. Usually the handicap spots that had room to do something like that were either taken or someone was parked in the striped spot. Made no difference to me how far I was pushing her in her wheelchair. Plus I figure someone else probably actually needed it more than I or my grandma did.

My friend in the chair usually just parks farther away so he has room to get out. He will only use the handicap spots if there are not any other spots with enough room to get out. He finds that even if he parks in the handicapped spot, there is always some idiot who will park an inch away from his driver side door so he can't get in. He has had to climb in through the passenger side and over the seat a number of times because of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back