What did I miss, and when did I miss it ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Royal Purple oil filters are very good. Amsoil EAO oil filters good enough. All others, nope.

The Royal Purple filter is, as per their website 99% @ 25 microns.

The AMSOIL EaO filter is, as per their website 98.7% @ 20 microns.

The FRAM Ultra is more efficient than both of them, but the AMSOIL is more efficient than the Royal Purple, which likely has to do with their use of Donaldson synthetic glass media.

Royal Purple filters are 99%@25um and 98.7 @20um, the same rating as Amsoil. This is stated in the RP FAQ section of their website under what are the efficiency ratings of RP filters, and what are beta ratios. I'd say based on anecdotes posted and efficiency information, excepting the RP purple color adbv and can labels, same filters.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Royal Purple filters are 99%@25um and 98.7 @20um, the same rating as Amsoil. This is stated in the RP FAQ section of their website under what are the efficiency ratings of RP filters, and what are beta ratios. I'd say based on anecdotes posted and efficiency information, excepting the RP purple color adbv and can labels, same filters.

Toyota TRD also quotes 98.7%@20 I believe, and those are also likely the same filter as RP or Amsoil.
Here is a quote from Fram:

End-users should also be wary of numbers games – they can also be played
with B ratios. B ratios higher than 75 indicate little additional improvement in
filtering efficiency. Furthermore, the test procedure to develop the B ratio is
valid only for B value up to 75. For B ratios of 75 and higher, there are not
enough particles in downstream liquid samples to make counting them
statistically significant.

Table also from them:

Values And Corresponding Efficiency Levels
Beta = 1.0 = 0.0% Efficient
Beta = 1.2 = 16.67% Efficient
Beta = 1.5 = 33.33% Efficient
Beta = 2.0 = 50.00% Efficient
Beta = 3.0 = 66.67% Efficient
Beta = 4.0 = 75.00% Efficient
Beta = 16.0 = 93.75% Efficient
Beta = 20.0 = 95.00% Efficient
Beta = 50.0 = 98.00% Efficient
Beta = 75.0 = 98.67% Efficient

http://www.fram.com/media/7066/fluidfilterrating.pdf

So it is interesting Champ labs stops at the 98.7% statistical limit while others maybe tweek marketing a bit harder.
34.gif

Originally Posted By: Sayjac

Colour me corrected. Then yes, I'd say they are the same filter.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: HouseTiger
It seems that as of about a year or do back that Fram and the Orange Can Of Death were considered marginally improved over a roll of paper towels stuffed in a bean can.

So who were you during most of that year or two? You joined in April of this year, what was your screen name before you became "HouseTiger"?

There was none . . . I would come on the site and read the posts off and on. Joined last April so I could actually post questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back